How did you find Dan?

mleijzer said:
Some years later I got my hands on Emotional Wasteland after reading an interview with Dan.
It had been some time since an album had blown me away but this was it. Pure emotion and great songs. It's still one of the best albums I have.
I like the Nightingale stff too but I think Unicorn is one of a kind.

That's true!
I started with "Unorthodox" which was a great record within Deathmetal, then I got "The Spectral Sorrows" which I liked more.
But then I got the first Nightingale which I liked even more.
The "genius" status Dan achieved for me when I ordered "Emotional Wasteland". It's exactly the music that I never knew I like the most. It's going straight into my DNA.
Then I bought pretty everything Dan made, and I was never dissapointed. Ok, Pan Thy Monium doesn't belong to my favs.
But atleast everything with clean vocals is very good.

For me it was through a visit to the local record store early in '94. I found a copy of The Spectral Sorrows, in the used bin I think, and picked it up because the cover sparked my interest and I liked some of the bands in the thank yous. I was hooked immediately and have been ever since. I went from there to the EoS back catalogue, stuff Dan produced, new EoS stuff as it came out, Nightingale, Bloodbath, Odyssey, etc....

I shopped at this little "underground" record shop in Dallas when I was in college. I also wrote for a little (now big) metalzine called HB and got to review lots of metal albums that I had never heard before. I was fortunate to review Brave Murder Day, whih Swano recorded/produced/whatever. The next time I went into "Bone Daddy's" the dude who worked there, Scott Sharp, insisted I listen to Edge of Sanity and Nightingale, since I was so into Katatonia. I then went on a Swano-spending-spree buying everything and anything he had to do with. This was in 96, so that wasn't a whole lot. Panthymonium, EoS, Ngale, Katatonia, Opeth, etc... I was more of a fan of his engineering thatn I was of the music until I heard the second Nightingale album, Closing Chronicles, which was when I became a big ol' Swano fan.

That's my story... :yuk: LOL

My first introduction to Dan came when I bought Purgatory Afterglow back in 1996, after reading a number of good reviews on the ablum. I was impressed with the guy's talent and songwriting skills, and over the next few years, I stocked up on EoS albums, being especially impressed by Crimson. I then picked up Moontower in February of 1999, which made me even more of a fanboy, but it wasn't until I heard NG's The Closing Chronicles during the summer of 2000 that I became a true Swano maniac. Once I heard that album, I felt the need to get my hands on every piece of music he ever recorded, so I stocked up on Nightingale, Unicorn, Pan Thy Monium, Infestdead, and even the Godsend albums all in a very short span of time. I am still a huge fan of his, but find myself a little more selective these days in regards to what bands/projects I listen to.

A few years ago I read on a forum (probably the official Opeth forum, don't know for sure) that Dan's Moontower would be a great album.

So when I did an order on Amazon I wanted to cross the "no-shipping-fee" mark and also ordered Moontower. Best blind purchase EVER! :D

btw, Paradoxile, I like this thread-title better than those unclear ones. I think a title should describe the discussion topic at_least_a_bit (or be truly fun) :D
But these with "Just wanted to know..", "Dan, is there any chance" and "So" (not by you, by another forumer), are saying nothing. Might be chosen in order to stir up interest, but I read most of the threads anyway, so there is no need for this marketing-"trick", or I get irritated because of all the fake-excitement-titles ;)

Also it is later harder if you search for some interesting discussion topic when the title doesn´t have a keyword.

EOS - Purgatory Afterglow back in mid 90's so-so then Crimson came..so f***in' good:)
My first time for Tom Nouga was when he played covers at Björnstugan during the local castle-festival at(96-97.. I think) Great beer drinkin' music indeed:)

fireangel said:
btw, Paradoxile, I like this thread-title better than those unclear ones. I think a title should describe the discussion topic at_least_a_bit (or be truly fun) :D
But these with "Just wanted to know..", "Dan, is there any chance" and "So" (not by you, by another forumer), are saying nothing. Might be chosen in order to stir up interest, but I read most of the threads anyway, so there is no need for this marketing-"trick", or I get irritated because of all the fake-excitement-titles ;)

Also it is later harder if you search for some interesting discussion topic when the title doesn´t have a keyword.

this is how we usually post in forums when the question is a little bit too long for the title, but hey, next time I'll just write Israel, it's sunny here all the time.

paradoxile said:
this is how we usually post in forums when the question is a little bit too long for the title, but hey, next time I'll just write Israel, it's sunny here all the time.

Most sentences can be formed in different ways, not just one. Like the thread title could be "Nightingale in Israel" and the whole question goes as first sentence of the first post. If you want it being a question in any case, you could make it "Nightingale in Israel?" ;)

Think of it like a song title, for example. The song title is in most cases not similar to the first line of the lyrics, rather it captures the general idea.
Titles can be very informative and tell possible readers of the content, be it a song, poem, book, newspaper article or thread on UM. Then in the lyrics, poetry, text, first post there is the room for the complete explanation.
:)

fireangel said:
Most sentences can be formed in different ways, not just one. Like the thread title could be "Nightingale in Israel" and the whole question goes as first sentence of the first post. If you want it being a question in any case, you could make it "Nightingale in Israel?" ;)

Think of it like a song title, for example. The song title is in most cases not similar to the first line of the lyrics, rather it captures the general idea.
Titles can be very informative and tell possible readers of the content, be it a song, poem, book, newspaper article or thread on UM. Then in the lyrics, poetry, text, first post there is the room for the complete explanation.
:)

It's a matter of style...and I sometimes don't like for the Title to be a dead giveaway,and sometimes I like to make suspence...if it irritates you, don't post in my thread. I sure as hell don't need to be lectured on how to write.

paradoxile said:
It's a matter of style...and I sometimes don't like for the Title to be a dead giveaway,and sometimes I like to make suspence...if it irritates you, don't post in my thread. I sure as hell don't need to be lectured on how to write.
i agree, doesn't necessarily have to be the whole question or point

paradoxile said:

I´m not lecturing you, I explained my reasons for remarking on the title-choice. And I also said that I read most threads anyway, so the surprise moment is extremely short to non-existant.
Anyway, we can disagree, no problem, but being mega-sarcastic and aggressive about a topic that isn´t even deciding about heaven and hell does not prove true your sentence about "us metalfans are probably the least aggressive and angry people" in the other thread.

fireangel said:
I´m not lecturing you, I explained my reasons for remarking on the title-choice. And I also said that I read most threads anyway, so the surprise moment is extremely short to non-existant.
Anyway, we can disagree, no problem, but being mega-sarcastic and aggressive about a topic that isn´t even deciding about heaven and hell does not prove true your sentence about "us metalfans are probably the least aggressive and angry people" in the other thread.

you're taking my sentence out of context.
I was talking about Israeli metal fans and not just metal fans in general and obviously there are exceptions within Israeli metal fans,I know these things because our metal community is really small (considering we' have a population of 7 million and 20% are arabs, so everyone pretty much knows everyone. but the fact is there has never been a suicide bombing in a metal concert in Israel or in any other concert for that matter.the hardest blow from palestinian terrorists was suicide bombing when the asshole shoved himself into a queue of kids waiting to get inside a kiddy disco club and exploded in 2001.

please don't turn this into Amba thread and stick to the original subject.
"Amba thread"(A thread where someone shifted the main issue to something written in another thread)
Amba by the way is a Spicey Iraqi dish...It's pretty good.

By accident. I actually wanted to buy some Night-In-Gales disk a friend recommended and left the store with Nightingale's Breathing Shadow.
Well, that was around 1999 or so, and until now it is the finest piece of music I got.

I was looking at my Breeding Death EP.

I knew Mikael kicked ass in Opeth, and Anders/Jonas kick ass in Katatonia, but who was this Dan Swano guy. I got ahold of Crimson II and it was instant love. The rest is history.

sometime in 1999, my friend in a chat room told me about this massive 40 minute song... I dled it and loved it.. ever since then, I've been a complete Swano nutcase...

Got more and more interested for every time I've discussed studio-recording and various shit with him at his work :)