How is everyone's training going?

I don't mean to preach or come off as a know-it-all but as a woman you better watch your muscle mass, It's far too important to your health. You're going to lose around 10% naturally over the next 15 years and long distance running only ups that percentage. Not to mention what you're doing to your joints,ligaments and cartilage running long distance.

Thumbs up for your effort! Sounds like your ability, will & determination has far exceeded your comfort and pleasure seeking.

P.S As a polite suggestion, I recommend sprinting/interval training and light weight lifting to maintain what muscle you already have, and then as you advance in technique start pushing heavier weight to gain more lean muscle mass.

...and don't forget how important essential fat( 12-20% )is too your bone marrow, central nervous system, muscles, vital organs and reproductive system.

You're a smart person so you probably know all this already. I just give people the heads up/reminder sometimes as I've seen people close to me deteriorate because of diet and exercise, it's a sensitive subject for me, anyway, Good-Luck! & Keep It Up!

Well, I discovered that the strength programming for CF Football isnt very good, so I decided to take the Chaos and Pain approach. Basically, you lift a minimum of 5 or 6 times a week, doing heavy singles/doubles/triples whenever possible, and take light sessions and off days as you need them. Within that framework, you make the rules. I've definitely been enjoying it so far, and managed to hit a 30 pound PR on front squat this morning.

Thanks Jimmy. I don't have a gym around but I'm always lugging heavy bags around and I do pushups 4-5 days a week to complement the cardio I do. I already do sprints/jumping jacks built into runs 1-2x/week and 5.5 miles is my "long" run.

Honestly the only reason I'm doing all this is so I can eat more, lol

update:

I have been training every day for a solid month with a set of gymnastics rings I purchased online for 30 dollars. Let me get right to the point and say that they're the most effective piece of gym equipment I have ever used, no hyperbole. The strength gains I have seen are enormous and have come at a rapid rate. I have been blasting out hanging ring pull ups, hanging dips (normal and Bulgarian), body rows and push ups. I also do hanging 360 back rotations for my core, which are absolutely killer. Overall, all of the exercises are fantastic and there's loads more than I mentioned (Iron cross, muscle ups, L-sits etc). They sculpt your body with lean muscle mass and shred your abs since a lot of the attention goes to your core.

I swear, gymnasts are most likely the most well rounded pure athletes. If you've never tried training on rings, I can't describe how hard it is to support your own body weight. I'm at 185, which is a lot for me, and makes it really difficult.

Look at some of this stuff:

Last edited by a moderator:
crunches are even less effective but the distance and the pullups addition is good.

Crunches are better for your back in general.

Anyway: Working my new job and having a family totally killed my exercising for probably the past year. Now that I have established a new "groove" to some degree schedule wise, going to try and start running again, and get my own bench and weights soon.

Ran like 1-1 1/2 miles this morning for the first time in forever, lungs were burnin. Great feelin.

Recent new deadlift PR of 440lbs at 169lb bodyweight. Want to do a set of 397 x 5 next deadlift session, but I don't think I'm up to it yet. I had more in the tank for the 1RM though, maybe 463lbs. I'm gonna psyche up for 485lbs x 1 in two weeks time and see how badly that goes - haven't failed a max attempt for several months so maybe I'm not actually lifting at my full capacity. I'd like to hit 500lbs sometime in the next few months.

Relearning squats after watching the eliteFTS "So you think you can squat?" series. There's a lot of info in that that I didn't know, which could be why my hips hurt a lot when I squat (too much quad activation, or something, causing undue stress on the hip flexors). Squat maxes at the moment are 353lbs x 2, 298lbs x 5, don't know about 1RM. They are lower than they should be, compared to my deadlift.

Fuck bench. Still can't flat bench without shoulder pain. Been using pseudo-close grip incline presses to work my chest recently - I can move fuck all weight but I'm really seeing my chest grow and feeling the muscle activate during workouts, which is nice. My current objective is pretty much to look good anyway, so it's not a big deal what I'm benching ;D (I'll keep telling myself that).

I am just a creaking bag of bones. Haven't been running in almost two weeks due to various foot and ankle pain and today my Achilles tendon has started to audibly creak and crack which freaks me the f out.

No real progress, just staying consistent with cardio (these days it's epic 90 minute "haul ass" walks with stairs and lots of hills or a gay DVD at home) and doing half-assed core stuff in my living room, averaging 100 pushups, 200 crunches, planks, and squats (body weight only) daily.

edit: Great job Hez! 440 lbs is like four ladies.

I'm probably in the best shape of my life atm. On Mondays i lift 2 times a day (once at lunch for an hour, then chest with a friend at night). The next 4 days i lift as well. Recently started a high protein diet eating only 2 big meals a day and 3 snacks in between. My only carbs come from oatmeal in the morning, two slices of 100% whole wheat bread, and green veggies with my dinner. Shredding up quick.

Sweet.

I want to get semi-serious about weightlifting when I have access to a gym upon U.S. repatriation. The idea of being able to maintain a desirable weight while eating >2,500 calories a day is sooooo appealing.

After about three weeks so far since I started a workout routine it is already paying off. I'm building muscle little by little, my metabolism has shot up and I'm much less prone to depressive episodes and anxiety than I used to be.

Every other day (roughly 3 days a week) I hit the gym, first by running a mile around the indoor track, then lifting weights for about an hour. I do free-weights only and focus on upper body. I'm usually the weakest person there (though benching three sets of ten with 100 lbs is better than most people) but for some reason being around all the douchebag fraternity boys doesn't bother me, so long as I have my iPod.

So yeah, anyone who tells you that a regular workout regimen pays off, take them seriously.