How do you like your coffee? "Blacker than the Blackest black!"

Heliotropic_Rose

in the soil beneath
Nov 17, 2004
Austin, Texas
So what are some good black metal bands? What are you guys and gals favs? I've been listening to Vesania quite a bit, real evil sounding, good keys. Emperor of course is good, diabolical masquerade (AnderZ!!!) anyone else have some good recomendations?

My favorites include:

Blasphemy, Black Witchery, Revenge, Blasphemophagher, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Zemial, Agatus, Darkthrone, Immortal(First two), Arckanum, Satanic Warmaster, Morbosidad, Beherit, Cradle Of Filth(Some of it can be considered this), Proclamation, Bathory, Naked Whipper, Inquisition, Profanatica, Burzum, VON, Impaled Nazarene, Nifelheim, Nokturnal Mortum, Behemoth(Grom and Sventevith), Rytes Of Degringolade, Grand Belial's Key, Taake, Absu, Averse Sefira, Goatpenis...and some more here and there.

I would recommend Blut Aus Nord, Mirrorthrone, Drudkh, Hate Forest, Nokturnal Mortum, Deathspell Omega, Absu, and Shining to name a few.

Nazxul, Astriaal, Spire, Bleakwood, Greed & Rapacity, Xasthur, In Lingua Mortua (amazing stuff), Hades (Hades Almighty), Dawn of Azazel, Anarazel, Urgrund, Svartsyn, Naglfar. To name a few.

Also, Cobalt are freaking awesome. Kinda a different take on black metal. Their album Gin is a good start.

I agree with Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord and pretty much every other recommendation.

Some of these are black metal crossover bands. My favorites:

Emperor, The Ruins of Beverast, Bethlehem, Leviathan, Akercocke, Shining, Enslaved, Cobalt, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Immortal, Drudkh, Impaled Nazarene.

I really dig Swedish black metal. It's way more evil than Norwegian black.
Check Ondskapt (Dodens Evangelium), Armagedda (Ond Spiritism), Shining (III, IV),...

Here's one of my favourite tracks, Djävulens Ande by Ondskapt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abigor, Bethlehem, Blut aus Nord, Drudkh, Hate Forest, Xasthur, Leviathan, Judas Iscariot, Burzum, Summoning, Deinonychus, Striborg....can't really think of any others right now.

Drink black filter coffee (1 sugar) or die. ONLY BLACK IS REAL.

i would reccomend Tsjuder, not well known, but thier album "desert northern hell" is a masterpiece

bathory - blood fire death
emperor - in the nightside eclipse
leviathan
forgotten woods - curse of mankind
id also say try anaal nathrakh, deathspell omega, and maybe look through the fernch BM scene

Code, Enslaved, For Ruin, Illnath, Melechesh, Nachtmystium, Negură Bunget and Sworn.

I would recommend Blut Aus Nord, Mirrorthrone, Drudkh, Hate Forest, Nokturnal Mortum, Deathspell Omega, Absu, and Shining to name a few.

I'm happy to see a fan of Vlad here :)

A lot of good bands have been mentionned so... I would just recommend Ophthalamia, of course :)

in the woods... - heart of the ages has to be my fav black metal record of all times.

ulver - bergtatt is great
emperor (anthems)
burzum (hvis lyset tar oss & filosofem)

of newer stuff i liked deathspell omega
mayhem - ordo ad chao too.

Just picked this up. Their 1999 demo on vinyl. The band is Daudur, from Norway. Great stuff.

Also, I drink milk with coffee.

I mostly do with mine too...I drink black with a few tablespoons of sugar every now and then...goes great with a cigarette in the morning...but sometimes gives me bad acid reflux...sooooo a little cream it is :)

First three Satyricon albums, First Arcturus album, old Burzum, Darkthrone - transylvanian Hunger or Panzerfaust, Arckanum, mayhem - de mysterious, Ulver - bergtatt, first three Taake albums, dimmu-stormblast - for newer black metal with atmosphere seek out Wolves in the Throne Room or Drudkh, both are writing great music although the last drudkh album disappoints

Nowadays There's about a zillion and one Black Metal bands that are shit, although every once in a while I'll hear a good one