Horror DVDs

The new versoin compares really well, because the original has dated so badly. The storyline is more or less the same, except there's more characters in the remake. The original has more social comment and black humour, and really, really bad make-up.

I enjoyed the remake, but I love the original so much.

The thing that pissed me off about the remake was the fact that the ZOMBIES WERE RUNNING. They're zombies dammit! Obvious cash in after 28 Days Later... people have to realise that they were infected, but very much alive in 28 Days Later.

Haha yes I was thinking about you talking about running zombies when I was watching it! I couldn't remember which zombie film you were talking about though. I havenae seen 28 Days Later....fill me in....

I watched Shaun of the Dead the other day. Good film! It's nice to see a film like that made in England.

Do any video shops stock those 70s Italian horror films? I'd like to hire some to check them out.

Shaun of the Dead rocks!

You will find some old video rentals of '70s Italian horror stuff but it aint easy anymore, most video stores have gotten rid of most of the old videos in ex-rental sales. Also the majority of Italian horror from that era was targeted in the whole video nasty fuss and got heavily cut on tape. You'll find Dario Argento films pretty easily though, especially Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebrae, and Phenomena (going under the name Creepers), but anything else is hard now.

More and more is coming out on DVD though, Umbrella especially release alot. So any video stores who carry a good deal of non-mainstream stuff could have them for hire. Stuff like Zombie (re-titled as Zombie Flesh Eaters here), Zombie Holocaust, Burial Ground, City of the Living Dead, New York Ripper, Cannibal Ferox, The Beyond, Salon Kitty, Shock, etc is all available here. I can always burn you some stuff too, I mainly import the US versions - cheaper and with better artwork, better extras and often booklets or inserts of original poster reproductions which we never get. And without those fucking annoying new OFLC logos all over the covers haha.

I'll have to write down some of those titles and check my local video shop. They get a fair bit of horror, arthouse etc, so there's a chance they'll have some of them. If you could burn some it'd be much appreciated! Whatever you think's good....

No problem! I love it all though, even the bad stuff lol, I just love the whole vibe & look & feel of Italian horror/exploitation flicks haha. But it's an aquired taste, most people aren't as forgiving as me with those films, which usually have pretty ordinary dubbing, bad dialogue, over acting and bad scripts! (To me though, that stuff gets overshadowed by the unreal cinematography, great locations, inventive camera work, smutty attitude, AWESOME soundtracks/scores and way better atmosphere than most US horror).

Yeah it does - Motley Crue, Pretty Maids, Saxon, Billy Idol, Accept...

But even the scores themselves in Italian horror films are amazing I reckon. I mean Goblin/Claudio Simonetti stuff is simply the best horror scores ever written, and then Ennio Morricone did about 50 Italian horror flicks in the 70s, and even the scores on Fulci's films who I dont even know who does them, they are all great too. The score in "Zombie" is so simple but haunting and you never forget it.

Trixxi Trash said:
Yeah it does - Motley Crue, Pretty Maids, Saxon, Billy Idol, Accept...

But even the scores themselves in Italian horror films are amazing I reckon. I mean Goblin/Claudio Simonetti stuff is simply the best horror scores ever written
Goblins masterpiece with Argentos Suspiria is the scariest and the coolest soundtrack EVER recorded.
John Carpenters own work on the Halloween soundtrack is awesome to - and inspired by the above movie!

Yeah "Halloween" has one of the best & most memorable scores ever, and yeah I remember seeing John Carpenter saying it was the "repetition" of one melody building up in Suspiria's soundtrack that inspired it! Carpenter's soundtrack in "Assault On Precinct 13" was pretty cool too, in that first 20 minutes of the film setting it up. First 20 minutes of that movie when the girl gets gunned down was excellent but I lost interest a bit during the siege part. Haven't bothered with the remake.

I also love Simonetti's soundtracks on Phenomena, Tenebrae & Sleepless - excellent!!

Trixxi Trash said:
Yeah "Halloween" has one of the best & most memorable scores ever, and yeah I remember seeing John Carpenter saying it was the "repetition" of one melody building up in Suspiria's soundtrack that inspired it! Carpenter's soundtrack in "Assault On Precinct 13" was pretty cool too, in that first 20 minutes of the film setting it up. First 20 minutes of that movie when the girl gets gunned down was excellent but I lost interest a bit during the siege part. Haven't bothered with the remake.

I also love Simonetti's soundtracks on Phenomena, Tenebrae & Sleepless - excellent!!
Agreed :)

I watched Creep last night, pretty fine horror from England set in the subway. Had potential to be great but slipped a bit towards the end. The Skeleton Key was another of the more promising horror movies of late.

Creep is on my list. Lola is cool.

I really enjoyed Skeleton Key, far more than I expected I would.

I finally watched The Devil's Rejects on Sunday night, and I enjoyed it. Not near as brutal as House Of 1000 Corpses, but worked better as a movie with a solid story. The absence of Dr Satan was a little weird...it didn't suffer because of it, but I dunno....it makes that part of the first film seem a little more odd now I guess. Still, good shit.
I have a question that Shannow might be the best to answer....in the film, what were the two last songs played? While they are driving towards the police at the end, and during the credits?