Do you listen to more or less metal than before?

Although metal hasn't been the larger part of my listening, I am listening to less at the moment, mainly because there isn't anything that is particularly exciting me in the metal genre at the moment. I think I will always listen to my favourite metal albums, but at the moment I am more interested in some more rock and jazz stuff at the moment, and as a result I'm not really checking out much more new metal stuff.

It had to be said, good job Annihilat0r. But seriously...

What can happen sometimes is that once you learn to play a song, it loses the awe and mystery that you felt from it when you heard it before and no longer find it interesting. Or, you can actually be dissapointed that the song was not as hard to play or as complex as you once believed.

How it goes for me;

Powermetal, my brother introduced me to this stuff, and so I started listening to this stuff.
Heavymetal, I was introduced to Iron Maiden, first I thought it was boring but then I fell in love with it.
Progmetal, I heard stuff about this band called "Dream theater" and was curious about it and started listening to them, slowly though.
Melodic deathmetal, I introduced myself to Children of Bodom, and fell in love, doesn't matter if you think it's melodeath or not, I concider it so.
Deathmetal, my friend introduced me to bands such as Carcass, Cannibal Corpse...etc, not my favorite style then, but I like them.
Folk metal, I heard about Korpiklaani, checked out and fell in love.
Blackmetal (the more mainstreamish), I decided to go on and give these "antichristians" a chance and bought albums called Nymphetamine and In Sorte Diaboli, I fell in love with Cradle of Filth, later with Dimmu Borgir too.
Blackmetal, I heard a song of Gorgoroth and fell in love with this very atmospheric style of music.
Progrock, I introduced myself to Yes, fell in love with them.
Folkrock, introduced to Schandmaul, fell in love.
Rap, no, don't get me wrong, I just discovered the "essence" of it, and am able to enjoy the better stuff now.

Quess that's how it's gone so far, and btw. I still listen to all of these styles, I also listen to industrial and some classical stuff, but I don't remember since when...

Rap, no, don't get me wrong, I just discovered the "essence" of it, and am able to enjoy the better stuff now.

I don't know what it is but rap/hip hop and it's "latin incarnation", reggeaton, is something that I have never been able to stand. It just annoys me to no end, it is as if I am allergic to it. The reggeaton in particular with it's view of women as mere sexual objects and vulgar lyrics I find downright repulsive. There are some groups that try to do better with the lyrics but the music is still hideous.

I don't know what it is but rap/hip hop and it's "latin incarnation", reggeaton, is something that I have never been able to stand. It just annoys me to no end, it is as if I am allergic to it. The reggeaton in particular with it's view of women as mere sexual objects and vulgar lyrics I find downright repulsive. There are some groups that try to do better with the lyrics but the music is still hideous.

It is true what you said, but it's listenable etc. when you're having fun with your friends etc. Though I CAN listen to some stuff alone too, if it's even in some way interesting or something.

One artist (finnish) I actually like is this one called "Julma Henri", the music is usually kind of depressing stuff. One song I remember, called "Pohjalla" had kind of really strange piano music and I just can't describe the feel of it, dark, maybe abit scaryish. (and the lyrics were basically about normal life, how empty it actually is etc.)

But yeah, I still do not like rap pretty much at all.

i was a metalhead some years ago but now i'm listening almost everything that's emotional.from trip hop to folk-indie-pop-pagan-prog rock-alternative-electro and sometimes metal

Hmm, cant say my taste for metal is declining in any way. Being a guitarist, I believe that the most interesting guitar music today is metal. While I certainly acknowledge blues/jazz/fusion guitarists for their superior skill, creativity and ability to improvise, it just gets boring for me too quick when there is no distortion and this is why I love opeth also. The balance between clean/dist/overdriven/acoustic enhances all of the mentioned guitars simply due to the fact of the variety. If I would have to make a choice between the four mentioned guitar styles for a whole song, it would most likely be distortion and I guess this kinds of reflects why I still appreciate metal the most, be it pure or unpure. There is just nothing that makes up for the musical bliss when you hear a new riff that is absolutely breathtaking or sends shivers down your spine.

I just had an experience like this when I just heard Hypocrisy last week, the song was called Eraser and it had the particular riff that gives you goosebumps.

I rarely experience this kind of feeling in other genres, while I certainly like a lot of music other than metal and there are of course other music that gives me the same feeling, it is just much more frequent in metal.

I wonder, is there anyone here who was not into metal first but listned to a lot of Jazz/Blues or even Classical and then later expanded to metal and now listens to more metal than those other genres?

We have seen people starting with metal and expanding towards those or similar genres and sort of lossing interest in metal. Has the reverse happened to anyone?