How do you like your covers?

Weapon X

Raised to be Lowered
Jul 25, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Most bands do at least one cover in their careers. Now do you like when a bands takes a famous song and make a tribute? What I mean is that they don't really change the sound in any great degree.

or

Do you like when a band takes a famous song and completely change it around?

I like when a band completely changes things around. For example, the Black Sabbath Tribute - Nativity In Black - The songs done by Static X, Machine Head and Soulfly I enjoyed so much more than those done by Megadeth and Pantera. I found when they made the song into what they would of made it, it makes that song so much interesting.

Name a few good covers. Mine Metallica - So What?

Type O Negative's version of Seals and Croft's Summer Breeze is by far my favorite cover tune. Took a lousy song and made it great, even while making fun of it.

I prefer when a band can pay respect to who they are covering while making it their own sound at the same time.

A bad example is on the NIB II tribute you spoke of, Godsmack's version of Sweet Leaf sucks ass because it sounds the same as the original, but not nearly as good.

NAD said:
I prefer when a band can pay respect to who they are covering while making it their own sound at the same time.

Agreed. I don't want it to sound exactly the same, but I don't want them to butcher it either.

Some covers just kill me in the pointlessness. Perfect example: I love Fleshcrawl, but the fact that they cover a Carnage song on one of their records is just funny.

Anyone ever hear Evan Dando's version of Fade to Black? I really like it alot.

I think basically it can be kind of cool to hear old underproduced songs with new tight production and all that shit. Only for novelty purposes though as originals nearly always slay covers. Examples: Behemoth "Carnage" (originally by Mayhem) or Emperor "A Fine Day To Die" (Bathory)

I don't like when bands try to imitate the originals down to vocal style and production job even because it is a recipe for certain failure. Case in point, Dark Funeral "Pagan Fears". They have tried to imitate the DMDS production, Attila's vocals and pretty much everything else; predictably it ain't 1/20 as good as the original. They even play one of the riffs all wrong.

I don't particularly like covers. But when done well, they are fun.

Coalesce's 'There is Nothing New Under the Sun' is a fun album of seven Led Zeppelin tunes. Imagine Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love gone hardcore/noisecore. Great fun.

I agree with NAD on Type O's Summer Breeze cover. Brilliant. Type O's cover of Black Sabbath (the song) is also well executed. But my fave Type O cover has got to be Paranoid (on Origin of the Feces). THey slowed that thing down to a snail's pace, and it sounds great.

Biohazard's cover of After Forever on the Nativity in Black comp is better than the original IMO.

Honestly that whole NiB tribute kicks ass, I'm not ashamed to admit that it was my first introduction to Black Sabbath. COC's version of Lord of This World is probably my favorite, I love how Pepper slightly imitates Ozzy's voice in that one.

Yeah, Type O's version of Paranoid is just great, I love how they even throw in the Iron Man riff for a moment. I love all of there covers, they always do such a great job.

phyre said:
"Symptom Of The Universe" by Sepultura on NiB fucking slays.

Yes indeed. And I quite liked Megadeth's cover of "Never Say Die" on NiBII, although it is pretty same same to the original.

I think I'm indifferent on how the cover tune goes - example: Les Claypool doing The Thing That Should Not Be was good and it wasn;'t really that different, and Arch Enemy's cover of Aces High was in their own style, and very very baaaad.

I like Anthrax doing Got The Time. When you hear the original, you'll figure out how cool they made their version.