How many here follow the Northern Way?

Fleischwolf said:
what i think is a bit sad is that asatru seems to get more poplular amongst not only germanic folk but european people in general. why i think this is sad is because the various other european religions get more and more forgotten. everyone seems keen on odin and thor, but what about perun, jupiter, zeus, perkunas, cruachan and so on. cadarn, from what i remember you said you're from basque land. well, it's certainly your own decision, but aren't you interested in your own origional religion (adhur anyone)?

i haven't seen a similar popularity for the roman or greek pantheon for instance! i think that's a pitty! these religions have also a lot to offer!

i mean one could say that indo-european religions are really similar and all sprung from a common source long ago. but if people don't try to remember and revive their own myths and traditions, those will forever be lost!

No, no, man. I was talking about norse religion and people involved/or pretending to be in it. I consider myself a ROMAN heathen keeping with me, of course as youve said, even elements of my native land religion (impossible for me to keep the all sistem alive here in a different place). The thing is that you are totally right, man! How people living far from Scandinavia can TRUELY feel and express themselves with certain forms of religion? The relation "blood and soil" aint something invented and if people could take a look to certain roman archeologic documents many things would become clear.

DeathBlade said:
True, and after those one could add the native american religions and many, many more...

????? do you mean that seriously? on one side native americans are still much more in touch with their old ways than europeans. i mean many of them still live their traditions and are not looked upon as weird by the public.

second, native american traditions have become a sort of trend too. how many europeans, disappointed and unsatisfied by christianity, rather seek their spiritual sake in following native american customs(of course totaly distorted and perverted), buddhism or whatever else may seem trendy at the moment instead of rediscovering their very own spiritual and traditional believe system. It’s so ridiculous how many view far eastern martial arts, which also has a strong spiritual component, as so wise and sophisticated, when on the other side there’s european martial arts, like for instance stav, who of course allmost no one knows about, can offer the same but in a genuine european spriritual way. Blood and soil are indeed linked, this is no nazi invention!

Brainkisser said:
C'mon, greek myth has spawn tons of movies (Hercules in New York, tons of Illiad/Odyssey movies) and a very long running tv series- Hercules: The Legendary Journies (and Xena). The closest I've seen of Norse mythology is a two-part guest appearance on the aforementioned Hercules series.

And what does that tell us? That we have to choose our belive system according to the popularity or existence of a fucking stupid television series? Greek and roman mythology have nothing to do with this american retarded hercules or xena series! hercules is the roman name for herakles, even though this is supposed to take place in greece and this is the least of problems this series has!

And thats the thing. That to me, to bring back a religious sistem or things related with it only because is "scenical" and "glamourish" is not at all a sign of respect. I mean, I dont want to judge people wearing hammers or eagles or suncrosses (and REALLY I have to thank the Gods if roman heathen religion is not so popular!) but its pretty clear that you dont become an "heathen" only for the fact that you are wearing a symbol.
P.s. tomorrow I will buy a cross and I will wear it, so I will be able to consider myself christian.

Fleischwolf said:
And what does that tell us? That we have to choose our belive system according to the popularity or existence of a fucking stupid television series? Greek and roman mythology have nothing to do with this american retarded hercules or xena series! hercules is the roman name for herakles, even though this is supposed to take place in greece and this is the least of problems this series has!
I'm just pointing out that that system has a much greater popularity here. Also, at my college, there are several classes that deal with greek/roman mythology in some respect, and one that is devoted just to that. The most you can learn about Norse mythology here is one day of a medieval europe class.

I think the popularity of certain mythologies/religions is based largely upon how powerful and important the related culture was. Greek and Rome had a huge influence on the world, chirstianity certainly does, even egyptian myth is somewhat popular. I guess when people go looking for a religion or something, they look at the ones that aren't as popular, trying to find something that will let them be different.

Brainkisser said:
I guess when people go looking for a religion or something, they look at the ones that aren't as popular, trying to find something that will let them be different.
and that's exactly the problem! they don't care about their genuine heritage, they just "be a pagan" to be different! what a poor intention for living ancient traditions!

:err:

How can a human believe in gods without having proof of their existance?
Are gods just an invention for tried explanations of the so-far undefineable in certain ages, or just a thing of personal power over other people? We don't know that exactly, so where is the point in following "unknown/undefined creatures" called gods?

Personally I do refuse every god. I deny the "lord", and all others, 'cuz I don't know if they're existant. It doesn't matter how different gods are defined/characterized in texts. Its nothing more then unproven stuff(perhaps they're nothing more then "heroes",that lived sometime somewhere, and who had been given a written stature for influencing/inspiring further generations in which way ever), so I don't understand the above...Perhaps they exist, perhaps not, so who knows that definatly?
I do follow my own character, so I could say I'm my own god(here I can follow, 'cuz as long as I exist, the proof is given for the presence of this "god").

Fleischwolf said:
what i think is a bit sad is that asatru seems to get more poplular amongst not only germanic folk but european people in general. why i think this is sad is because the various other european religions get more and more forgotten. everyone seems keen on odin and thor, but what about perun, jupiter, zeus, perkunas, cruachan and so on. cadarn, from what i remember you said you're from basque land. well, it's certainly your own decision, but aren't you interested in your own origional religion (adhur anyone)?

i haven't seen a similar popularity for the roman or greek pantheon for instance! i think that's a pitty! these religions have also a lot to offer!

That's because you're looking in the wrong places! I suppose it's not really until you get into one of these "pagan" religions and start mingeling with the forums and newsgroups and partys and gatherings that you actually come to realize that there are lots of other religions that are alive and well. It's just that Wicca and Asatru get the mainstream press becuase we tend to be the loudest because we were overtaken by brute force...I think (hence a lot of people feel the need for revenge and try to claw their way back to the top). There are litterally loads of "Romans" out there, for example, in the circles that I hang out with, and a lot of shamans from Lapp culture and Native American groups, all of whom mingle with the likes of myself because we as a group generally respect eachother. They get sucked in under the banner of "paganism" because they come to our gatherings a lot because they can worship freely there and get along in the group with likeminded floks and not have anyone pass judgement on them from a Christian standpoint. That doesn't mean they are not there. They just don't make as much noise as we do....

The most you can learn about Norse mythology here is one day of a medieval europe class.

I guess when people go looking for a religion or something, they look at the ones that aren't as popular, trying to find something that will let them be different.[/QUOTE]

I did not go looking for this at all. I am so incredibly anti-religion that it's not even funny. It never made sense to me to believe in something we could not prove or see or whatever. I will NEVER use this to go on a power trip or to make an excuse for a behavior. That's what religion does when it goes wrong.I was a good person before I knew the name of it, I am not that way because of it. Asatru found me, not the other way around. I was looking to find out why it is that I raise my daughters differently to other people here and where that came from, and it hit me square in the face that it's because of my heritage and how women are treated differently as an extension of religion and all sorts of crap. Suddenly it made sense who I was and why, and then it just felt right. It's not something I do on purpose, it's a feeling that sits in my gut and runs all up my spine. That, however, does not mean I believe that frost giants and dwarfs are still among us in human form and so on. This religion is free of dogma, and it's up to me to interpret it.

Also, how do you mean about learning about the Norse in the above quote?

Tyra said:
Also, how do you mean about learning about the Norse in the above quote?
From a formal academic standpoint. There's no classes on norse history, culture, religion, or anything else by itself, all we get it when they interact with continental Europe. In one of the classes I took on Medieval Europe, we spent one class session on the viking and norse mythology. (That's the day I got my username for this board.)

What are you saying?!? Roman heathenism is not active in other countries (and I mean in serious ways) apart of Italy for obvious reasons. The use of latin ritual language and the contact with certain places, just to say something. And is better like that. Also the roman conception of heathendom includes PRIVATE and STATAL forms of religion that I dont find hilarious at all to talk about.

As my post stated, I reffered only to the state aspect of Roman religion, which if you read the sources was not exactley thought of as religiously important...simply vital in creating a unified front in the empire. One could worship whatever the hell eastern mystery religion or whaterver one wanted to, as long as you paid lip-service to the state religion.

It occurs to me I may come off as an asshole in these posts. If I do, I apologize, my intent is not to offend anyone.

I am a member of no religion, though I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a power higher than that of man and nature. I do believe, personally, that there is a source from which all energy comes, and that this source is perhaps a being that defies everything we know about power and existence...perhaps even a pantheon of such beings.

I do, however, have a deep appreciation for all mythology, as each system of belief contains lessons that are universal to mankind. I admire Norse mythology in particular, and have had strong urges to identify myself with the modern incarnation of it, since I can trace my earliest ancestors back to Scandinavia. But it is not something I can take on lightly, nor will I adorn myself with its symbols for any other reason than total devotion to it and its ways. That does not stop me, though, from studying its history and the few remaining sources of its teachings. Being born an American has robbed me of a true culture and heritage, instead I'm expected to swallow one that is as mixed and corrupt as the people who founded the nation. Besides, all we're ever taught of our own mythology and heritage is nothing but propaganda. This is true now more than ever.

What disturbs me the most is not those who strive to be a part of something for purely egotistical reasons, but those who are wholly ignorant of the roots of human belief to which they owe their own faith. Even Christianity was heavily influenced by the Celts, pagan Romans, and countless other cultures that were eventually "brought into the fold". Most Christians will refuse to acknowledge such an influence, and often will dismiss it with hatred. It is strange how many of them have no idea of Christian history beyond the bible.

dyingculture said:
What disturbs me the most is not those who strive to be a part of something for purely egotistical reasons, but those who are wholly ignorant of the roots of human belief to which they owe their own faith. Even Christianity was heavily influenced by the Celts, pagan Romans, and countless other cultures that were eventually "brought into the fold". Most Christians will refuse to acknowledge such an influence, and often will dismiss it with hatred. It is strange how many of them have no idea of Christian history beyond the bible.
I believe the reason for the will to stay ignorant is quite simple: if christians admit in adopting stuff and being influenced by countless cultures, most of which are pagan, it will cause the christianity look not that good.... not so special anymore.... and defintly cause people to think twice about what they are believing in. Its hard to accept the roots of christianity for some christians. The hardcore christians especially. Besides christians are being educated not to ask some questions. such as who really wrote the bible and the new testament. especially the last one, because the first one is just a copy of the jewish holy book.

Dyingculture, you are exactly right. Thank you very much for that. And Beorn, too, as usual. All I want is for people to think for themselves and not be so f-ing ignorant. Then maybe we could all get along better because we wouldn't be able to hate eachother by denying that all our belief systems and rules and morality and all that is intertwined. Cultures and religions don't happen in a vaccuum.

Beorn - I agree. Even Bernard of Clairvaux, one of Christendom's greatest holy men, consulted with rabbis to translate the hebrew old testament. Where I live, the very word "pagan" usually stirs up visions of Satanic human sacrifice and severed goat heads in the minds of most people...though that is as far from the truth as they could ever realize.

Tyra - You raise an excellent point. Such ignorance has, in the past, led to the bloodshed and subjugation of entire cultures, and probably will again. Only now, with our modern weapons, the entire world is at stake. And unlike the destruction wrought during Ragnarok, nothing will rise from the ashes.

i follow asatru in some way
but to me it's not a religious system controlling my behavior but a belief resulting from my views and behavior, something not-so-strict, a way of life
i do not practice any rituals because i think that can't be the core of asatru

I believe and i praise the Greek ancient Gods(Zeus=Odin).. but i admire and respect a lot the scandinaviam gods..a lot of people say that i am stupid but they don't know that they are stupids because they are slaves of christianity and of church so they can suck my balls!!!!!!!
BE A PAGAN!!
FUCK CHRISTIANS!!
ODIN GUIDE MY SWORD!!