How do you store your CDs?

How about you just fuck off and die you faggot!?!? GTFOoRC and go watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you lilly livered piss drop.

Those booklets scratch your cd's worse than a cat caught in a blouse. This is what I used to do way back when, but after experiencing several albums skipping, I said uh-uh, and went the route of the collector.

:lol:

medtees-ocd.jpg

:loco:

i hate messy. it's too messy. my house is a wreck. at least my cds need to be straightened up

Mine are organized alphabetically. I keep the liner notes and CDs themselves in a few CD binders. Using the inlay reduces scratching significantly, but the booklet gets the CD imprint after only a little while. Still, I'm not a big collector by any means, so I prefer to use the actual items when I peruse/listen/read lyrics.

I don't see the point of rigging my PC to a hi-fi stereo

Obviously not, otherwise your music-listening life would be perfect and you wouldn't be faced with this withering conundrum! :D

I keep all of my albums on an Excel sheet for quick browsing.

Yeah, you gotta do at least that. Nowadays I just use the iTunes Library instead, as everything is automatically entered, and the sorting functionality is pretty powerful. Unlike a CD rack, you can instantly switch between different sorting methodologies to get a different view of things: Alphabetical, chronological, genre, song-running-time, BPM, or any self-defined grouping.

I tend to use "shuffle by album" a lot so that it will automatically select the next album for me to listen to. That's a way to ensure that things don't get lost in my collection, because it will often pick something good that I wouldn't have thought of myself.

Sorting by genre is insanity, because way too much stuff crosses genres. Even worse, attaching a genre to something tends to pigeon-hole it, so it could actually make you gloss over albums even more (maybe there's a black-metal-ish album you really like, but you rarely find yourself thinking "I want to listen to some black metal now!", so you always forget about that album) Stripping out the genre tags is the first thing I do when I get new music.

Oh, and for the record, my CD rack is alphabetical-by-artist, then chronological-within-artist.

Neil

By the way, my iPOD selections are all done by genre. If I went alphabetical by band, I'd be scrolling through a list of 500 artists each time.

I've even set up a genre called "new" which is basically all the new stuff I've got in and haven't given enough time yet. I keep it all separate to the other real genres.

It's really not too difficult to sort by genre. Regardless of it's accuracy, and genre definition is all subjective anyway, it's a nice way to categorize your searches.

By the way, my iPOD selections are all done by genre. If I went alphabetical by band, I'd be scrolling through a list of 500 artists each time.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I only have an 1GB Nano, so it's not really an issue there, and then on a computer, it's no problem scrolling through 500 artists.

I've even set up a genre called "new" which is basically all the new stuff I've got in and haven't given enough time yet. I keep it all separate to the other real genres.

Yeah, I have a "New Crap" smart playlist that basically accomplishes the same thing.

It's really not too difficult to sort by genre. Regardless of it's accuracy, and genre definition is all subjective anyway, it's a nice way to categorize your searches.

Yeah, I guess as long as *you* know what genre you stuck everything in, it's probably not too bad, since your breakdown doesn't have to match anyone else's. I think I'd still drive myself crazy if I tried it though.

Neil

I don't understand the reasoning for an Excel spreadsheet :erk:

There's a ton of albums that I'm not sure I have. Say we were to discuss Vantarten Von Schnotznits Symphony No. 4, for example. Instead of getting off my arse and rummaging through all the V's in my collection, all I have to do is click the sheet, scroll down, and voila. Rudimentary, my dear Watson.

If I'm going to be arsed to do everything alphabetically, might as well do it right.

There's a ton of albums that I'm not sure I have. Say we were to discuss Vantarten Von Schnotznits Symphony No. 4, for example. Instead of getting off my arse and rummaging through all the V's in my collection, all I have to do is click the sheet, scroll down, and voila. Rudimentary, my dear Watson.

If I'm going to be arsed to do everything alphabetically, might as well do it right.

I see. I guess that could work for some people, but if that occurred I'd just get up and rummage through my V's for said album. Whatever works for you, matey.

Personally, I don't agree with it, and I HAVE A REAL FUCKEN PROBLEM WITH WHAT YOUR'RE DOING

I just try to remember what I have and don't have, with my really messy CD storage system... Though sometimes I fail at that and end up discovering I have 2 copies of 1 album at some point.

I just try to remember what I have and don't have, with my really messy CD storage system... Though sometimes I fail at that and end up discovering I have 2 copies of 1 album at some point.

I don't even bother trying to remember what I have. There's a certain point where remembering 100, 200, 300, 400+ cds doesnt matter.

It got much harder after 100, 200, 300... etc. I haven't counted in a long time, I should do that.

Should sort them too. Alas, I'm too busy sitting on my ass and eating popcorn.

CDcol1.jpg
CDcol2.jpg
CDcol3.jpg

Not quite up-to-date though... the last two racks are completely full now, along with one other one, and then another half a rack full.

The CDs and cassettes are arranged; they're alphabetical order by artist, then alphabetical order by album. Should two bands share the same name, they go in order of their country names' ISO codes. About 1100 CDs, and maybe 25 cassettes. The vinyl I avoid like the plague, so what few I have isn't ordered so much as just strewn about for eye-candy purposes.

The reason there's a flyer in the middle of one of my racks is because any flyer I get in the mail I put up somewhere. Needless to say my entire room is completely covered, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling, and even some on the ceiling.