How metal affects one's outlook on life

Metal didn't make me do anything. It was a great way to burn off a whole bunch of teen angst and I still love listening to it because it's great music when done well, but I'm not going to credit it with changing my life or making me open minded. If anything, being a metalhead made me closed-minded for ages.

Metal made me want to play guitar more.

But for the most part, it has never changed my outlook on life. It helps pump me up when going to the gym, or when riding on a helicopter into Assghanistan a week after 9/11 to cleanse muslim scum.

Metal, and all of it's negative and positives, made me realize how lame most other music is, excluding that hard core 80's pop!

You're wrong. Most people aren't into underground music. That's why it's underground.

people here way overstate the popularity of pop music

we had this activity in a class at college and everybody named their favorite band/song, and I'd say 60-80% of the responses were old school/classic/underground bands/artists. Pop music is extremely unpopular among serious music listeners and there are plenty of those

I obviously went with raining blood - slayer :headbang:

people here way overstate the popularity of pop music

we had this activity in a class at college and everybody named their favorite band/song, and I'd say 60-80% of the responses were old school/classic/underground bands/artists. Pop music is extremely unpopular among serious music listeners and there are plenty of those

I obviously went with raining blood - slayer :headbang:

not to drag this too far off topic. but i really get the feeling people answer that question to look cool. for example, when i was teaching guitar back in japan (american kids on base), i would try to get a feel of what they were into. they would ALWAYS say zepplin, ozzy, the doors, stones... and then once they warmed up to me, they would admit to liking CoF or avenge sevenfold hehe.

i get the impression most people answer with classic rock bands because its safe but still makes them look like aficionados for not choosing britanny spears
~gR~

nice job stereotyping and then posting a whole bunch of ignorant bullshit

Yes i understand that you are ugly and have turned to metal because of it, theres no need to lash out you can tell Ina anything.

Underground music doesn't exist its a myth, if it was so underground i would not of heard of the underground metal bands in other countries but i have, the bands have plenty of fans and get gigs therefore it's not as underground as a hell of alot of things.

Yes i understand that you are ugly and have turned to metal because of it, theres no need to lash out you can tell Ina anything.

Underground music doesn't exist its a myth, if it was so underground i would not of heard of the underground metal bands in other countries but i have, the bands have plenty of fans and get gigs therefore it's not as underground as a hell of alot of things.

Wow...you're an idiot.

I don't think I would be any different even if I didn't listen to metal... I would simply wear other band shirts and own other CDs. The only reason I stumbled across metal was because it sounded better than the other stuff I'd heard and that was reinforced when I found out how much more musically advanced it is over pop, punk, rap, etc.

Metal has kindled my interest in world cultures, particularly black metal and its homage to cultural heritage and ethnic background.

I don't think I would be any different even if I didn't listen to metal... I would simply wear other band shirts and own other CDs. The only reason I stumbled across metal was because it sounded better than the other stuff I'd heard and that was reinforced when I found out how much more musically advanced it is over pop, punk, rap, etc.

Same goes for me too. There is so much variety, its just like so many different kinds of music all under the common label of 'metal'. The diversity attracts me more than anything else.

It has not influenced my way of thinking, outlook on society, etc in any way though.

I got into metal based on my personality and metal did not change me,etc... I am a pessimistic person and look for music based on my views and always have been. I did not get into metal which caused me to make mistakes and be the way I am. I do not listen to metal to give me indentity or connect with other metal listeners. Regardless if you like metal or whatever I do not agree with you so for me metal is not about finding a niche and finding commen ground with people. Metal is about me finding the best music I can and nothing else.

Metal has made me a stronger individual.
I am very straightforward and make honestly brutal statements...sometimes even friends look at me w/ strange face and say "damn dude..you've got a sick and demented mind, but its funny"