Do you listen to more/less/about the same metal than you did 5 years ago?

Much, much, much less metal. I've always listened to other stuff, but as a whole I'm getting a lot more picky and choosy when it comes to metal, and while I "listen" to metal in the broad sense as in, I'll play a record on Spotify - I I'd probably say about only 25-30% of the stuff I routinely listen to on repeat these days is metal. Most new metal records go in one ear and out the other ear for me.

I also go through phases where there's a genre that I tend to be more into than others depending on my mood, time of the day, time of the year. Sometimes I'll spend 3 months listening to mostly prog rock, whereas now I've been really into pop punk. Last winter was almost exclusively progressive house and dubstep for me.

5 years ago, I was much more "spongey" about metal bands and I'd always find something to absolutely love about tons of new bands, but nowadays I'm getting much more jaded towards metal. To me, alot of these new bands across all subgenres are doing nothing for me. The last time I was super duper excited about metal where I had a "nothing but metal phase" due to being inspired by a new band or scene was around 2007-2009 when Alcest, Fen, Wolves In The Throne Room, and the like were coming out.

I'd say more but the genres have become much more defined. Now I listen to mainly traditional, epic, doom, and power. Where as in years past i was all about death, black and thrash. Over the years ive definitely discovered my true metal love of true metal, and ive discovered so many more bands playing in this vein nowadays too.

Probably about the same, I still have interests in other genres, but things haven't changed much. I can still go from the Beatles, to Zappa, to SRV, to Leprous in one sitting, and one load of the cd changer....

Much more. I haven't been really into music though until the last 10 years of my life though, and it wasn't until 2006 when I started getting into the less mainstream metal, so since then I've been listening to more and more metal, though of various subgenres compared to when I graduated high school (or even college) when it was almost a split between metal and rock/Fiona Apple/Beck.

I'd say a little more this year since the roster came out. There were a bunch of bands I had to come up to speed on. And this forum opened up a bunch of new stuff for me too.

For me, it's about the same. Also, music remains completely situational for me. I listen to Lo-Fi, Jazz and Blues when I'm relaxing, and Metal when driving, at work or at the gym. The biggest difference is, releases get far fewer plays from me, before I move on. I find very few releases can hold my attention for very long.

Except from the time I was a kid til I was through my teens, I have always listened to alot of music in general, that was either heavy, or at least innovative. I probably peaked on metal in the 80s/90s, but still listen to a bunch of it... but that would be mainly new bands I'm always trying to discover. I have no problem if a band is doing a formula like 80s power metal or thrash, just so they do it well. So I keep my mind open to that. I leave plenty of room for metal, psychedelic, blues, jazz/fusion etc. And BTW, anyone who says good music is dying just isn't exploring enough. There are still plenty of small labels (especially in metal) that do a great job of pushing the envelope. And still, to this day, to me there's no rush like discovering a new band who is different, great, talented.

And BTW, anyone who says good music is dying just isn't exploring enough. There are still plenty of small labels (especially in metal) that do a great job of pushing the envelope. And still, to this day, to me there's no rush like discovering a new band who is different, great, talented.

Amen to that.

I think I listen to about the same amount of metal as I did 5 years ago, but since joining HRH I listen to a lot more new albums instead of repeating old favorites. My tastes have shifted a bit. I still like prog and power metal, but it's AOR, traditional metal and '70s heavy rock (or new bands that sound like '70s heavy rock) that float my boat these days.

I listen to Metal exclusively. However, my listening time has decreased dramatically over the last year.
I haven't discovered a new band or bougtht a new album since last year's ProgPower.

Probably less, but not because of a lack of interest. I just don't spend as much time driving/commuting/sitting in one place as I used to. That was my music time, and it seems that I'm more frequently not in a place where I can just chill and listen to the latest metal. When I can, I will throw on the headphones and go for it, like I am right now in a coffee shop.

If anything the metal to music ratio has gone up even higher, since I have really drifted away from traditional prog over this time.

More. Lots more. But five years ago I did not listen to metal at all save for an occasional song by Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.

Since discovering progressive, power and symphonic metal about 3-4 years ago, it has become what I spend 80% or more of my music listening time...and I spend a great deal of time in my car traveling between cities so my opportunities to spend hours indulging my music interests extensive!

I have so much time to spend getting caught up on years of missed releases!

And yes, this will be my first ProgPower. I'll be the fat guy with gray hair wandering around with a dazed look, no doubt!