How did you discover Nightwish?

A friend showed me some DVD footage many many years ago, maybe around 2001 or 2002.

To be honest, it didn't really click with me at first.

I was at a used CD store and saw ONCE for inexpensive, so I figured I would finally give them a fair shot and listen to a full album.

I love ONCE from start to finish. One of those albums I can easily listen to straight through.

I am probably the minority of people who like ONCE the best out of the whole discography.

I heard NW somwhere in 2000, when came to one of my friends in search for some new heavy music. He recommended me to check out a new band with a tempting name "NightWish" and turned his 500w stereo on, and then... The very first chords of "Se Is My Sin" really made me completely mad! The power of sound and high technique level seized me and Tarja's marvellous voice blew up my mind! The only thing I could say when the track was over was "Whoa! Man that sounds fucking cool! Rewind the tape - I want to hear it again! More of it!!!"

I know exactly what you mean; that wasn't the first song of theirs I heard, but I do remember the first time I heard it, that was the moment that I went from a casual listener to a lifelong Oceansoul. :D

Welcome to the board! :wave:

I can't remember exactly how I heard of Nightwish but the year was 2000 (maybe they were suggested to me by a website).

Radio sucked. Music sucked. I pined for the days when metal had melody, harmony, and was over the top; not the chugging, angry, "I was spanked and now I'm mad" lyrics that permeate much American metal. I had purchased Iron Maiden "Brave New World" but it was not the Maiden I remembered (real proggy music in 2000).

I do remember hearing what I felt had to be the most beautiful voice I had ever heard singing a metal tune (Tarja) and the music was huge. I was intrigued and went looking for this band, Nightwish"'s music. I lived in the Pacific Northwest at the time and literally no one knew who I was talking about and they could order a CD but it was an import and was $(some ungodly price!).
Yeah. I had to purchase songs from European websites but I got what I wanted.

What's funny to me is I come from what was once a town in Montana of 25,000 people. I moved back three years ago (it's now over 150,000 people) and every music store around carries Nightwish CD's, DVD's... The first month back I was walking downtown and some homeless guy was whistling "Nemo". Unreal. It's too bad Nightwish doesn't know the concentration of fans in this area.

I was on a forum, and there was a thread called "Rate the Now Playing of the Person above you". Someone had posted "End of All Hope" as theirs, and, not wanting to be the noob that had to admit to not having heard it, I went on youtube, and was instantly drawn in. Then I heard Amaranth and Bye Bye Beautiful and loved them as well. Dark Passion Play was my first purchase, and the rest quickly followed. Once is my favorite album to this day, even though it wasn't my first.

What's funny to me is I come from what was once a town in Montana of 25,000 people. I moved back three years ago (it's now over 150,000 people) and every music store around carries Nightwish CD's, DVD's... The first month back I was walking downtown and some homeless guy was whistling "Nemo". Unreal. It's too bad Nightwish doesn't know the concentration of fans in this area.

I know what you mean, I got into the band back in '01 and can still remember like it was yesterday how difficult it was to find their music here in the States, and how most people gave you a look of confusion whenever you said the band's name. It's still a trip to me to go to their shows when they come here, and see how many people actually attend. I guess it's become an underground thing over the last several years, because it's sort of been gradual for me, going from "who?" to, compliments about the band whenever I am seen in public wearing one of their shirts, etc.

Oh, and welcome to the board. :wave:

I got to know Nightwish back in 2004, when I saw the video from Nemo on tv. I desided to give it a listen eventually, but wasn't convined yet. Then in the beginning of 2009 I saw the Amaranth and Bye Bye Beautiful Video on tv, and it wasBye Bye Beautiful which drew my attention. I gave Dark Passion Play a listen, and liked it so much I ordered it already the next day.

I saw that cover of OTHAFA, but not the white one, the one where they gig in some rocky mountain background, and that cover made me want to listen to the CD in the discstore and then I was down... I raised my head... I noticed I was not the only one down.... I was the...

10th Man Down.

Lovely memories. It was around 2002 or 03.

A friend of mine on another forum recommended it to me :)
Being Finnish myself I thought Id get into some metal that come from Finland too.
Ive not looked back, love Nightwish, mainly Tarjas stuff before she left, Annette is decent but Ill always love Tarja.

Well, I just came home one night April in 2005 from a King Diamond show (KD, with Nile, Black Dahlia Murder and Behemoth), and being a bit buzzed, I fooled around on the BB Kings calendar site. Well, thumbing through September's page, a caught this: "Nightwish, Tour Canceled". Well, me being me, I wondered who the hell they were. Well, I saw their picture, and I thought the looked like an Evanescence-wannabe. Well, I clicked onto their website, fumbled through it, and found a link to "She is my Sin". Well, I clicked it. That Saturday, I bought Wishmaster and Century Child at Virgin Megastore, and the rest is history.

I saw that cover of OTHAFA, but not the white one, the one where they gig in some rocky mountain background

That cover shirt was the first Nightwish t-shirt I ever got. I must have worn that thing to death, it's faded as hell and has a small hole in it, but I'll never get rid of it. I think because it took me so long to find any of their shirts, I went a little crazy once I started finding them, and I must have about 20 Nightwish shirts now.

how i discovered NW... i was in the mood for something different to listen to and was just browsing around and stumbled across them.glad i did.one of my favorites to date.and they have a very unique sound that captures your attention. so they gained another fan :worship:

Planet Hell from the Durial321 Falador Massacre vid:

Most the bands I listen to I actually got into from Runescape (that and Yahoo! Internet Radio). :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora's Turisas station thing.

I liked the one song I heard, asked someone else if they were really any good or if it was just that one song. I got a yes and am now addicted to Nightwish. :'D

I first heard of them thanks to that magazine prank (was it Terrorizer?) that said Sarah Brightman had been announced as Tarja's replacement. I was all 'huh' and 'who' and 'what?' I knew who Brightman was but I had never heard of NW and wanted to know more about this band she was supposedly joining.

Went from there.