Do you guys still listen to metal?

JoergieN

Jul 12, 2010
Drøbak, Norway
It's a legitimate question. I still love picking up the guitar and playing and writing new shit, but I rarely listen to it any more. And if I do, it's usually metal from 10-20-30 years ago. I went like 15 solid years where it's all I listened to.

I enjoy playing and mixing metal but when it comes down to listening...I just don't listen to it as much today. I still listen to Deftones quite often though.

I have to admit I've been listening to rock from the 60s and 70s rather than metal. But I guess that's just a phase? I personally can't listen to one genre or subgenre for too long and feel the need to explore other ones but maybe that's just me.

My taste in music has been weird lately. Actually, I haven't really been listening to a lot of music in general. When I'm at my desk or in my car it's mostly podcasts like Joe Rogan. Sometimes at night I'll fire up a bowl, and put some headphones on and listen to some trippy/soothing electronic shit while I try to sleep.

I usually listen to music when I drive, and it's always (or at least 99% of the times) my band's last album or Type O Negative (sometimes it may be another one of my favourite bands, including my other projects as well as bands I've recorded, but it's like the remaining 1% of the times). Anyway it happens from time to time that I check some new metal releases on youtube, I listen to like 20 seconds of a song, if it's crap I just skip and pick another one randomly or (more likely) just go back to my usual stuff, otherwise when it's good (but it's very rare these days) I go check other songs from that band, but it's always a momentary thing, still haven't found a band worth listening in my car, so...

My friends and I talk about this a lot - it's amazing how much metal is ingrained in us. A lot of us have grown up, got married, kids, stopped vices, got all fucken boring and shit. But we love metal as much as ever.

I am 63 years old (not quite, but I feel like it) and I was in the pit at the exodus show last week.

I have the latest Meshuggah in my car CD right now, and the Incantation album Sneap did on my headphones at work right now.

So yeah, safe to say, I am a lost cause, addicted to metal forever.

Go through phases but always come back to metal (also listen to jazz like Coltrane and Mingus and a bit of classical). Last few days I've been enjoying Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster, couple of days before that was Daylight Dies, and some Devin Townsend / SYL amongst it.

First got into metal in 1983 with Screaming for Vengeance, Blizzard of Ozz and Night Ranger!!

Last edited: