how do make bands sign contract before entering studio?

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
hey there guys, I was just wondering how many of you have contracts for bands to sign before they record in your studio.

I`m having trouble with a band that is frequently truant from scheduled recording sessions. Its holding me back because I have other deadlines to meet.
I did get half of the payment upfront. but now I have done more work than they have paid me for and their truancy has pushed the project back so far that I wont have time to complete it (which means they dont pay me for the second half)

So I`m telling them I am not continuing the project, nor am I booking anymore days for them in my studio. I have other bands coming in.

So I will probably have to deal with them talking shit about my studio.

In the future I am going to get bands to sign an agreement that they will attend all booked recording dates. failure to attend, without contacting me in advance to cancel, will result in me having the choice of not continue the recording session, and keeping a deposit that they will make prior to signing the agreement.

does this sound fair to you guys? Anyone have experience with a similar situation? Does anyone else have bands sign a similar contract?

thanks guys!

edit: also, what would you think is fair? Should I give them all the raw tracks they recorded, minus my editing and reamping? or should I give them nothing?

yeah, thats what im thinking too.

Im starting to accept im probably gonna lose out this time. oh well... its a lesson learned! I just need to make sure this doesnt happen again in the future.

Working with this band made me realize a few things. another being that I need to charge more. Unless its a live off the floor type recording, Its gonna cost the band about 100 bucks a song after all the editing and stuff. I was only charging them 200 bucks for 4 songs, and they have already taken like 3 or 4 days of my time and havent even done vocals. I think im worth 100 bucks a day hahaha

if you are not going to finish the project then definitely give them the raw files. i always take a deposit and tell bands that they must cancel no fewer than seven days in advance if they want their deposit back. i have never done contracts but i make sure they verbally agree to my rules/terms before i take their deposit.

also if you charge by the song you should limit how many hours they get for recording in the studio for each song so they don't take advantage of you.

yeah, thats what im thinking too.

Im starting to accept im probably gonna lose out this time. oh well... its a lesson learned! I just need to make sure this doesnt happen again in the future.

Working with this band made me realize a few things. another being that I need to charge more. Unless its a live off the floor type recording, Its gonna cost the band about 100 bucks a song after all the editing and stuff. I was only charging them 200 bucks for 4 songs, and they have already taken like 3 or 4 days of my time and havent even done vocals. I think im worth 100 bucks a day hahaha

ugh...i hear you there

i just recorded the 1st band i've worked with since moving from CA to IN, and charged them $150 for 4 songs because it's all the cash they could muster

i ended up spending about 50 hours - 8 to track drums, 12 for guitars/bass, 4 for vocals, plus editing/mixing/mastering - so that they could turn around and whine about the fucked-up sounding solo and off-time snare hits.

now i'm asking $10/hr. for tracking, and $50/song to mix...we'll see how many people around here are willing to pay that to a small studio with little local rep, but i'd rather have no clients than broke ass whiny ones who won't listen to what i tell them!!

BTW make sure that you don't try to enter into contracts with any minors if they come around, cause that shit won't be legally binding!

BTW make sure that you don't try to enter into contracts with any minors if they come around, cause that shit won't be legally binding!

good point!

we did have a verbal agreement beforehand that the project would have to be fully tracked by today, or else I wouldnt have been able to fit them in. I dont even mind if a musician cancels the day before, as long as they make a reasonable effort.

but I had the guitarist / back up vocalist / person in the band that pays for everything track all the vocals. everything will go as planned. he has common sense, and was able to see my point of view on everything. we agreed that if the singer has a problem (with the guitarist doing the vocals), he can pay me 50 bucks to come in later to do his vocals. The guitarist is also heavily considering finding another singer...

up till now, bands have been good with attendance. I definitely think there is something to be learned from this!

i normally charge bands $10/hr for recording + $20 for mastering each song. Its up to them how much time they wanna spend recording... more time more money! I would normally remind them tht they need to do it seriously if for a good quality outcome.