How many here follow the Northern Way?

Azmodeus said:
How many members here are Odinists, Asatru, or whatever you may call yourself? How long have you been a believer and how did you discover it?
I was raised in a krisjian family and forced to go to church, Sunday school, etc. I never felt anything for their beliefs and didn't believe in their bible, prophets or the desert god. About 6 months ago I got the Therion cd Secret of The Runes. It deals with the ancient beliefs and contains one song for each of the nine worlds as well as an intro and outro. This led to Richard Wagner's Ring of The Nibelung. From there I began researching the web and reading books. An excellent website is Northvegr. They do an excellent job of keeping the true ancient traditions from being infected with new age or wicca elements which are quite common in some belief systems I've found. For books, you've got to start with the Eddas. The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturleson written about 1000 CE after Snorri's conversion to krisjianity to preserve the stories and beliefs of his ancestors. Unfortunately the krisjian influence is easily apparent in his writings. The other must read is The Poetic Edda. I have the Oxford World's Classic edition. I greatly prefer the Poetic over the Prose. From there you can read the Sagas and there are alot of them.
I think it's great how more and more I'm seeing people wearing Thor's Hammers and hearing bands like Amon Amarth who are trying to make people aware that the ways of our ancestors are not vanished, but are actually in resurgence.

i wouldn't consider myself a odinist, but i do study the nordic religion somewhat, and have a high respect for it. i also wear thors hammer for 2 reasons:

1 - i respect the culture and the people behind it.
2- it looks awesome.

Personally, the substitution of one shaky system of belief for another seems somewhat absurd. I do however wear a Thor's head hammer and here's why: Although I in no way believe in Norse religion, any more than I believe in Christianity, Judaism, etc... there are other ways to look at and appreciate things. If one looks at any religion and its figures as archetypes, and analyses not its mythologies, but its basic ethos, one can easily adopt that way of living, or percieving the world without buying into any sort of actual religious belief. I greatly appreciate the fundamental ethos of the old Norse religion, and I see the hammer around my neck as a representatio of that, and no more than that.

But saying that you make fool of people really believing in a religion. I mean, how you can appreciate things you dont believe at all in? The thing that Im always suspicious at is that 95% of the people who use to get close to norse religion and heathenism in general, wearing Thor's hammers around their necks are the same people who want to look evil wearing t-shirts with inversed crosses over. Is a kind of fashion now. I would spit back on the faces of people wearing my religious symbols only for is "cool".

No Cadarn, I'm not insulting the religion or those who hold true belief in it, I'm simply saying that in terms of personal belief I detect no more authenticity in one religion's stories than another. I don't have to believe in a mythology to respect its message, and honor it in my own way...

what i think is a bit sad is that asatru seems to get more poplular amongst not only germanic folk but european people in general. why i think this is sad is because the various other european religions get more and more forgotten. everyone seems keen on odin and thor, but what about perun, jupiter, zeus, perkunas, cruachan and so on. cadarn, from what i remember you said you're from basque land. well, it's certainly your own decision, but aren't you interested in your own origional religion (adhur anyone)?

i haven't seen a similar popularity for the roman or greek pantheon for instance! i think that's a pitty! these religions have also a lot to offer!

i mean one could say that indo-european religions are really similar and all sprung from a common source long ago. but if people don't try to remember and revive their own myths and traditions, those will forever be lost!

Yeah all we need is a bunch of MTV kids to start wearing a Thor's hammer just to look cool. MTV, the rap and hiphop factory have already reduced the christian cross to a big money making symbol. I should ask all 'em gangsta rappers what type of value they attach to their so called cross? To me a black guy singing about blowing whitey's head with a sawed-off and hussling his way around town with his gold chain cross isn't reallt what this cross is supposed to represent? well that is if you don't take into account the last 2000 years of death and destruction this cross has shed upon the world. Now it seems trendy to wear a cross, dress like a clown, wear rags on yr heads and mix it up and you have 80% of america's youth.

Pls keep our northern values where they belong and that is hidden from most people and media.

That was my 2 cents for the day.

"i haven't seen a similar popularity for the roman or greek pantheon for instance! i think that's a pitty! these religions have also a lot to offer!"

True, and after those one could add the native american religions and many, many more...

Fleischwolf said:
i haven't seen a similar popularity for the roman or greek pantheon for instance! i think that's a pitty! these religions have also a lot to offer!
C'mon, greek myth has spawn tons of movies (Hercules in New York, tons of Illiad/Odyssey movies) and a very long running tv series- Hercules: The Legendary Journies (and Xena). The closest I've seen of Norse mythology is a two-part guest appearance on the aforementioned Hercules series.