How did these guys not make it?

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
I bought the CD when it first came out and still have it! Killer stuff. I remember back home in Houston they came to town with Dream Theater and Fates Warning. :kickass:

T-RIDE!

I hope the video shows up.....not shure how to post a youtube vid here.

Edit: Suck....the video did not show up. How do you post a vid here?

For a Youtube video (I fixed yours) simply use BBCODE (without the dots) [.youtube]e4hOyCxiIP4[./youtube] (e4hOyCxiIP4 = video name as seen in the YouTube URL).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too bad - I actually never even heard anything by these guys (T-Ride for those that don't know, I had to look it up!).

Pretty slick tune, unique for sure. Maybe that was the problem.

Not too bad - I actually never even heard anything by these guys (T-Ride for those that don't know, I had to look it up!).

Pretty slick tune, unique for sure. Maybe that was the problem.

The guitarist, Jeff Tyson, was one of Satriani's students. He doesn't do too much as far as flashy lead playing but his rhythm and riffing is incredible.

T-Ride was a great band but I think the problem with them having any kind of longevity was that their sound was so unique, I can't see how they could have made a follow-up album without simply ripping themselves off or going in a completely opposite direction. And they were too oddball at the time, too. To my knowledge, there wasn't a strong progressive metal underground at the time that would have helped these guys. They were too weird for the masses, and came out at a time when metal was being regulated to a back drawer in the mainstream anyway, and they weren't heavy enough for the thrash and death end of things. The result was a band without much of an audience. I am always glad when a band like this is remembered (along with Paw and Life Sex & Death, two other cool bands that undeservedly fell by the wayside).

I like the vocals, a little on the '80's metal side, but I guess that was to be expected for the times. Besides, I think the off-kilter vocals worked for the rest of the music.

As a side-note, original material-challenged rockers Snake River Conspiracy covered "You and Your Friend" of all things on their album from a few years back. Pretty decent cover, even if it didn't have the bizarre guitarwork.

Warning. Do NOT Play your T-Ride Cd while driving. It can cause the driver to end up being the recipient of speeding tickets. Not saying it happened to me. I didn't get caught. But all to easy to get caught up in the infectious music and let it take over your right foot.

Coldie

I got the T-Ride cd the same day as i got Images and Words back in 1992...talk about a good music day.
The T-ride cd still gets lots of play at my place and is probably my fave debut of all time.
Great original guitar player (rhythm and lead) and awesome vocal harmonies.

I hope one day the second T-Ride cd sees the light of day...i'm pretty sure it was almost finished.

Timing. The first album was probably 1992-93? The world was knee deep in grunge by then. I had the first album and liked it a lot. What the hell happened to that thing? I'd forgotten all about it.

Ne'er heard of 'em!

Sounds like the name of my car. The T-Ride... :p

*plays youtubes*

EDIT: :guh:......................... I.LOVE.THIS.BAND!
Simultaneously scratches my itch for 80's rock & Prog, and there's robots! I don't believe it.

T Ride's oddity would not even let them fit in the prog metal genre that DT was exploding at that time. Most listeners getting into the genre would hear this & scratch their heads. Their style might be more accessible today...may have been a case of them being a little ahead of the times. l would have liked to seen them advance...would have been interesting.

Ne'er heard of 'em!

*plays youtubes*

Simultaneously scratches my itch for 80's rock & Prog, and there's robots! I don't believe it.

You have to find a copy of s/t CD. It is awsome!:headbang:

They didn't make it cuz they had no direction, trying to worship G'n'R, 70's hard rock, be progressive, etc. w/ a terrible vocalist to match. Forgettable songs and riffs. I had a friend that got that cd when it came out and it was the only damned thing he would listen to, over and over, it drove me insane!

Ne'er heard of 'em!

*plays youtubes*

Yeah, me too. You know how these old guys are! :p They throw these obscure bands at you left and right. :lol:

~Brian~