How long does it take you to rip a CD to MP3?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
It takes me about 5 minutes, but it's obviously a real commercial venture now.

Look at this: RipDigital CD to MP3 Conversion Service. Burn CDs to MP3, AAC, Windows Media (WMA), FLAC and lossless

That's essentially a buck a CD.

I rip approx 5 CDs at a time, so it takes approx 25 to 30 minutes. Eventually I'll rip the entire collection and get it completely ported to my iPOD. Currently, I carry the equivalent of 500 albums around with me wherever I go (and I only have a 30Gb drive).

Of course, if someone wanted to have 100 CDs ripped in one go, they could either spend $99 or spend up to 9 hours sitting at their PC.

I use Exact Audio Copy with the Lame 3.97 mp3 codec in secure mode. SO that takes about 15-20 minutes per disc, less for EPs/Singles. More for albums that are like 60+ minutes long.

lol@paying to have someone rip your music for you...

500 albums?!

I'm guessing. At 30,000MB where 1MB = 1 minute, that's about 500 hours. The average album being 1 hour = 500 albums (approx).

I listen to 3 full albums per day, so it's good to have access to an entire portable "jukebox" -- all ripped at 192K which is CD quality.

I use Exact Audio Copy with the Lame 3.97 mp3 codec in secure mode. SO that takes about 15-20 minutes per disc, less for EPs/Singles. More for albums that are like 60+ minutes long.

20 mins per disc for 100 CDs = 35 hours !!

lol@paying to have someone rip your music for you...

Average salary in middle class NY = $60 - $70 per hour.

But yeah, I wouldn't pay for it...but obviously other people will (and do). People pay for convenience. Same reason why they'll use eBay stores to have someone else manage the effort.

Heh i don't rip discs consecutively really. Only what i have a desire to hear or if i get a new album then i'll make a copy. If i had a d/l of an album before i bought it i then delete those mp3s and replace them with my own rip. So over time i have accumulated nearly my entire collection onto this thing without having to close off tremendous blocks of time just for ripping.

Yea i know, people will sacrifice money for convenience. I'm a bit more pragmatic than that though. That's a high salary but then again the cost of living is much higher in NY. Meh, there is very little effort required to rip CDs or run an eBay auction. Some just don't want to find out how or feel they can't do it so don't try. Oh well...

Well, sometimes the rip you get online will be less than perfect since you have no idea how many times it has been d/led and can suffer from data corruption through all of the mass transit. Encoders tend to use the LAME codec for compression but that's not true in all cases. Even so, people who do compress with LAME can use weird settings so either way you may get washed out high frequencies or a low end rumble that shouldn't be there.

Often though the d/ls will be quite good if not perfect and so probably doesn't merit a re-rip but i'm picky. :/ Whether it sounds any different ir not i still like to make my own copy so it's from a "first-gen" or original source.

As far as ripping higher than 192, i don't guess it really matters since the file should be an exact copy at that bit rate. Some people will swear up and down that anything less than a 320 mp3, FLAC, APE, raw WAV or OGG file is filth and shouldn't taint the world of music. i don't care, it's my music and i'll rip it how i want. 192 suits me fine as well as High Quality VBR rips.

"all ripped at 192K which is CD quality."
Not true. 320kbps isn't even cd quality.

Really? Can you hear the difference between 192K and 320K? So should I start ripping at 320K?

I still dont belive it. I need real statistics.

Thats just insane.

:erk: I dunno what to tell you man... most people earning $100K per year would have some difficulty living in NY. Most couples are double income because they have to be. To be comfortable in NYC, your household should be earning AT LEAST $150K per annum.

Well, sometimes the rip you get online will be less than perfect since you have no idea how many times it has been d/led and can suffer from data corruption through all of the mass transit. Encoders tend to use the LAME codec for compression but that's not true in all cases. Even so, people who do compress with LAME can use weird settings so either way you may get washed out high frequencies or a low end rumble that shouldn't be there.

Often though the d/ls will be quite good if not perfect and so probably doesn't merit a re-rip but i'm picky. :/ Whether it sounds any different ir not i still like to make my own copy so it's from a "first-gen" or original source.

As far as ripping higher than 192, i don't guess it really matters since the file should be an exact copy at that bit rate. Some people will swear up and down that anything less than a 320 mp3, FLAC, APE, raw WAV or OGG file is filth and shouldn't taint the world of music. i don't care, it's my music and i'll rip it how i want. 192 suits me fine as well as High Quality VBR rips.

Great post. Thanks for the info.

Guess I should open my Negura Bunget CD and re-rip it. Might have to watch the DVD at some point too. :loco:

You're welcome :) I'm no complete authority, i'm just going by what i personally know through experience having done this for about 6 years now. If your Om d/l works for you and sounds like you think it should i don't see why you should rip your own disc. I'm just anal retentive is all when it come to my own discs and mp3s :loco: