How many times do you track stuff?

AndrewB

That Darn Kid
Jul 21, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Guitars - Double track rhythms, and and usually just single track leads. I've tried quad tracking, and I felt like it just made everything muddier and unclear.

Vocals - Entirely depends on what kind of song, and what I'm going for, but most of the time I try to double track every vocal part.

You've answered your question by yourself. It's up to taste. In my case I double track rhythms and single track leads and solos. For vocals I usually track onw low one mid and one high for each part (then I decide what fits better for the part) talking for screams now. Just tracks many takes to have choice and add beef, cool stereo image with shouts etc.

I prefer quad, but in most cases the guitarists I record are not tight enough for it so I go double. Sometimes even do the "Hass effect" with double tracked guitars. Sending the right guitar to the left with delay and the left guitar to the right with delay.

I normally quad track and one fuzzy track to mix with the bass in the center.

Vocals = one track or 2 when it really needs to stand out

double track the guitars most of the time, would love to track someone who is able to play tight
enough for a good quad tracked sound, but I am recording myself most of the time so it will never
happen :D

Most of the time it really depends, for more blues orientated stuff for example, I sometimes record
just one rhythm guitar that is centered with a bit of reverb on it that is hard panned and than some
additional leads that are panned 50% to each side.

But for stuff like modern metal I usually record 2 rhythm tracks, one lead track (if the player is really
tight 2 tracks might work well, too) one bass track and that's it.

Vocals are completly different, going to record hundreds of tracks of vocals if it sounds good.