How many times do you listen to an album before passing judgement?

Are you a goldfish?

• More than 5.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
For me, it has to be at least 5 times. Indeed, there have been albums which I've listened to several times, put them away for six months, and came back to them with new found glory.

EDIT: This poll assumes that the album you're listening to exists within a genre that you already like.

There are albums that I've listened to hundreds of times and I still can't make up my mind on. Usually 5-10, though, probably... sometimes 1 :)

3-5 usually but i went ahead and chose 3 for the poll. Normally the more spins it takes for me to like something the more appreciation i'll have for the music and for a longer period than "instant" albums.

JayKeeley said:
EDIT: This poll assumes that the album you're listening to exists within a genre that you already like.
Right, okay. Around 10 times if it's a group I like, usually 3 to 5 for a group that's new to me.

Stuff like Ektomorf I can listen to once and be done with it. I've heard it before, there isn't any depth, etc. Now if I flat out fucking HATE an album, I'll listen to it 3 times just to make sure. Did that with Rwake.

Depends. SOmetimes 1, sometimes 20. It took me a lot of listens to find out that Graveland is one of the best bands on the planet. It took me considerable listens to conclude that "Arcane Sun" is the greatest piece of music ever written and we'd all live in perfect harmony if every human being would listen to it. It took me 1 listen to conclude that Soilwork is wank.

3 times usually. Anymore than that, and I'll likely procrastinate and never get around to it, no matter how good it is.

Depends on whether I've bought the album and/or whether it's by a band I already like. Typically though, probably about 3 times. Most of the albums I like most took me awhile to get into.
I usually listen to things I'm going to review 4 times or more. Although there have been lots of exceptions (one and I'm out)--Ywolf, Even, Thor and Mick Hoffman, etc.

I'm in agreement with J. here. It all depends. I can usually tell if something original or of good substance is going on within the music. Whether it clicks with me or not is a totally different task.

ONCE ... I listen to music to be entertained ... PERIOD! ... NOT to disect it ... NOT to wonder at the musical wankery within ...

If is does not do anything AT ALL for me on the first spin ... buh bye.

BUT ... if I feel there is something ... something ... a feeling in there or something unamed on the first listen that might lurk it's head .... usually a second spin.

I agree with Lurch. I know if I like the CD on the first spin. Even if that meens I know its complicated and know I would like to disect it with further spins. Even then I know if I think its shite and want to use it as a coaster, or headbanging till my eyes fly across the room.

There are exceptions though, of course, there always are.

It really depends. Some albums take years, others I fall in love with from the word go. It seems that albums that grow on me over a long period of time will end up being permanent favourites of mine.

I didn't vote. For me, it depends on many factors. There are those bands who I hear a mere 60 seconds, of three different songs, only one time, and I've heard enough. Typically this happens with the more extreme bands in Metal. I just know there's no way I'm going to ever listen to this, even infrequently. Than there are those bands whose vocals I just don't like. Vocals never grow on me. If I hate the singer, I don't listen. Another factor that determines how much opportunity I afford a CD to win favor with me is, how much it's been hyped by those whose opinions I not only respect, but whose run parallel with my own. For instance, J. and Erik, know their shit, but their tastes and mine are pretty different. Sometimes they hype something to the point where it piques my curiosity, so I'll give it quick a spin, or look for a sound file. However, if say JK, PJ or Dark One hype a Power or Prog CD, I'm going to give it a number of chances to grab me.

I think part of the problem is, there's just so much music out there. If you frequent these boards, as we obviously do, you're going to be flooded with glowing recommendations. And the fact of the matter is, you can't spend all your times looking for music you might like, you need to spend some of it actually listening to the music you already like.

Zod

General Zod said:
And the fact of the matter is, you can't spend all your times looking for music you might like, you need to spend some of it actually listening to the music you already like.

Zod

Welcome to my world. I don't know how many cd's I have where I've said to myself "man, this rules!", only to shelf said cd and listen to the next thing in my collection where I've said to myself, "man, this is really good!", only to shelf that cd, come to this board and see 10 recommendations of bands that all interest me to varying degrees, only to scramble over to The End or wherever to try and track down mp3's, only to be forever distracted from the the two cd's I just listened to and should be listening to again, only to turn off the computer, go to bed and go to work instead of doing what I'd rather be doing and sit at home and listen to cd's all day. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Im pretty much also with J on this. BUt I will say, the true test of whether I like something or not; is the long term, sit on the shelf or on the computer test, where I dont listen to the album for a few months, and then come back to it test. If i find I like it after a few months of not hearing it--it becomes an excellent cd, otherwise, I may never listen to it again.