how to mix without saturations please!! the real mix.

felipe-x

Dec 7, 2004
santiago, chile
hey there...

here i go:

i know how to " drumagog a drum " and how a bass should be "placed" on that drum and also the guitars and vox and some keyboards...

but after that... when i start to add some plugins+compression+ reverbs.. etc... the saturation beggins....

so anybody plase.. tell me what to do to mix without saturations :(
im tired man...

i use cubase sx ... and i mix with REAL drums

thnks for the help!!

peace.

pd: help with photos+names would be awesome!!

felipe-x said:
hey there...

here i go:

i know how to " drumagog a drum " and how a bass should be "placed" on that drum and also the guitars and vox and some keyboards...

but after that... when i start to add some plugins+compression+ reverbs.. etc... the saturation beggins....

so anybody plase.. tell me what to do to mix without saturations :(
im tired man...

i use cubase sx ... and i mix with REAL drums

thnks for the help!!

peace.

pd: help with photos+names would be awesome!!

Can you post a "saturated" Mix?
Has your PC enough power? how much RAM, CPU, Speed of HDD, Buffersize
Did this happen before? which plugins do you use? newest driver...

need more input...

Jackal_Strain said:
yup. The masterfader should be at zero, so you have to lower the rest of the faders like Brett said to avoid clipping(saturation).

that would mean his entire mix is f***ed and he's gotta start leveling again ;)

in that case, when master (stereo-out) is clipping i'm just lowering the masterfader (as long as it's not too much).
haven't heard any disadvantage in doing that, so far.

LSD-Studio said:
that would mean his entire mix is f***ed and he's gotta start leveling again ;)

in that case, when master (stereo-out) is clipping i'm just lowering the masterfader (as long as it's not too much).
haven't heard any disadvantage in doing that, so far.

hey could you tell me how do you always start your mixes?
-with faders levels- but more deep explination plz?

thnks allot

there is no "always" ;)

i'm working alot with groups, that makes things way easier.

first it's always the drums.

so i'm creating a group for overheads, a group for snare (top, bottom) sometimes 2 snare-groups (reverb) and a group for toms (makes it easier to give them same treatment regarding reverb, etc).

then i group all those to the "mothergrou" --DRUMS.

first i level amd mix within the group from inner to outer.....
means snare top/bottom/reverb tom1-x etc, then i level the groups with the remaining tracks (kick, hihat). doing that i hardly use the solo button, 'cause drums is ONE instrument.

so, now i've got my (ruff) drum mix, and control the drum volume via the drum-group-fader.

same goes for guitars.

example:

rhythm:4tracked, 2xsoldano, 2x recto... 2 times lead, 2times melody or so

create groups: 1.recto, 2.soldano, 3.wall, 4.Lead 5.melody 6.guitars.

send soldano and recto to the acording groups (after panning), so do with lead and melody.

this way you don't have do adjust both rectos for ex when you wanna have them louder, they'll probably get the same treatment anyway. same goes for lead etc.

then i group the groups to groups ;)

means:

1.+2--->3
3--->6
4+5-->6

this way i don't have to pull thousand fader when i decide "all guitars need to be louder" or similar.

same of course for vox.....group: vox, backvox, voxadd etc.

i go crazy with groups ;)

groups.JPG

and that's only guitar and drums, still vox and some guitars missing ;)

i agree LSD. grouping makes life a lot easier. there's always tweaking individual instruments and parts, but like you said, you don't have to pull down a ton of faders to make certain instruments quieter this way.

I dunno how it is with other DAW software but with Ardour (a free DAW software) there is no clipping as long as you stay under 0db with the master bus or in other words as long as you don't send a signal with more than 0db to your soundcard/audio interface! That is coz internally 32bit float is used and there is always headroom over 0db!
This was discussed in another thread... and I think it's common for DAW software... that there's no possibility to clip... not like on a analog console where you have to care that no bus goes over "0db".

That means you just have to take down the master fader!? right?

Noumenon said:
Qustion. Last time I played with Cubase SX you couldn't set the output of a group to the input of another group due to potential feedback (what's stopping you from send group 1 to group 2 and at the same time vice versa?)

yes that's a cubase sucker, you can only send'em in the order you created them...means:

if you create in this order:

grp 1,2,3,4

you cannot send 3-->1 etc.

but you can send 1-->2,3,4

that really sux when you forgot creating a group you need and it messes up your entire routing.

so try to make a track-, mix- and routing-plan before you start.

that's a good advice anyway

oh. so the mastergroups have to be the last ones to be created?

btw. if you have tom bottom too, do you group each tom by itself before it goes to the tom group and then the drum group and then the master group and then the ear group and then the group group? *catches breath* make any sense?

Noumenon said:
btw. if you have tom bottom too, do you group each tom by itself before it goes to the tom group and then the drum group and then the master group and then the ear group and then the group group?

jepp, as i said, i'm a groupie ;)

might also be, that i'm just pairing top/bottom (ctrl+g), so grouping without actually sending to a group, just to be able to change the entire tomx level (top/bottom at the same time)

hm. never understood that part. say you have track1 with the fader at -6dB, track2 at -9dB. you "group" these and when you ride the faders, what happens? if you go down 1dB on track1 will track2 endup on -10dB? Seems wierd considering the dB isn't linear. Or I'm just confusing myself.

EDIT: "group"=pair

Noumenon said:
hm. never understood that part. say you have track1 with the fader at -6dB, track2 at -9dB. you "group" these and when you ride the faders, what happens? if you go down 1dB on track1 will track2 endup on -10dB? Seems wierd considering the dB isn't linear. Or I'm just confusing myself.
no it wont, if you change the fader level of a track that is assigned to a group only that tracks level fade, if you were to change the fader of a group all of the tracks that have been sent to the group will have their faders changed e.g.:

If i sent my kick and snare to Group 1 but pulled the fader for the snare down, the kick fader would stay where it was and so would the group fader, if i was to pull down the group fader, then the levels of the group would change but the faders wont move except for the Group one, its kinda like an input/output config, the individual tracks are the input settings the groups are the output settings, if you already know this im sorry for sounding like a smart ass. :)

edit: if you were to "link" the snare and kick, which is something completely different, then if you were to pull the snare fader down, the kick would follow, not to the same output but it would go down in the same increment as the snare fader did, so if the snare was at -6dB and the kick was at -4dB and you pulled the snare fader down (when they are both linked) by 2dB, the snare would be at -8dB and the kick would be at -6dB.