how to present your band to a....

MOST IMPORTANTLY (especially when dealing with an indie label) - Make it known that you're able to tour...

A year or so ago, I emailed Tony Brummel from Victory about our band, just on a whim, and two hours later got an email back saying something to the affect of "I loved it, I'll have some people contact you in the next couple of days."

We were broke as hell, all had our own apartments and we tried so hard to get them to release our album first because I knew we were the type of band who had the potential to generate word of mouth on the music alone. But they werent having it. With that, we missed out. But now I'm kind glad it didn't work out.

I'm much happier working at a studio being the behind the scenes guy.

Are you saying that Victory set you up with the right people to book a tour before offering a contract? If so that's kinda cool and interesting.

Are you saying that Victory set you up with the right people to book a tour before offering a contract? If so that's kinda cool and interesting.

We didn't get as far as getting "set up" with anybody. They wanted to make sure that we could tour before moving forward. Which at the time of our correspondence, we couldn't without some sort of funding. I really don't know how bands do it. Major labels with nice deals i can understand but even these top indies labels like victory...its like the whole band has to be living with their parents and not have any bills. Which I guess is why they sign so many young acts these days.

We didn't get as far as getting "set up" with anybody. They wanted to make sure that we could tour before moving forward. Which at the time of our correspondence, we couldn't without some sort of funding. I really don't know how bands do it. Major labels with nice deals i can understand but even these top indies labels like victory...its like the whole band has to be living with their parents and not have any bills. Which I guess is why they sign so many young acts these days.

I know it's crazy! I often wonder about this. I wonder if it's worth going all out tour and live like bums when everyone in my band has a professional job and/or degrees.
I think people make it look more rewarding than it may be.

I know it's crazy! I often wonder about this. I wonder if it's worth going all out tour and live like bums when everyone in my band has a professional job and/or degrees.
I think people make it look more rewarding than it may be.

I know right. I'm sure if you bust your ass and like you said, live like bums for a few years, you may (or may not) reap the benefits. The whole thing is a huge crap shoot. Hell, you could get signed, be on tour, have your own merch etc and people may not even take to your music the way the label hoped. It's great to have passion and a dream but it really pains me to see musicians who say "this is the only thing I can do - I'm resting everything on this."