How many of you guys are trying to go full-time with this?

brianhood

No Care Ever
I know I kind of fell off that map from this forum, but it's been cool to see how many guys from the "old days" have made a career out of this.

Which of you current regulars are full time, and who are still working towards it?

Shameless plug: I did write an article about this subject - http://www.thesixfigurehomestudio.com/why-most-home-studios-fail/

(The post isn't nearly as "negative" as the url implies.)

Reactions: TRUIE
Hi Brian,
Really nice article as usual.
I'm planning to go full time ASAP ; did the whole test thing and already took action to move forward.
That shit is really complete, thank you for this amazing content and giving all of this for free !

Speaking for myself, I'm not trying to become a full time audio engineer. I'm more focusing on my band, and I'm trying to use what I learn here to help bring forward said band.

That is, we've been a work in progress for some time. A friend of mine and myself have been writing music for some time and we are at a stage where we have enough material for a full album. So, we're trying to
- Record a nice instrumental homemade demo to be used for recruitment purposes.
- Find missing bandmembers with it.
- Record a more complete demo involving every band member
- Book some local shows
- Record a full album
- Tour in Japan XD

So ya, I think that since we don't have any money, if we can do something homemade that sounds half decent, we're increasing our visibility (it's just human to not be interested if it sounds like shit, no matter how great the music can be).

Maybe we'll be able to become a full time band, but I'm not fooling myself. I'm just doing it because I like it and I'm fine if we never become popular. As long as I play music.

Speaking for myself, I'm not trying to become a full time audio engineer. I'm more focusing on my band, and I'm trying to use what I learn here to help bring forward said band.

That is, we've been a work in progress for some time. A friend of mine and myself have been writing music for some time and we are at a stage where we have enough material for a full album. So, we're trying to
- Record a nice instrumental homemade demo to be used for recruitment purposes.
- Find missing bandmembers with it.
- Record a more complete demo involving every band member
- Book some local shows
- Record a full album
- Tour in Japan XD

So ya, I think that since we don't have any money, if we can do something homemade that sounds half decent, we're increasing our visibility (it's just human to not be interested if it sounds like shit, no matter how great the music can be).

Maybe we'll be able to become a full time band, but I'm not fooling myself. I'm just doing it because I like it and I'm fine if we never become popular. As long as I play music.

This is how I've seen a lot of people get their start (including myself). Once I figured out that the studio was my calling more than a band, my mindset switched. Not saying you will ever want to try to go full time, but that's just how it panned out for me.

This is how I've seen a lot of people get their start (including myself). Once I figured out that the studio was my calling more than a band, my mindset switched. Not saying you will ever want to try to go full time, but that's just how it panned out for me.

Haha! Funny you mention that cause I did ask myself that question, just recently.

I mean, I do enjoy mixing and recording stuff, so I ended up wondering if, possibly, I'm more into recording than actually writing music and being in a band.

After some inner soul searching! I came up with the answer that I'm definitely more a musician than a sound engineer
Though I'll always enjoy participating to the recording, mixing process.

I do it for fun basically. I don't think there is ever the possibility of going professional. At least for me, and I also don't give it enough time. Each mix I get better and better, but I just mix the music I make. One day I should cut the BS and stick to just music though.

I'd pretty much kill to work full time at a studio. My location is pretty much horrible though. There's a couple guys around here that get what seems like fairly consistent business, but they're producing mixes that are crushing the shit out of what I can do.

So I do it for fun, mixing my own demo stuff with programmed drums. I've seemed to have been at a standstill for a few years now, regarding quality of my mixes though.

Haha! Funny you mention that cause I did ask myself that question, just recently.

I mean, I do enjoy mixing and recording stuff, so I ended up wondering if, possibly, I'm more into recording than actually writing music and being in a band.

After some inner soul searching! I came up with the answer that I'm definitely more a musician than a sound engineer
Though I'll always enjoy participating to the recording, mixing process.
I am the same, this topic comes up a lot with my friends who a great of them also produce metal. I actually love production, the learning along the way and the challenges. Trying to solve problems without buying the next whiz bang plug in that promises the masses will fix their problems for them. Its a fun journey. I get better and better. Funnily I have noticed that you can usually get a better product as a musician if you combine your efforts with a partner who focuses more solely on production. Regardless you have the skills as well, if you stay in the musician mindset, you will focus more on the song.

So for myself, I am focusing on making as much music of my own to leave on the earth as possible whilst I still work for the man and have consistent cash to pay for high quality productions. After this though, my plan is to use all my learned recording and production knowledge to record and mix other bands. I figure the sitting in a room in front of a computer using your ears, can be done to a later age than jumping off stages can ..