How did you find Evergrey?

eyeofra

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2008
Hi, I'am new to this board, and new to Evergray, but not exactly new
to good music nor life (iam 40 years old) whatever the style...

I must first say I've had a blast the last weeks listening in to a bunch of albums from a band I never heard of before (and I'am from Sweden after all...), I find them truly amazing, beast stuff I heard in years, highly skilled musicians, great riffs, melodies that really hooks, still with twists and turns that keep you instrested time after time after time.

I found Evergrey thru the last Ayreon album, where
Tom S. was a guest singer.

I'am already a big fan of A.C.T (prog-metal-pop?)
they are also from Gothenburg, and I see many connection points between them must be something special with this town.

Can't understand how I have missed such a truly great band !
- I guess it's since I'am from the progressive side, and normally don't tune in to bands categorized in the metal genre, And mabye thats why I love the In Search of Truth album most (so far) - while most ppl seem to like the MMA Album witch for me is more mainstream and not as intresting, but the best mixed album for sure.

So my question to you all - If you love Evergrey (- what else do you listen to, obvisosly there is more here that I've missed?

I did a quick check on the bands list in the forum and the only ones I can tick off is; Enchant, Symphony X, Treshhold, Nightwish - I really like Enchant and some of Symhony X's stuff, Nightwish is Ok but often they fall in to the mainstream trap.

Well thats all for me
- I'am going to see them Live in Västerås i December for sure, see you then :headbang:

I found them when I was channel surfing one Saturday night in 2003. I came across MTV2's Headbanger's ball and Blinded was playing. I watched the video for a few seconds, then went on with the surfing. I thought to myself "I should go back and watch that video, the cinematography is pretty neat". As I watched, there was a solo. I was like "woah! a solo on MTV? I'm interested in this band, but if the singer starts screaming, I'm turing off the t.v.". Well, there wasn't screaming, but singing. So I finished watching the video to find out who it was. The next day, I went out and bought Recreation Day.

One more thing =) MMA is the album people on this forum (except for a couple of members) appreciate least compared to the other albums.

Thank god for that :), Im thinking of HIM (those finns) on first tracks there, but dont get me wrong its still a damned good album !

Well I can reveal I got my first listening google -> video on youtube -> thru a phat download on piratebay, but for me at least mp3 is to crappy to use anywhere else than in an Ipod so two days after first listening It was clear that these guys where worth an complete backlog catalog order from missingpiece.net

I DON'T AGREE, CERTAINLY!
Stop saying bullshit about MMA... I'm sick of that!

Someone said IGNORANCE?

rofl must be your post that i picked up as everyones opinion :)

well I've edited my post to clearify a bit, no hard feelings, it's just thought it was a bit to mainstream for my personal taste, again a great album ! :Smokedev:

I hoped to get hints of other Bands you listen into as Evergrey lovers, as I said this Metal-area is as i tried to explain quite new to me.

I found them when I was channel surfing one Saturday night in 2003. I came across MTV2's Headbanger's ball and Blinded was playing. I watched the video for a few seconds, then went on with the surfing. I thought to myself "I should go back and watch that video, the cinematography is pretty neat". As I watched, there was a solo. I was like "woah! a solo on MTV? I'm interested in this band, but if the singer starts screaming, I'm turing off the t.v.". Well, there wasn't screaming, but singing. So I finished watching the video to find out who it was. The next day, I went out and bought Recreation Day.

This is almost the EXACT same story I would have told... except that I did not take a break after the song started. I was doing the whole "if he starts screaming I'm fast forwarding my TiVo" thing too! HAHAHAHA

The only thing I wonder is if this was actually back in 2003... I know the album came out then, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see this on HBB until later as this video is what got me to see Evergrey at ProgPowerUSA in 2006. I'm thinking it was closer to 2005 as I don't think three years passed between me seeing the video and then seeing them in concert.

rofl must be your post that i picked up as everyones opinion :)

well I've edited my post to clearify a bit, no hard feelings, it's just thought it was a bit to mainstream for my personal taste, again a great album ! :Smokedev:

Ok, but I think is far too much ignorant and immature this old fashion attitude that if a band reachs a higher level of promotion (mainstream or not), they're now entitled as a poser, false or bad quality metal band...

That's so childish and de-volution thought...

I hoped to get hints of other Bands you listen into as Evergrey lovers, as I said this Metal-area is as i tried to explain quite new to me.

It would help me to know what you like about the music in order to properly recommend other bands to you. Is it the music? Is it Tom's voice? There are many reasons a person might connect with a band or a genre of music.

Some bands besides Evergrey that I enjoy that you haven't mentioned:

Kamelot, Mercenary, Sabaton, Within Temptation, Firewind, Tarot, Freak Kitchen, Mindflow, Brainstorm, Andromeda, Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Saint Deamon, and Primal Fear - to name a few. Of course, there are also stalwarts like Iron Maiden and Scorpions and many, many others.

Good luck in discovering some new music!

I DON'T AGREE, CERTAINLY!
Stop saying bullshit about MMA... I'm sick of that!

Someone said IGNORANCE?

It was actually you I was thinking about when I wrote a couple of members =) I don´t wrote any bad words about MMA. I love MMA, so I certenly not talking bullshit about it. So don´t take it so personal.

I was just try to correct eyeofra to that the general opinion from fans is that ISOT, RD, TIC and TORN (SDT, TDS ) is more "popular" compared to MMA =)

There can be no hard feelings about that, just info/fact to eyeofra.

How did you fin Evergrey?

Now it´s my turn to write my little story to OUR great Evergrey story =)

Everything started in late -99 when I was in the Swedish Army and a friend to me gave me a CD and said, you better listen to this, and i did. It was Solitude • Dominance • Tragedy. I recorded it to my MD (R.I.P :saint:) and start listening every spare time I had and it blown me away. But they where not my favourites, as many knows it takes a while to get in to Evergrey. But when ISOT where released and I bought they became "The rulers of my mind". That was in 2001 one and they are still my number one!

So my question to you all - If you love Evergrey (- what else do you listen to, obvisosly there is more here that I've missed?

I have very diversed taste in metal music but here are some band I recomend: Vanishing Point (Australia), Last Tribe (Sweden), listen to "The Uncrowned" CD, Rage (Germany), Dark Tranquillity (Sweden) and Magnitude 9 (US) to name a few =)

My good friend Tammy referred me to them. They came to West Michigan a couple months later and I was amazed. hmmm... Tom's voice is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aziza

A friend of mine told me they were coming to play in Israel (last December, I'm a newbie :)) and a few months before the show I started listening to them. I really liked them but didn't really get deep into their music, until the gig (which was the first gig I went to btw) where I saw them live and was just completely blown away. They've been my favorite band ever since.

Ok, but I think is far too much ignorant and immature this old fashion attitude that if a band reachs a higher level of promotion (mainstream or not), they're now entitled as a poser, false or bad quality metal band...

That's so childish and de-volution thought...

To get some points clear. First, the problem people have with MMA isn't the promotion, it's the fact that the songwriting is much much more mainstream and much more simplified than their earlier albums and also the almost lack of keyboards. These are facts and you can't argue with that. Second, no one here ever said that Evergrey were posers, false, or a bad quality band, and whoever thinks that would probably not be on this forum ;) Third, the only thing people said beyond the facts I stated on my first point, was that they personally do not like MMA or don't like it as much as other albums. That's a completely legitimate opinion and Evergrey discussion is what this forum is for. And Fourth, despite the facts I stated, I fucking love MMA, maybe even no less than any other Evergrey album.

someone here recommended Last Tribe. they don't exist anymore. but Magnus Karlsson continued in the same line with his other projects. i would recommend his Allen/Lande releases (he's the songwriter and amazing shredder). it's not dark, nor 'prog', but sheer quality of musicanship and fantastic vocal performances from both singers make both albums more than just worthwhile. if you like those, then you should go for Jorn (Lande's solo material) (great music, the best vocalist in the genre :worship: as you could have heard on that Ayreon album)and Pagan's Mind (much more prog)
well i like melodic material, and those are fulfilling my needs