How do you guys slip edit fast double kick passages?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I'm having a hell of a time with this. In Reaper, it helps a little to change the view/size of the waveforms, but it still really screws me up. It's just a raw kick, no trigger....

Fast%20Kick.jpg

Clearly it needs editing and fuuuuu he gets so quiet on fast double kick passages.

anyone?

lots of lube...

But no, especially when it comes to metal I always like to do replacement first and (in reaper) apply FX to new take. I copy and paste those takes to a new tracks. Since you cant slip both lanes i have to delete the render on the original track and then delete the original take on the rendered track. Know what I mean?

I then group everything together and commence with the slipping using the replacement track as a guide since it's much cleaner.

You could also use ReaGate and adjust the filter so that it only picks up the range of the kick. set the release real low so you just get short blips. Copy, paste and delete like I said above and just use that as a guide.

Ok, well I'm no good with programming .midi really....

so, I could apply FX to the track, then render it, and the hits would be easier to decipher? I'm going to try to use drumtrigger and render that, compare with raw track, edit, and blend.

Right, but like I said ,I don't think you can slip both lanes at once even when theyre grouped so you have to do the copy and paste thing.

convert to MIDI and program the fast parts, if there's not enough transient to visually edit than it's unlikely a sampling plug will be very accurate anyway. programming a kick in reaper is babytown easy, use drumtracker and the diamonds view in the piano roll.

This is not the best way to do it- but I have tried it with decent results

What I've done in Cubase is slip parts as good as they are going to get and when I reach a spot that the drummer is trying to play a part on either kick and toms (that he obviously can't) that can't really be slipped any more as a whole group- I just cut before and after "transients" and slip and manually fade out so that drumagog has an easier time. Finding the strongest hit in the group and slipping that. Hella meticulous or what have you but it may work. I just fully replace the signal just high pass the OHs a little more and listen to make sure everything sounds alright. Usually when the song is pretty busy you don't notice anything weird sounding. Spot micing has helped too.

Probably the WORST way to go about it, but that is what I did when my pc couldn't handle basic processing for other suggestions and after I had kind of fucked myself and not thought things ahead.

Try everything else first if you can. Hope that helped man.

I would slip-edit everything but the kick in that part.
Then take a kicksample, cut it to 16th notes. Copy + Paste, move forward, paste... and so on. Done. This only works if you trigger your kickdrum 100% or it will sound like shit. This usually doesn't screw too much with the overheads + rooms, at least for me.

Just edit the hands on those parts and program the kick in after that, really easy, do it all the time.

Wow... guess I really am a giant DICK, because if it was me, I would make the little pussy-foot re-track it and I'd probably have to use 2 triggers per kick drum.