Honest opinions on Watershed

I still think it's the best Opeth album. I'm very much into prog rock/metal and maybe that's why I really like the band's evolution. It's the most diverse album they've ever done, it's wonderfully performed, very fresh sounding and it shows a huge potential for future releases. But it will be hard to top, imo.

It might lack something of what I'd call the "genuine Opeth sound" (Still Life/Blackwater Park era) but that doesn't make Watershed a worse album to me. In fact, my favourite track is Hex Omega, which is the least "typically Opethian" song from the album.

^ It's a well performed album, but it falls short with songs in the middle of the album. The first three songs are awesome, but then there's Burden... I don't see, why people are so much into it. And wait, it gets worse... there come Porcelain Heart. Luckily the last two songs are decent.

Honestly, after all this time I just think it's "OK". It doesn't excite me like their other releases, it is just lacking something, idk. I've really, REALLY tried to get into this album, but it just ain't happening...:erk:

I'll probably listen to BWP, MAYH and SL 100X before I listen to Watershed again.

^ It's a well performed album, but it falls short with songs in the middle of the album. The first three songs are awesome, but then there's Burden... I don't see, why people are so much into it. And wait, it gets worse... there come Porcelain Heart. Luckily the last two songs are decent.

Well, I agree that Porcelain Heart is the weakest song, but I still find it pretty good. I only dislike the ending riffs. And I LOVE Burden. It reminds me of those epic ballads from early King Crimson (e.g.: Epitaph).

Absolutely brilliant album.

By far the best of 2008 (the first person to argue that Cynic was #1 gets smacked upside the head).

Absolutely brilliant album.

By far the best of 2008 (the first person to argue that Cynic was #1 gets smacked upside the head).

cynic doesn't deserve #1 but esoteric and dso both rape the shit out of basically anything else that came out in 08 for metal. with coldworld and darkspace not being that far behind tmv/ctk.

^ The Maniacal Vale is a very good album. Others that I liked are Virgin Black's Requiem - Fortissimo and To-Mera's Delusions.

As far as best of 2008 goes, it is a given that Britney Spear's Circus > all.

cynic doesn't deserve #1 but esoteric and dso both rape the shit out of basically anything else that came out in 08 for metal. with coldworld and darkspace not being that far behind tmv/ctk.

Did DSO release anything besides Chaining the Katechon last year?

nope but chaining the katechon shit all over most 08 releases. spectacular ep, makes me look forward to the next full-length tremendously.

Guess I just don't consider *one* long song to be much of a "best of year" release..though the next full length will probably end up in my top 5 (probably 3rdish at this rate, only guessing I'll enjoy Porcupine Tree and Morbid Angel a little more) of...2009 I hope, not like they have insane touring schedules to distract them or anything.