How do you tame GAS/Gear Lust?

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Almost everyday, while browsing audio forums, I find a new thing to GAS over. It's sort of putting a damper on my spirits because I can't afford to buy 90% of this stuff. How do you quench your GAS?

Furthermore, how do you find balance among what you buy? Most of us here are not just audio engineers, but musicians as well. How do you find balance between buying audio gear/toys and buying things for your instrument (like amps, new guitars), etc? I spend hours researching audio gear like preamps and hardware compressors, and then at the end of the day, realize I still haven't retubed my 5150, or bought a non-shitty double bass pedal for my drumset, etc.
How do you find balance between audio gear, and music gear? How do you normally set your priorities? (of course, this even ignores all other hobbies lots of us have, like buying computer parts, video games, etc. :lol:)

Maybe I just need to wait until I get a career, and then I can afford more. On the other hand, I'll have to pay a mortgage, and car insurance, etc. When does it end? I feel like I have less gear here than most, even though I have a steady job over the summers. :erk:

Trying to get some discussion going here...
Maybe it can relieve some GAS :cry:

I just work my ass off, buy the gear and then stop wanting it!

It's all about prioritizing what you need. I basically only work and sink that money back into upgrading the home studio in some form. Most people here invest in amps, guitars etc. but that stuff is a secondary priority compared to monitoring, acoustic treatment, preamps, converters, plug-ins etc. to me.

Work your ass off, record for money and buy shit. I've spent all the money I've made on this stuff and I buy both guitar/bass/drum gear and recording gear. The only thing I need for recording is a good pair of monitors, but I haven't bothered because it's impossible to treat the room I'm in. I'm very used to the headphones I work on/mix back and forth from my car, so I don't have much of an issue.

"record for money"..."sink that money back into upgrading the home studio"

How do you guys get clients? I would love to record for money, but I'm lucky if I even get 1 client between May and September...and the rest of the year I'm in school

How do you guys get clients? I would love to record for money, but I'm lucky if I even get 1 client between May and September...and the rest of the year I'm in school

try harder... have better mixes to show prospective clients... if thats not possible, then you're recording for free... get some decent bands in there and make them sound godly... its the only way to do it... and don't only mix metal...

3... 2... 1... GO!

After we put our company together, it's gotten easy. All the audio gear gets bought through it and instruments that are not directly related to the studio I buy myself for myself. (Hmm.. for tax reasons that doesn't make sense, but for the purpose of ownership..)

The thing is... once you get a business going, there's all these little things like taxes and bills that start piling up and suddenly you find yourself getting work just to break even. :erk: AAAAaand that means no new gear for a while.

Bugger.

'Cause I have major GAS for some stuff.

I remind myself that I only earn 122 euros (171 USD) per month :lol: Being a student sucks for GAS :erk: Once I graduate and get a job, then I'll quench it by buying all the gear I've wanted :lol: Luckily there's not too much stuff. Just about 15k EUR worth of gear that I need :lol: Saving 500 EUR from the salary each month, that would only take about 2,5 years to fund fully, and then I'm set for life.

ask yourself:
Do you really need it, or is it only "nice to have"

i obviously like to buy equpipment, and especially guitars, but if i wouldnt take care, i probably would have now 30 guitars and tons of other equpiment, and no money saved on the bank.

so, what i do is, i have an account for music eqipment only , where i put like 300 Euro each month on it.

i have this account now like 7 years, and everytime when i really want something, i check
1) do i need it
2) is there money avaliable on the account
3) do i really really need it
4) think about it over and over again
5) if all the 4 has been answered with yes then i buy it.

when we got bonus payments etc, i often divide them 50/50 for regular savings and music saving account, that helps too

and in the last 2 years, i also really minimised my consum in alcohol, dvds and cds, that also brought a huge + in funds that can be invested in musical equpiment

about your other question, balance between music gear and guitar gear:
till 2 years ago, i was an guiarist only, so all money basically went into guitar stuff, and that was good, i just bought a few guitars but didnt touch alot of money from the account :)

but now, my responsibilty has changed a bit
on first position, i´m now a songrwriter
second: responsible for recording and soundquality
third: guitarist

so basically most of my saving go now into audio / recording equipment,
my rig is very pro now, and i have many great guitars,
still i want more guitars, haha, but do i really need them,
clearly answered: NO
sometimes that breaks my heard, especially like when i see the guitars that will stinnett builts, i just want to order one, but then, my logic brain says: NO
i´m really sorry will.

You know, maybe it's because I rarely have a steady source of any substantial income (though hopefully that will change soon :loco: ), but I really don't get GAS very often - I have one guitar that I'm happy with (my Ibanez), one bass, one recording interface, one amp (well, I will soon again, when I get a Roadster :headbang: ), one cab, and all serve me very well. And for awhile I had to fight mic GAS, but I'm honestly, I'm really happy with one 57!

And as for studio hardware, I've improved my tone so much by messing with amp settings and mic position, so I feel my Onyx preamps are adequate until I can afford like an A2D (FAAAAAAAAR away), and outboard comps/eq's really don't appeal to me at all; I've heard so many amazing ITB mixes that I know I've nowhere reached the limits of that methodology!

Like I posted in another thread, I'm a realist and a minimalist when it comes to gear. I look closely at where I am as a musician and as a "hobbyist" recording engineer (I have a good paying job with a great company so I'm not looking to do something else) - I don't see myself ever going pro at it so I "am what I am" as a famous sailor once said. That said I have had to deal with GAS urges over the years that I need to do the "want or need" conversation with myself. I have to ask myself if I think it will really be the difference maker or do I just have a case of the "oh.... look at the pretty..."

Like Metaltastic I tend to have one of each of the items I need at one time - except guitars which I recently pruned down to just three - one Ibanez with a floating trem, one Ibanez with a fixed bridge, and one acoustic (I sold off three others). Having sold those, I now have my next GAS purchase fund in hand but have not figured out which one piece of gear would be the best bang for my buck, what piece of gear will be an honest improvement over what I have. I'm leaning towards monitors since I will soon have my room/studio space back - long story but my wife is sharing my man cave with me at this time and I really want to treat the room once I get it back so I think monitors would be a wise investment/upgrade path (I'd be replacing my, quite old now, M-Audio Studiophile BX5a monitors).

Long story short - I get rid of something before getting something new and the new item has to be an improvement over what I already have or what I have the skills to utilize. I tend to think that I can always get better at what I have if I work at it - my skills need a lot more work than my gear - trust me.

Yeah, I see we're of a similar mindset Jind, though you do remind me that I miss having a guitar with a Floyd SO much, you have no idea - unfortunately, though, I gotta get a Roadster first! :(

i do alot of what exoslime and jind said, plus one extra thing. so my recomendation is:

1. research it thoroughly, realize that very few pieces of gear will truly change the game for you
2. justify it, make sure its something you need vs want, and that it will be a breakthrough buy
3. trade up to fund it, sell whatever it is it will replace (if appropriate)
4. consider buying used/b-stock

#1 and #2 have greatly helped relieve my G.A.S. symptoms. thinking if i just had this, i could be more creative or get that sound, or blah blah blah. 9x outta 10, its not true. but there are those exceptions. for me, the latest one was the SM7 and I've since sold two of mics, more than paying for the Shure.

#3 and #4 have helped me get and go through alot of equipment. the great thing about music gear is that even if you make a mistake, if you take care of your shit then you should be able to resell it.

and if you have time (and the harder part, patience) then spend time looking for a great deal. between ebay, craigslist and the various music forums, there's always people selling good gear at great prices. so keep an eye and be ready to jump on it when you find a good deal.

try harder... have better mixes to show prospective clients... if thats not possible, then you're recording for free... get some decent bands in there and make them sound godly... its the only way to do it... and don't only mix metal...

3... 2... 1... GO!
Well, I've got most of those checked already, actually. I have awesome mixes to show potential clients. The problem is there's hardly ever any potential clients haha

I would be willing to record for free if it helped me get clients, but I really don't see how it would. Like I said, there's a total lack of prospects, so I don't see how being free would suddenly make clients appear. I haven't had to turn any band away just because I expected payment, either. My rates are really cheap, just because I don't want to turn away that one client I get each summer haha

I've been mixing this one band's EP for free. The whole thing is due to a misunderstanding, but I don't really think I'm going to get any exposure form this mixing.

Also, I have recorded more than metal.

You're advice is good. I'm just saying I've basically got it covered so far, and life is still sucking :lol:
I remind myself that I only earn 122 euros (171 USD) per month :lol: Being a student sucks for GAS :erk: Once I graduate and get a job, then I'll quench it by buying all the gear I've wanted :lol: Luckily there's not too much stuff. Just about 15k EUR worth of gear that I need :lol: Saving 500 EUR from the salary each month, that would only take about 2,5 years to fund fully, and then I'm set for life.
Haha. Reminding myself how much I earn just brings me back to bleak reality--can't.afford.to.quench.GAS.
Sometimes I think "hey if I just had $20k, I could buy everything I want right this instant." I don't think it works like that though. You'll eventually GAS for more stuff!
ask yourself:
Do you really need it, or is it only "nice to have"

i obviously like to buy equpipment, and especially guitars, but if i wouldnt take care, i probably would have now 30 guitars and tons of other equpiment, and no money saved on the bank.

so, what i do is, i have an account for music eqipment only , where i put like 300 Euro each month on it.

i have this account now like 7 years, and everytime when i really want something, i check
1) do i need it
2) is there money avaliable on the account
3) do i really really need it
4) think about it over and over again
5) if all the 4 has been answered with yes then i buy it.

when we got bonus payments etc, i often divide them 50/50 for regular savings and music saving account, that helps too

and in the last 2 years, i also really minimised my consum in alcohol, dvds and cds, that also brought a huge + in funds that can be invested in musical equpiment

about your other question, balance between music gear and guitar gear:
till 2 years ago, i was an guiarist only, so all money basically went into guitar stuff, and that was good, i just bought a few guitars but didnt touch alot of money from the account :)

but now, my responsibilty has changed a bit
on first position, i´m now a songrwriter
second: responsible for recording and soundquality
third: guitarist

so basically most of my saving go now into audio / recording equipment,
my rig is very pro now, and i have many great guitars,
still i want more guitars, haha, but do i really need them,
clearly answered: NO
sometimes that breaks my heard, especially like when i see the guitars that will stinnett builts, i just want to order one, but then, my logic brain says: NO
i´m really sorry will.
That seems like a good strategy, and I like the idea of a music account. The only issue is if I ask myself "do I really need it," I don't see how I could ever say yes. I already have the ability to make professional records (IMO) with "prosumer" gear. If I was a recording engineer just to make money, I probably wouldn't buy anything more at this point. I can make pro-sounding recordings with what I have, so why lower my profits by buying more gear? The fact is, I've already spent 10 times more on gear than I've made back. I do audio as a passion, not as a business. Because it's a passion, I'm always looking to improve my sound quality, or add new options. Always looking for more "toys." Recording bands is something I do for fun, not to make a profit. I only charge money because it takes up my time, and as an attempt to fund the passion. of course, I'd like it to be a business as well, in other words, getting tons of clients, but that would just be so I could buy more gear for my passion.

You know, maybe it's because I rarely have a steady source of any substantial income (though hopefully that will change soon :loco: ), but I really don't get GAS very often - I have one guitar that I'm happy with (my Ibanez), one bass, one recording interface, one amp (well, I will soon again, when I get a Roadster :headbang: ), one cab, and all serve me very well. And for awhile I had to fight mic GAS, but I'm honestly, I'm really happy with one 57!

And as for studio hardware, I've improved my tone so much by messing with amp settings and mic position, so I feel my Onyx preamps are adequate until I can afford like an A2D (FAAAAAAAAR away), and outboard comps/eq's really don't appeal to me at all; I've heard so many amazing ITB mixes that I know I've nowhere reached the limits of that methodology!
Yeah. I mean, I feel like everything I own already is "adequate." I've got 16 adequate preamps, 8 mics that do their job (including an SM57), and a PC capable of recording and mixing. What more do I "need?" What does anyone need. :lol:
Sure, I can buy better quality mics. But why do I "need" them if my 7 cheap-as-hell mics can mic a drumset and sound good? Why get more mics when I can use my SM57 for vocals and it sounds great with some ITB compression, EQ, and reverb?
And the fact that I've heard so many quality ITB mixes is the only thing keeping me away from analog summing boxes and tape machines, and hardware EQ :lol:
The only thing tempting me is the 1176 and LA-2A, but I might just buy those from Waves to save money.

and if you have time (and the harder part, patience) then spend time looking for a great deal. between ebay, craigslist and the various music forums, there's always people selling good gear at great prices. so keep an eye and be ready to jump on it when you find a good deal.

Oh, I feel that. I don't buy anything unless I get a deal/discount.

Was I'm wondering is how to separate my money between GAS and other stuff I want. Like, I definately want a 42'' tv when I'll have finished my studies and have a real job, but at the same time, I'm wondering why would I take my money to buy a tv when buying audio gear would be more useful.

Well, that's part of the equation as well. Obviously, these are decisions we have to make ourselves. I've just been wondering what strategies everyone has come up with for spending money on gear. There's audio gear, music gear, then other hobbies. Band shirts, concerts, video games, TVs, etc.

How do live?

Was I'm wondering is how to separate my money between GAS and other stuff I want. Like, I definately want a 42'' tv when I'll have finished my studies and have a real job, but at the same time, I'm wondering why would I take my money to buy a tv when buying audio gear would be more useful.
well, thats a good question.

i separate like this
1) living costs (house rent, food, gas, insurance, etc...)
2) saving for future (buying a house, vaccation, car repairs, etc)
3) hobby (with is music)

i dont want to buy a huge stereo, full hd tv, bluray stuff, fancy car parts etc because my hobby is the music...
a good friend of my recently bought a really big tv screen, costs aprox 5000 Euros.. and with this tv, you really dont want to go to acinema anymore..
:headbang: its really big and got an amazin resolution and quality, just awesome

then i showed him my new amp, the mesa boogie roadking.. same price..
we use to say "each crazy with his own theme":lol::lol: