How Did you Descover Daylight Dies?

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
So... How did you find this great band?

I personally discovered them when listening to my Opeth Pandora channel. I don't know when that was... about a year ago? I got No Reply that same day. I got Dismantling Devotion a few months after.

Don't remember exactly when/where, but I guess I first read/heard about them in like 2001 or so, possibly here on UM even. There was a site mp3.com (which still exists but in another form, it was like what myspace is now, for music that is) and I listened to some songs there, that had to have been the Idle songs. Actually I didn't think it was anything special and didn't pay attention to them anymore. But then No Reply came out in 2002 and I listened to that and really liked it. Their legendary (to me) gig in Utrecht in March 2003 helped a lot as well, been a fan ever since..

I honestly don't remember exactly but I think I saw an ad for Dismantling Devotion in Metal Maniacs or maybe someone on another forum recommended them.

But it was about 9 months ago or so....I checked out Dismantling Devotion, downloaded that and No Reply. Loved Dismantling Devotion and bought it in Tennessee at FYE in February. Then I was gonna see em with Candlemass but they didn't come close enough. Bought Lost to the Living and it's growing on me a lot. I love it now.

Now they are one of my favorite bands of all time :)

think i typed in "bands similar to opeth" google, as i wanted more! and daylight dies and a few others popped up :) so i checked them out, and fell in love

When I saw Katatonia last year Mattias had a Daylight Dies shirt on. Ended up ordering Dismantling Devotion soon after.

Yeah, in the July music video Daniel's wearing one.

Last edited by a moderator:
it had to be fate when i discovered them :)
I had purchased Katatonia's Jhva Elohim Meth MCD on ebay around the same time No Reply was released and the seller included No Reply with the Katatonia MCD so i popped it in and as soon as I heard "Four Corners" I knew this was the band for me.

By searching for Melodic Death Metal bands, even though this is apparently a doom metal band..

I'm not too sure about this, but I think I found them on myspace through Katatonia and I'm glad I did. Listened to Dismantling Devotion (song), and was instantly hooked.

Way back in 98-99 I actually met one of the founding members - Guthrie Iddings, here in Bangalore, India. I was at a pub that dishes out classic rock, had my Iron Maiden 'live after death' tee on... Guthrie cornered me and demanded we drink. I obliged. Hung around with them, him and his brother Ben, for the next 3 days or so, getting wasted on hooch and weed.... great times! Any idea where he is? contact info? i have lost touch with him over the years...

India :)

Me in India in February:
l_a19b1199ec37db9240fc2c2878448c71.jpg

Sadly I didn't find out about them until the Moonspell tour with Katatonia. But better late than never right? I saw Katatonia was going on tour with Moonspell in...06 I think? I saw the Daylight Dies name on there so I checked em out. Then I went to the Houston show which was a very horrible turn out lol. Only like.....40 people showed up I think, hehe and a Dragonforce vocalist look-a-like :p I don't know if I was more excited for Katatonia or Daylight Dies :p Now I own all 3 albums. No demo's though :(