How long does it take you to rip a CD to MP3?

Well, all my MP3s are 192K but I didn't know that people might be fiddling with the encoder compression settings etc

But my god, I don't hear a damn difference between a 192K MP3 and a CD !!!

Yea people can 'normalize' an mp3 which brings up the volume throughout the entire track to whatever you want it to be. Doing that can eliminate any dynamics or atmosphere that was originally intended. It's not too common but i've heard mp3s done that way. Most LAME rippers use what is known as the Alt Preset Standard setting which is good.

If you can't tell a difference then it shouldn't matter what other people tell you is better, especially if that advice would require you to use more disk space since you wouldn't hear any difference and would not gain any benefit. Sometimes i can tell a difference but it's not HUGE and is rare. My ears aren't as good as they used to be so i don't worry about small discrepancies.

Just to make sure JayKeeley wasn't full of shit I did some research. If I moved to NY, NY from Nashville, I'd need to make $92250, which is, with 45 hours a week, $40 an hour. That's a bit far off from $60-70 and I would consider myself middle-class. So, in that sense, Ima gonna have to agree with Doomcifer that that figure is a bunch of crap.
However, I discovered that the cost of living in NY,NY is 100% higher than Nashville. hahahaha. So, to maintain the same standard of living I would need another $60,000 or so per year. Now, THAT'S ridiculous. So, yeah, he's right. You need two incomes to live comfortably in NY. However, in Nashville, my wife gets to stay home with our son and avoid some child-care retard sticking pencils in his butt. Folks in NY don't get that opportunity apparently so I'd have to conclude that I don't want to live in NY.

Actually, I worded that wrong: I wouldn't NEED to make $92250, that's probably what I'd get paid. What I NEED would be the $92250 PLUS the $60,000. Doh!

However, I discovered that the cost of living in NY,NY is 100% higher than Nashville. hahahaha. So, to maintain the same standard of living I would need another $60,000 or so per year. Now, THAT'S ridiculous. So, yeah, he's right.

Don't think I'm right, just assume it. :loco:

You need two incomes to live comfortably in NY. However, in Nashville, my wife gets to stay home with our son and avoid some child-care retard sticking pencils in his butt. Folks in NY don't get that opportunity apparently so I'd have to conclude that I don't want to live in NY.

With the trade off being, you live in Nashville. :loco:

Ok, long story short, I'd need to make $150,000 as an RN which actually works out to JayKeeley's figure of $60-70. So, he's right. But, I believe his figure is based on two-income households. There's no way your middle-class desk-jockey is making $150,000. Two people making $30 an hour, yes. Which in the REAL WORLD works out to about $15-20 an hour which is a bit on the low side for a college graduate starting out.
5 stars for JayKeeley then.

I use ExactAudioCopy as well, with LAME on the standard preset. However, I usually just use burst mode or whatever the fastest one is called unless I'm ripping a cd that I know is scratched and needs a secure mode rip. VBR with LAME really is pretty much the best way to rip to MP3... Usually saves space compared to high constant bitrate rips without compromising the quality too much. When I'm downloading, which hasn't been for a while now, I usually go for 192 or better if I can't get VBR.

Actually, I worded that wrong: I wouldn't NEED to make $92250, that's probably what I'd get paid. What I NEED would be the $92250 PLUS the $60,000. Doh!

Yes, I think I did mention a $150K figure estimated income.

People people, I'm not blowing smoke here, just trust me (and those others who live in this neck of the woods). If we all lived where you lived on our salaries, we'd be in those mansions on the top of the hill you see each day as you drive to K-Mart in your used Civic.

With the trade off being, you live in Nashville. :loco:

No complaints here, ACCEPT that I've been priced out of my own neighborhood. I've made $70,000 on my house in two years but now everything else is just as expensive. haha! Oh well.

If we all lived where you lived on our salaries, we'd be in those mansions on the top of the hill you see each day as you drive to K-Mart in your used Civic.
I assume you realize you wouldn't actually make that anywhere else.

How the fuck do all the janitors, baristas, grocery store baggers, and dildo molders stay afloat?!?! That's an insane amount of money.

Jay, are you hiring?!?! :loco:

I use ExactAudioCopy as well, with LAME on the standard preset. However, I usually just use burst mode or whatever the fastest one is called unless I'm ripping a cd that I know is scratched and needs a secure mode rip. VBR with LAME really is pretty much the best way to rip to MP3... Usually saves space compared to high constant bitrate rips without compromising the quality too much. When I'm downloading, which hasn't been for a while now, I usually go for 192 or better if I can't get VBR.

I've used various settings/encoders over the years but have been using EAC w/LAME for a while now so everything on here isn't a HQ VBR like i'd like it to be but it doesn't bother me that much. I use secure since it stands the best chance of creating a perfect/near perfect copy. Using Burst Mode though would seriously cut down on rip time though:lol:

Chapel Hill? Eh, you're something like 2 or 3 hours from me i think... i live in the Rockingham area. Blah, i dislike Nascar.

How the fuck do all the janitors, baristas, grocery store baggers, and dildo molders stay afloat?!?! That's an insane amount of money.

Dood. Use salary.com. You either need two middle-income people living together or you need about 12 dildo-molders living together. You can't do it alone apparently. The cost of living is 100% higher than Nashville, one of the richest per-capita cities in America.

How the fuck do all the janitors, baristas, grocery store baggers, and dildo molders stay afloat?!?!

Taxi drivers too. I don't know -- they work 20 hours a day, live in the armpit of the Bronx, thrive on food stamps, eat rats.

That's an insane amount of money.

And you get to live in a one bedroom studio for $2500 per month! You know what they say: location, location, location.

Only non-whites. :loco: