How do I fix gargling sound in dirty vocals?

FulmBoy

New Metal Member
Jun 13, 2022
I have this phenomenon where my voice will sound gargly on the track but not irl or on a performance mic. I hypothesize that it's a sensitivity that's similar to that where mic's pick up the letter "s" in exaggeration. What can I do to correct this sound?

Rasp > Gargle

If this is in reference to growling, I have had decent results placing 2-3 fists back off the mic. My own voice sounds better when Im further from the mic. The closer a growler/screamer is to the mic, it starts picking up some stuff which I find unappealing.

Start by backing off the mic and see if that helps.

I would dry using a dynamic EQ to try and find the frequencies you don't like and then notch them out. You could also try something like Soothe2 or Smooth Operator, which can do the same thing, but more automatically.

I am by no means an expert, I just make music as a hobby in my basement. I find that cutting some mids from the vocals not only removes some harshness but also helps them to sit in a mix. Worth I shot.

I have this phenomenon where my voice will sound gargly on the track but not irl or on a performance mic. I hypothesize that it's a sensitivity that's similar to that where mic's pick up the letter "s" in exaggeration. What can I do to correct this sound?

Rasp > Gargle
You could also try something like Soothe2 or Smooth Operator, which can do the same thing, but more automatically.

Last edited:

Rasp > Gargle
Try a cheap mic, I had better results at one time with an operatic female singer using a SM57 with windscreen than her expensive tube condenser. The condenser was picking some kind of teeth sound that was not good. The SM57 smoothed it over and didn't even notice that. Used opto comp and tube eq in the front as well to focus the vocals a bit better and provide a touch of grit. If you don't have tube things to try - emulation works well too. I like the Nomad SC-226 plugin for that, or T-Racks have some great vintage compressor plugins and I couple those with tape emulation at the end to fully glue things together.