how to present your band to a....

Would you mind unveiling what band this is?

well I didn't want to name drop and act like it was something really kewl to know someone that made it. I just wanted to tell my story. But if you want to know, its Mudvayne. They are from Peoria Illinois. I know everyone here hates them too but oh well. Everytime I have seen them mentioned on here , people have to talk crap like they are better sitting in their moms bedroom wishing they were famous. But that is how they made it.

I'm going to go out on a whim and say it's Chevelle. They just resigned to epic after 3 records, and have been on Ozzfest before. Not millionaires by any stretch... but very successful as far as todays standards go.
Id say they are well off. Lots of money to be made in radio I would imagine. Hence why its so important to sell out and get a radio hit.

well I didn't want to name drop and act like it was something really kewl to know someone that made it. I just wanted to tell my story. But if you want to know, its Mudvayne. They are from Peoria Illinois. I know everyone here hates them too but oh well. Everytime I have seen them mentioned on here , people have to talk crap like they are better sitting in their moms bedroom wishing they were famous. But that is how they made it.

Looks like Wolfeman won that guessing contest.

Anyways, I understand about not name dropped. That is cool how you know them though, they have some good songs.

While they did make it, I doubt that method would work today.

Id say try whatever. Theres no sure method. Sometimes guys just get lucky i suppose. If it was easy everyone would have great record deals. But all you illegal downloaders have ruined it for most people these days. Id say the entertainment lawyer is the closest sure thing though or all these bands no one has ever heard of wouldnt be getting deals.

We are finishing our new album this month and this thread couldn't have come at a better time. We have tried the mass demo submissions and have gotten a few response's from some good sized labels. I think our next step will be the Entertainment Lawyer as that seems to be more beneficial than us sending out hundreds of promo packs at 8 bucks a shot. Promo pacs do work but also they find there way to the round file in most cases. If anyone else has more ideas please chime in..

We simply posted a bulletin at Blabbermouth that we were looking for a label.
Got an e-mail from a Japanese label two days later and we're releasing our debut album in Japan 26/12.

where did you put this bulletin because they only headline bands with deals already or bands with members who used to have deals? Just curious so everyone else can post their info. They want like 5 grand to post your banner at the top for x amount of times.

Haven't really seen this pin pointed in this discussion yet, but most books will tell you to have a Lawyer send your Demo to a Label.

They will throw out all other unsolicited demo's unless usually from a Lawyer.

Asside from that, my old band was being looked at by Road Runner Records By 4 different sources.

We had a Manager of the band Sinch in Philly contact us from the internet exposure.

We had a Road Runner Scout that contacted us after we posted comments about our band on the Soul Fly Website Forum.

We recorded our demo CD at a Studio in Sacramento who apparently was friends with Monte Conner and wanted to give our demo to him.

But the one that really got us connected was a Manager of our friends band in LA who was looking for a new metal band to push.

He got our Demo CD and gave a call to Mike Gitter at Road Runner who then showed us to Monte Conner.

Now each of those is an example of either who you know or putting yourself out there and getting lucky that someone noticed you.

Unfortunately the moment you get label interest, they start telling you what they dont like about your band and what they want to see from you.

Thats when the band members start slitting eachothers throats pointing fingers at who is holding the band back and then someone either quits or gets kicked out and the band either moves forward or dies on the spot.

Work hard and build a hype. Push your band like a $2 whore and if you are as good as you think you are it will happen.

Have your shit together as a band.
Bust your balls on a good "performance" Recording.
Promote.
Network (Bands, Managers, Studios, Lawyers).

...and then when you do finally get signed, prepare to deal with loads of BS and get screwed over left and right...

This is how I imagine it anyway. Are the chances of it happening as good as I think or am I pretty far off? Yeah, yeah I know it depends on the label and how its run and it's at least exposure and experience and could open up more doors, but still...from what I gather, for the most part, getting screwed over comes with the territory. Makes me not want to bother trying.

For Bloodroot -- actually Blabbermouth does post articles about unsigned bands. My own band has been on there 2 or 3 times, and we're not signed. I think the trick is to write the article yourself, and make it sound like the articles that are already on their site -- that way they don't have to do much except copy and paste.
It also helps if your band is somehow associated with something that someone might give a crap about -- like if you have an ex-member of a more well-known group, or if someone known mixed/produced/mastered your CD, that sort of thing...

Haven't really seen this pin pointed in this discussion yet, but most books will tell you to have a Lawyer send your Demo to a Label.

They will throw out all other unsolicited demo's unless usually from a Lawyer.

Asside from that, my old band was being looked at by Road Runner Records By 4 different sources.

We had a Manager of the band Sinch in Philly contact us from the internet exposure.

We had a Road Runner Scout that contacted us after we posted comments about our band on the Soul Fly Website Forum.

We recorded our demo CD at a Studio in Sacramento who apparently was friends with Monte Conner and wanted to give our demo to him.

But the one that really got us connected was a Manager of our friends band in LA who was looking for a new metal band to push.

He got our Demo CD and gave a call to Mike Gitter at Road Runner who then showed us to Monte Conner.

Now each of those is an example of either who you know or putting yourself out there and getting lucky that someone noticed you.

Unfortunately the moment you get label interest, they start telling you what they dont like about your band and what they want to see from you.

Thats when the band members start slitting eachothers throats pointing fingers at who is holding the band back and then someone either quits or gets kicked out and the band either moves forward or dies on the spot.

Work hard and build a hype. Push your band like a $2 whore and if you are as good as you think you are it will happen.

Have your shit together as a band.
Bust your balls on a good "performance" Recording.
Promote.
Network (Bands, Managers, Studios, Lawyers).
well thats pretty much my story and about 4 hundred other guys I know

I hired THE WOLF Attorneys at Law. I'm not a millionaire yet, but I managed to get a record company to pay for neck surgery.

The number one thing is just put out good music,if its that good you wont have to look. As far as I can tell record companies just screw you anyway.If your good, people will want your shit(music,shirts,etc..) sell your own music and make all the money.