How Do You Track Your CD Collection?

I've been using Collectorz.com Music Collector for years. You can scan barcodes or scan CDs and download all info from the internet. It makes it pretty simple to export to many formats, including HTML. You can view my collection (4127 CDs) at http://mharris.pixelthugs.com/. Ive recently boxed up most of my collection due to an iminent remodel of my basement and this app made it very easy to catalog which CD went into which box, in case I absolutely need to hear some particular disc in the near future.

I really really really hate you for having this: http://mharris.pixelthugs.com/details/333.html

I want that one !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

c.

hmm.. I'd like to try this Collectorz.com program, but my concern is about the mountains of indie demos that likely won't be recognized, yet I don't have a scanner either. How easy is it to import info and artwork that can't be automatically dug up on the net?

Hmmm... I was checking out OrangeCD and it looks like I may give it a try. I also did a quick search on ebay for bar code readers and one can be had for about $15. Thanks for the heads up on the program. I guess my biggest question would be the exporting function to some html code.

With OrangeCD, I only tried the export to HTML quickly (as I was happy with the MyGenres site). You can download templates for the HTML pages, and you can customize your own (I believe). It looked easy to generate the pages.

hmm.. I'd like to try this Collectorz.com program, but my concern is about the mountains of indie demos that likely won't be recognized, yet I don't have a scanner either. How easy is it to import info and artwork that can't be automatically dug up on the net?

Well this program links up to the CDDB. If for some reason a title isnt in there, it will simly add a blank disc to your collection, which you just edit to reflect the proper info (it picks up total tracks and total playtime). Once you 'fill in the blanks', you can submit that info so others will benefit. As for artwork, you can scan the cover, and simply upload it. Its pretty easy.

Well this program links up to the CDDB. If for some reason a title isnt in there, it will simly add a blank disc to your collection, which you just edit to reflect the proper info (it picks up total tracks and total playtime). Once you 'fill in the blanks', you can submit that info so others will benefit. As for artwork, you can scan the cover, and simply upload it. Its pretty easy.

Hmm.. that sounds just perfect and easy enough. Thank you! :cool:

Collectorz offers a free trial version too. I think you can add either 10 or 100 discs (I forget). You can fully acclimate yourself with the program, before deciding if its worthy of purchase (it definitely was for me).

Collectorz offers a free trial version too. I think you can add either 10 or 100 discs (I forget). You can fully acclimate yourself with the program, before deciding if its worthy of purchase (it definitely was for me).

I did the same with OrangeCD (fully functional for 30 days) and I found I liked it. It does make it easier now to order CD's when I can see what I already have :headbang:

With OrangeCD, I only tried the export to HTML quickly (as I was happy with the MyGenres site). You can download templates for the HTML pages, and you can customize your own (I believe). It looked easy to generate the pages.

I was looking for that in the program in the little time I spent with it. I guess I can check out their forums also.

Tools -> Export To HTML

Pick a template, what to display and a location for the files and watch it create your pages...

In my collection, everything is in alphabetical order, and if I have more than one CD from that artist, it's by release date. Then I take pictures. Yep. That's my tracking way. :)

-Metal

Yes, this is how I do it too! Only, I don't take pix of them! :p I'd rather save that for my gf! :Shedevil: ;)

I use a program called visitrax - pretty cool.

www.synapsa.com

Designed for professional DJs and casual collectors alike, VisiTrax provides quick and easy access to your audio CDs, records, tapes, and MP3 files. Browse, sort, and find songs instantly! Create, manage, and save timed playlists. Print professional looking listings, using the print preview panel's handy layout controls.

Save time entering new data with field auto-completion, smart index numbering, and a built-in CD player that can automatically retrieve CD titles from a free on-line database. Use any category and media format naming you like. Use VisiTrax with Winamp!

It's not RARE as such, but over here we only get the "Jump The Gun" version, whereas in USA it was originally released as "Lethal Heroes" ... I need that one bad.

c.

Gotcha! Yea, the Lethal Heroes CD I have actually has Lethal Heroes on the cover and Jump the Gun on the spine. Maybe in 100 years it'll be worth something...