how do keep track of dongles?

SethTheGreat

Feb 22, 2010
Gainesville, TX
I guess this post is aimed at those who do their work on a laptop..

I've lost my iLok/steinberg eLicenser for the last time. I HAVE to do something about it (when I find them...)

My wife really likes going places, visiting friends/family, etc... So I get the most work done (and keep a happy/balanced family life) if I can do my "hobby" on-the-go. I bought myself a fancy new 2015 MBP which has been AMAZING.

...But I face two major problems:

1. My eLicenser is all busted up because it's not built as well as the ilok, and it hangs off the side of my laptop so it frequently gets bashed against things (my hands, arms of chairs, etc..) I semi-solved this problem by using a USB hub, but that kind of sucks bc then I have this crap hanging off the side of my laptop, and the dongles still end up bashed around (instead of arms of chairs, it's legs of chairs), just not as often.
  2. I can't stop losing them. I swear I put them in my backpack... but then they're not there (and etc..) I guess I'm probably going to buy a couple "Tile"s to solve this problem.. that way I can make them "beep" if I can't find them, as well as gps-track them (in case I leave them at somebody's house)

But I'm curious: Does anyone else have these problems? If so, are there any other solutions?

I have thought about installing openWRT or something on my home router and using a "USB over IP" solution, as this would solve both problems (NO. NOT TO VIOLATE A EULA. STOP.) But they look like they're pretty complicated to implement, and I have a feeling stability-wise I'd probably be screwing myself.

Put a 20lb neon green chain on them. No one can lose a 20lb neon green chain.
I live in Oregon and we're not allowed to pump our own gas so the gas pumper people carry wallets with huge yellow chains on them.

You can always switch to different DAW and plugs if the dongles are causing issues. There are plenty of good options out that don't require them.

Get a small a box or flight case (Pelican) for them, leave them in there w/a USB splitter and plug into the pc with a USB extender.

I really like this one.. Yep... I'm going with this one! Thank you!

You can always switch to different DAW and plugs if the dongles are causing issues. There are plenty of good options out that don't require them.

I'm at that point... I've been thinking of switching to logic so I don't have to deal with it at all anymore, but I reallllly like Slate plugs so.. Doesn't really solve the problem unless I am ok with giving up Slate too :/