how bands work?

cacto

what?
Nov 7, 2006
Canada, moving soon
i was thinking... you have a band. you are good. you play a few(hundred?) gigs ,all members pool some money and record a demo on a crappy studio

then what you do after? burn CDs at home and sell of your trunk? send them to studios and hope do get a contract? what is the next step?

The next step is pray to the gods of metal that somebody high up gets hold of your demo or some material and then hope that you get brought on a festival tour or something. Chances are usually slim to none unless you actually bring something new to the world of metal instead of just doing exactly what everyone else before you does.

i was thinking... you have a band. you are good. you play a few(hundred?) gigs ,all members pool some money and record a demo on a crappy studio

then what you do after? burn CDs at home and sell of your trunk? send them to studios and hope do get a contract? what is the next step?

Tape trade like hell. Or wait a bit longer and record a better quality cd.

suck a bunch of dicks

Söy;5948234 said:
give oral sex to record executives.

FUCK U BEAT ME TO IT!! :lol::lol:

The next step is pray to the gods of metal that somebody high up gets hold of your demo or some material and then hope that you get brought on a festival tour or something. Chances are usually slim to none unless you actually bring something new to the world of metal instead of just doing exactly what everyone else before you does.

Amen.

Also, having a myspace can help. If you have a myspace that has thousands of friends that means you have a large following and therefore can be a good investment and that adds to the incentive for a label to sign you.

These days, playing local shows and having a myspace will get you far. But only so far before it stops, you kinda need to get signed if you want to make a living off your music (Assuming you don't want to play pop or rock.)

burn CDs at home and sell of your trunk?

Bad idea I say, if you decide to sell them, no one will want to buy your demo if they havn't heard of you. If they havn't heard of you they wont shell out $5 for your shitty blank CD (and im not saying your demo is shit, just in the eyes of the people buying :p).

Handing them out, with a band website written on them (even if its just a myspace), could work. If one person sees your show, likes it, give them a demo. They will probably end up sending the songs to friends or lending them the CD.

i appreciate the serious and almost seriousl answers, helpful

Bad idea I say, if you decide to sell them, no one will want to buy your demo if they havn't heard of you. If they havn't heard of you they wont shell out $5 for your shitty blank CD (and im not saying your demo is shit, just in the eyes of the people buying :p).

Handing them out, with a band website written on them (even if its just a myspace), could work. If one person sees your show, likes it, give them a demo. They will probably end up sending the songs to friends or lending them the CD.

true, but imagine how much money a blank demo CD would be worth if it was written with a marker by alexi hehe.

True....if you ever got to be that big, the reason you make demos is so you can get more people listening to you're tunes, not to have somthing that might be worth more money in 10 years.

The economic side of being in a signed band should have zero effect on your writing. That is called selling out, and it dishonors the word "Musician".

Took the words right outa my mouth

another thing you can do is make a demo, regardless of how low-quality it is,make it and go to a concert, and hand your demo to the band playing.

You might not get it to the headliner,but take that chance, or give it to the opening band.

And IF you get a record deal - HAVE A LAWYER LOOK AT IT FIRST!
There are many fine print type of things...

And when/if you get signed, demand that once your band has finished paying back the money for recording or whatever money the record label at first loan you, that your band gets all the rights to your songs. I don't know why the rights to sound recordings belong to the record label for good...in my opinion they should transfer to the artist once recording fees have been paid back...

*Frowns*