How do you tell that your EMG's batteries need to be replaced?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
Title says it.
Do you measure the voltage from time to time, or do you just replace them when you feel like doing so, or do you hear something when they get empty?

I installed the EMGs in my Charvel 750XL by myself. The guitar does not have a dedicated battery compartment which is easy to access. So I cannot simply put them out and check. I have to unscrew a plastic plate and the screwholes are already pretty worn out after 15+ years... That said, is there an easy way to tell when to replace them?

I haven't replaced the battery in my ec-1000 yet, and it's been about 4-5 years since I bought it.

My bass player has an active eq that seems to consume a lot more power, so he changes the battery once a year. His bass just starts to sound like shit, and he pops in a new battery and all is fixed.

I know that wasn't helpful a lot :D

sound gets thinner and a bit scratchy

at that point you're already beyond needing to replace it

just get in a habit of replacing it on a schedule, if it needs it or not ... and don't leave your cable plugged into the guitar

My old old bassist rocked a Modulus 6 string bass with active pickups and/or preamp and I recall his battery dying more than once at practice. It sounded like total shit, and he was all "great now my speaker is blown wtf!?!?!" and I was like "change your battery"....all good in the hood.

I've heard a guitar that had a totally shot battery and it just sounded terrible....squelching and scratchy and whatnot.

What is the average hours for a battery in a guitar with active pickups?

You should be able to get 1000+ hours out of most systems (EMG claims 3000 on the 81) but personally I'd rather drop $4 every six months and never find the limit. Age effects battery life as well.

I just replace my battery every couple months; sometimes people play my guitar and leave it plugged in overnight and shit so $5 every few months to be 100% sure it won't piss out at a show or while recording works for me.

Ive made a short guitar lead that will allow a volt meter to measure the battery voltage . I originally made it to plug into a charger for rechargable batteries . The last battery I swapped out only measured at 8 volts and the emg still sounded good . incidentally you can get rechargable batteries that are about 18 v and not much bigger than a 9v pp3 could be useful if you dont have much space for that 18 v mod .

I do it like every 3 months...Maybe its excessive but I can already hear a difference at that point. I'm sure they claim a certain amount of hours but I bet thats far into sounding shitty territory.

I worked it out once that a dual humbucker guitar would last around 3 months (maybe longer) if you left it plugged in all the time.

I usually replace the battery every year or so, then toss the old one in my wah... and get another year or so out of it.

The best way to test 9v batteries is with your tongue. It will feel strong if it's strong, weak if it's weak.

This is what I do, actually :lol:
I don't have a tester, so that comes closest.

Sound, as other said = thin, weak, scratchy.

If the sound changes pretty rapidly to shit/weak when the battery is dying, and not in a devolving way, at least that's my experience...

If I won't be using a guitar for a while then I remove the battery.