How to get this guitar sound (The Haunted)

Nah dude, listening to the rEVALVEr guitar tone it's obvious they didn't use it to add any distortion to what a 5150 already has.

I'd be really interested to see how that trick affects the tone in reality.

I was just responding to the idea that the slaved amp acts like a big distortion box. In which case I think more gain isn't really needed.

It appears that the second 5150 is running on the Rhythm channel with no crunch or bright, gain halfway up (fairly clean tone...for a 5150)--bass maxed, mids...all the way off (hard to tell) and treble a bit over half. Presence at 6, resonance at 4?

The first 5150 has the gain at 5, bass all the way up, mids off, and treble on 7 or 8. So, it's basically doing distortion and some EQ-ing and that's about it. Interesting idea---basically the same sort of thing that tons of guys did in the 80s with rack preamps and regular old Marshall heads.

Well regardless of how silly/pointless it seems in theory, as always the end result is all that matters, not how you get there!

...HOWEVER, I happen to hate the tone on Revolver - I find it thin and very nasally :erk: One Kill Wonder though, now THAT is a guitar tone!

I just listened to rEVOLVEr, One Kill Wonder, and my favorite Haunted album, Made Me Do It. rEVOLVEr's guitar sound cuts through WAY better than the other albums in my opinion.

It's a bit thinner, but considering most of the playing is quick chops, and chugs rather than fatter rhythms I'd say it works well.

I've got a 5150II, but unfortunately no 5150. I'll have to try this with the 'ol Tiny Terror.

the tone on rEVOLVEr is good but does anyone know how one could get a tone like One Kill Wonder? Is it just the overall production? It seriously explodes out of the speakers, it's one of the heaviest tones I think I've ever heard. Listen to the song One Kill Wonder and tell me that doesn't rip your face right off your skull. Any ideas anyone? I googled it a while back but I couldn't seem to find anything.

the tone on rEVOLVEr is good but does anyone know how one could get a tone like One Kill Wonder? Is it just the overall production? It seriously explodes out of the speakers, it's one of the heaviest tones I think I've ever heard. Listen to the song One Kill Wonder and tell me that doesn't rip your face right off your skull. Any ideas anyone? I googled it a while back but I couldn't seem to find anything.

Couldn't agree more, that tone is so fucking roaring it's ridiculous, and to me is like 48681768920230948x better than Revolver!

EDIT: Whoops, just realized this is a Necrothread, and I'm repeating myself :D

I gotta say i favour the rEVOLVEr tone...

and that song (all against all) i gotta say i love how present the bass is in that song...

i spent ages researching this album, IMO its one of the best sounding albums in my collection...