How Opeth got their name?

Cama_Zotz

I am a viking. Sometimes.
Jul 3, 2003
Ontario
I don't know if this has been posted before, because I was too lazy to check the 32 pages of my search..

Anyone know where they got their name from? I heard Opeth was named after a city in a Wilbur Smith novel.

Is this true?

narcisco said:
Wilbur Smith. As an adolescent wanking machine I read my first sex scene in a Wilbur Smith novel.
Thanks for sharing :p

I read my first sex scene in a Piers Anthony novel. It was under a tree that was once a boy.

I think his name was John.

chaveta said:
you can't say "how opeth get their name" so he said it right

don't you feel stupid.

haha, owned. anyways, i always thought that "opeth" had something to do with "opus" as in:

o·pus ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps)
n. pl. o·pe·ra (pr-, pr-) or o·pus·es
A creative work, especially a musical composition numbered to designate the order of a composer's works

which would partly describe opeth. maybe im completley wrong though :|

AbsentFriend said:
I read something about Egyptian history and at some point these people had some day of celebration and this was called Opet. Really.

Maybe thats where Mr. Smith got the idea for the city OF the Moon..

you can't say "how opeth get their name" so he said it right

don't you feel stupid.

Well, Mr. Smarty Pants let me break it down for you. I was merely implying he needed changed his verb form, since "got" is obviously not the right one. However, I was under the impression most people passed grade school and didnt need me to correct his entire sentence and could do it on their own(Which should be "How did Opeth get their name")

And no I dont feel stupid and no he did not say it right.

har har,"owned"

You can say it both ways...

"How Opeth got their name?"
"How did Opeth get their name?"

You were saying that I was to replace my Got with your Get, without adding in your Did before Opeth.

Don't you feel stupid?

ensign said:
haha, owned. anyways, i always thought that "opeth" had something to do with "opus" as in:

o·pus ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps)
n. pl. o·pe·ra (pr-, pr-) or o·pus·es
A creative work, especially a musical composition numbered to designate the order of a composer's works

which would partly describe opeth. maybe im completley wrong though :|

My brain is not large enough to prosess that informantion. <falls over>

Whoo! Tri-Post!

Cama_Zotz said:
You can say it both ways...

"How Opeth got their name?"
"How did Opeth get their name?"

You were saying that I was to replace my Got with your Get, without adding in your Did before Opeth.

Don't you feel stupid?

You.Are.Wrong.See my above post.