How Did You Get Into Amon Amarth?

I found them through surfing on allmusic.com about a year, year and a half ago. Been a big fan ever since but after I saw them play live (on the 5th and 6th of this month) I completely fell for this band and now I'm a huuuge fan.

PS. Actually I had gotten to be a huge fan before the shows because I started listening to them even more once I found out they were coming to play. So I guess I've sorta been a really huge fan for about a month or two.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
People are going to diss me bout this, but I'm a relatively new fan. It was a couple of years ago when the Death in fire had just been released and I was watching VIVA2 and I just thought to myself: "Awesome... Fucking... Music... (drool)" Plus they looked and sounded swedish... and wasn't those Miollnirs on the t-shirts and around the necks etc. I was just blown away - I had found My Band! Not only great music but also interesting themery (the "Viking" one).

By the way, I.m curios, Draoijedi..., how did you come to host a radio show? Sure like to do that one day...
Here in Hell City, there is a University called Dalhousie. In 1970 or some shit, it started a Radio Club, that broadcast on campus only, and then over the years it later expanded to broadcast through all of Halifax, and beyond, as well as on the internet a couple years ago. It's hosts are all volunteers, like I was, and you don't even have to go to Dal to do a show. I listened to the station for many years before I went in, that's how I knew about them, and one day I went in and signed up, did the training, then started doing shows. I know in non-Canadian parts of the world, it's not so easy, so good luck!! And yeah, I stopped doing it after a few years, because I had no time, working this maniacly crazy shift schedule at work, and didnt have the time, and really, broke all the station records, did more radio than anyone ever, and imprinted FUCKING METAL on the minds of all listeners, did what I came to do. I did about 10 hours a week, at least, on average, and hold the record for station requests in a night at 247, but its technically 81, because its a rule of three maximum per person. Also broke the record for consecutive allnighters twice, first to six, then to ten. We average 45+ requests every show, had people listening to Extreme Metal Halifax all over the world, had regional band projects in like 8 countries, including Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Ireland, Canada, and tons of Maritimes Canadian, especially, our local area... Anyways, yeah we crushed the fuck out of the radio for years and directed everyone to online metal radio when we left..

I Still gotta pile of tapes of them shows, both Heavy Metal Halifax and Extreme Metal Halifax...

BTW, I dont think anyone cares how long you were a fan of Amon Amarth, it's fucking cool you are now & youre here!!
\m/

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Wow man I respect you. You really did your sjare for the metal community. (Bow down)
Well, thanks, but it was a blast, too, and really, I see it as it was a vent for the metal community to rage through and at the mainstream. It defeated the mainstream in breaking the records..
Thanks though. It was good to provide a lot of the dudes and chicks that didnt know much about metal, in the mainstream, though, and give them a place to start from... That was my only personal goal, to bring the real great music to those who missed out so far, who were unknowing of the power of the underground extreme metal. Like them, there was a time when I never even knew it existed. I gave what was given to me...And expanded my own "metal horizons" to the max!
\m/

Before a few weeks ago, i had never listened to Amon amart. I heard that they growled and was turned off by that. Then one day i was at my friend Erics house, and he put on a song and I was like "who is this" and he was like "amon amarth" and then i borrowed the cd, "fate of the norns" Now i am obsessed with them, i listen to it everyday. They are actually really hypnotizing, I really love the song "the fate of norns"

DraoiJedi Sarmhiotail: Yeah, great job man. Wish I was able to do something like that here. And also:

DraoiJedi Sarmhiotail said:
had regional band projects in like 8 countries, including Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Ireland, Canada, and tons of Maritimes Canadian, especially, our local area...

Do you have any info on the Icelandic thing? I don't know anything about this and I'm curious.

Well, i was on a metal site and i was browsing through different genres and saw viking metal. I saw Amon Amarth listed and i listened to Bleed for Ancient Gods. That was 2 years ago the rest is history

Probably around 3 or 4 years ago when filesharing was just starting to get out of control, I was browsing through a list of metal bands that I hadn't heard before so I could sample what little I found from other people. being an avid Tolkien fan, I was attracted to their name. The only mp3s I could find were "Victorious March" and "Without Fear" but that's definately enough to get anyone hooked. Headed down to my local underground record store and picked up all the AA I could.

My recent ex got me hooked. He let me hear a couple of his AA albums. He's actually the one that informed me of their US tour and my chance to see them live.

Now, I am not new to metal as a genre, I've been listening since I was 7 years old, but the more viking/pagan/black metal has only been in the last couple of years.

I saw the music video for Death in Fire and went fucking nuts. I've always been into Norse mythology and when I found out there was a band that sang about it I jizzed my pants:headbang:

Right when Johan screams "ODEN!!!" for the latter.... and maybe the more high pitched vocals and bad quality from the early stuff for Black metal.
But yeah this post is in some way meant to be ironic and ofcourse they sound absolutely nothing like a black metal band in general, and as far as Viking goes, well the guitar melodies can maybe possibly be traced to have some folk music inspiration don't know, they're very nice though.

PaganBlood said:
of course amon amarth are black metal. and viking metal. Come on where in ANY of there songs do they sound these genre's?

I would never class them as black metal, but their lyrical content is what leads to the viking metal label from many.

most of the vikingmetal-bands have great black metal influences. Therefore is vikingmetal usually classified as black metal. Same as Battle metal and Pagan metal

Black Metal is so shitty with all those stupid organs and shit. Immortal is probably one of the few Black metal bands that used them in moderation. I touch myself just thinking of Immortals awesomeness.

The relevance of all this pertaining to this thread: Got into AA after seeing them on their US tour when they toured along with Immortal on the Metal Gods Tour.