HOT SAUCE

I use Sriracha more than any other condiment. I go through about 2 bottles a week and I've been doing this for a long while now. From soups, pizza... Fuck, EVERYTHING! If I had to choose one condiment to use for the rest of my life in lieu of others it would be sriracha hands down. I am THE NUMBER ONE SRIRACHA FAN. I've went so far as to put it on a glazed donut. It was delicious. Derick and myself are self-professed pepperheads and have gone through the motions of selecting and trying most publicly available varieties. In fact, we talk about hot sauce on almost a daily basis. I've found that for mexican-style hot sauces I like Cholula. I also like Tapatio for chips. I eat bags of potato chips Mexican-style. This simply means you open the bag, drown them in hot sauce, close, shake, and then peel open to enjoy. As far as American sauces go, Tobasco is a wonderful sauce but too vinegary for some applications. I find that it makes a great marinade and works wonders for soups, though. On the other hand, the Habanero Tobasco is absolutely god-awful. I'm a fan of the Habanero (I grow the Red Caribbean variety) and they do a great disservice to it. As opposed to bringing out the inherent fruity Caribbean tones and flavors of the habanero, they turn it into something reminiscent of Windex. Other than that, no complaints on the Tobasco end. Sometimes I also enjoy Red Dot Louisianna Hot sauce and Red Devil cayenne for fish frys and whatnot. There's also this bargain brand of sauces called TryMe that has some pretty delicious varieties. I believe you can find them at most major grocers. As far as picante sauce, I only eat the kind that comes out of my garden. Oh, and we can't forget the "extreme" sauces. I always keep a bottle of Dave's Insanity on hand. I've tried the higher-end Blair's and they are pretty equivalent in terms of taste. The problem with high capsaicin sauces (I'd say over 500,000 SHU) is that they are developed by using extracts and not so much used for flavor as for heat. People commonly misunderstand that and try to use them as flavor enhancers when they aren't really designed for that. They add heat to flavors which beg for it. A common application in my kitchen is to use it alongside the Cayenne (or traditionally Jalapeno) for a booster in Chili Verde. It's also great for chili but still can't compare to a "natural" 5-star chili.

that was like a love letter to hot sauce.

This simply means you open the bag, drown them in hot sauce, close, shake, and then peel open to enjoy.

that made me throw up in my mouth just a tad bit.

Well goddamnit Erik, I think you have at least one answer than! WE ARE ALL PART OF THE SRIRACHA CULT, JOIN NOOWW! I just ordered some to Iraq.

i will do all in my power to find a bottle of sriracha locally

i'll keep all of y'all posted

Habanero Tobasco is absolutely god-awful.
really? i LOVE it. i think the exotic fruitiness of the mango and whatnot goes absolutely exquisitely with the habanero heat. i tried it on a ham and pineapple pizza and i wanted to cry out of sheer overwhelming joy

On the topic of Blair's products, anyone tried Blair's Death Rain kettle chips? They are deadly hot but once I've opened them I can't stop eating them... only pain in the ass is that they seem to normally cost something like $3.69 for a 5oz bag.

G4105_blairs_death_rain_habanero_chips.jpg

Also, wtf is this all about?

The strength of Blair's hottest product, "Blair's 16 Million Reserve", is 16 million Scoville units (Tabasco, in comparison, is 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units). It contains only capsaicin crystals, and is the hottest possible capsaicin-based sauce. Only 999 bottles of "Blair's 16 Million Reserve" were produced, each one signed and numbered by the firm's founder, and have all been sold.

One of my old bosses from a fundraising firm I used to work for had a bottle of that in his office. Absolutely useless collector's item but really cool nonetheless.. IIRC he paid quite a lot for it. I seriously feel sorry for the fucker who decides to try that stuff on a whim, it could potentially kill you outright or throw you into cardiac arrest. Honestly, I don't see a logical approach to using the stuff without fucking lab supplies and about 100 gallons of chili.

this thread got me thinking.

i seem to hear a lot lately about this search for spicy and hot sauces/foods in Euro countries.
most if not all of them typically do not cook anything hot at all.

I know just as an immediate observation is that I got my pretty much entire wife's side of the family into the spiciness of Pakistani and Indian cuisine. they literally ask me to go and get it for them once in awhile.
hot sauces also.

begs the question if one should start some biz distributing them shits all over Europe.

yeah i tried those death rain chips, most of my friends could only eat one or two but i finished the rest of the bag. they're not that bad. but the flavour is kind of shit except the heat so it's a bit of a gimmick thing

I still need to try the Tabasco Habanero. I mostly use regular Tabasco, Chipotle Tabasco, or Srirachi (sp?). Srirachi, if used abundantly, will give me the holy shits though.

There is this cuban (or was it Dominican?) hot sauce that I had once that is just amazing. I gotta run down to the bodega one day, shoo the roaches away, and grab a bottle.

One of my old bosses from a fundraising firm I used to work for had a bottle of that in his office. Absolutely useless collector's item but really cool nonetheless.. IIRC he paid quite a lot for it. I seriously feel sorry for the fucker who decides to try that stuff on a whim, it could potentially kill you outright or throw you into cardiac arrest. Honestly, I don't see a logical approach to using the stuff without fucking lab supplies and about 100 gallons of chili.

Got sprayed in the face with 5,000,000 Scoville heat unit Oleoresin Capsicum spray and than made to fight/do an obstacle course/suffer, in the Marine Corps.

Good 'ol training, one of the worst pains of my life, if not the worst.

This is my favourite hot sauce, as it has really good flavour without going overboard on the heat.
S038763-2D.jpg

My mate also has made his own with home grown chillis and jalapenos. This is even better, I can't wait for his next batch.

With these hot sauces....isn't there just a small handful of ingredients that can constitute a hot sauce? I know you can probably put poop in one if you felt like it, but you know what I mean. In that regard, why and how can there be a million different brands? It's all the same stuff, right? There's only like three species of peppers that are hot, right? I used to work in this gourmet deli and they had racks and racks of different hot sauces and they always used to piss me off because they were all the same fucking thing but with just different kitschy wrappings.

Heh. I just remembered I stole one that had a little plastic skull attached to it. It was the only thing I ever stole in my life. I have no idea what happened to the sauce. Probably went straight into the trash