How Did you Descover Daylight Dies?

First I liked Killswitch Engage album called "As Daylight Dies". Then I came to UM to check Dark Tranquillity and Forest Stream (outstanding doom metal band aswell) forums and noticed that "name of the band named like Killswitch Engage album" (yeah, I thought so those days). Then I watched "Lies That Bind" video and fell in love with both music and video. And then I stuck on "Life Less Lived". Fantastic song :headbang:

About 5 years ago or so, I had a lot of time on my hands. What kid in high school didn't? I was freshly into doom/death metal (or whatever people call it), as I had been introduced to Opeth about a year before. After eating up pretty much every bit of Opeth I possibly could, I wanted to find more.

I'm the kind of person who can listen to music if it sounds good, but can't really enjoy or love music if it is lyrically retarded. I began spending chunks of free time just clicking through darklyrics.com to see if I could find a band on there with decent lyrics and then give them a listen. Lots of times I came across good lyrics, but shit music. When I got to Daylight Dies, I pretty much shit a brick. The lyrics I read were from No Reply and after giving it a listen, I was hooked big time. Very soon after (maybe even the same day, I don't remember), I found their Lies That Bind demo on the website. Lord knows how many times I would just put that song on repeat and listen for a period of time that was probably excessive.

I'll tell you what, that wait from when I found DD to when Dismantling Devotion came out was agonizing. Well worth it in the end, though. I own all the albums from No Reply and onwards, though my Lost to the Living disc was sadly destroyed about 3 days after I got it because it got too hot in my car and basically boiled. :erk:

I had planned on seeing Katatonia when they toured in the States a few years ago, and I saw that Daylight Dies was opening for them.

I listened to a bit to get a feel for the music before the show, and I've loved them ever since.

At the time I was starting to get into the Gothic Doom scene. I had already visited the Symphonic Gothic scene a few years back, but had never really taken the time to check out its muich old "cousin" genre, Gothic Doom and its parent Death/Doom. It was around the time I started getting into Anathema's Alternative 4 that I started getting into DayLight Dies.

I had heard via Pandora by setting the band to Opeth. Getting more into the Doom scene simply peaked more curiousity and I found I really enjoyed their complex yet simple sound. I can hear everything from Alice in Chains to Rush to Opeth in some of their melodies, and yet they really don't sound like any band out there. They have elements of melodic death and death doom, yet I find neither genre really fits their style. To list them simply as gothic doom is just too limiting, as the often "melacholy" mood of the music goes outside of that genre, sometimes ALMOST sounding upbeat but never quite actually becoming upbeat. The music is like gray skies that have clouds that sometimes get lighter and sometimes darker, but they never become sunny or form a tornado. Like Opeth, Daylight Dies though distinictly melodic "Doom" is in a category of its own.