How to record direct from Orange Micro Terror?

I was doing the same thing Martijn mentioned for a while and just used impulses afterwards. I liked it, but after a while, I could notice a sort of sizzle in the signal. I'm not sure if the headphone out is adding any artifacts into the signal, and someone else might know the answer there, but YMMV.

Thanks for the information!

For reference I will add in some information I got from Orange customer support in this thread, as reference for others who might look for the same info:
"The valve is in the preamp section of the pedal and is not related to the output power. The output device is a silicon chip. The headphone output includes the sound from the tube but not the sound of speakers as it has no cabsim. The headphone output by itself can sound a bit harsh, just like any amplifier out being recorded without the effect of a speaker being applied. Using the headphone out defeats the output device but is fed from the same point as that output stage. "

Exactly, pair the Orange with a good IR loader/cab sim (ReCabinet is fantastic) and you should be able to dial in whatever you're looking for. You could always EQ some of that sizzle if that's an issue too.

Cognition, thanks for posting that. I was always curious about what exactly gets sent to the headphone out. The only thing I'm wary of is if there is any sort of voltage that also gets sent out since it's meant to drive a set of headphones. Could be the weird stuff I've heard, but still, I think I'm gonna go back to using it.

For the giggles and shits I reamped a little session using my Micro Terror and the Headphones -> Impulse Response method :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/419882/MicroMetal.mp3

OD808 -> Micro Terror -> Focusrite Saffire Pro40 -> IR Loader

(Still pretty darn impressed by an amp that isn't larger then my mom's purse :p)

Also did a quick little miced up version from this little booger using the same clip :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/419882/MicroMetalMICED.mp3

Going into Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12, mics were Audix i5 and Cascade Fathead

Not direct in with impulses, but this was done at my school on some free time.

Joyo Vintage OD->Micro Terror->Blackstar HT-110->Sennheiser e906 slightly off-axis.

I fucking LOVE the micro terror. Might be going back to the impulses method after hearing your clip.

Edit: A couple questions that popped in my head...

1) When you record through the headphone out, what volume are you setting the Micro Terror? Mine's set at 10:30 currently, but I've had it much higher before and just turned the gain down on my 2i2. Just curious where you set yours in that clip.

2) Are you just using a plain 1/4" cable to hook it up? I would think it's a TRS jack, so a 1/4" TRS cable should work, but I've never had any luck(or with a TRS-XLR cable for that matter).

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: A couple questions that popped in my head...

1) When you record through the headphone out, what volume are you setting the Micro Terror? Mine's set at 10:30 currently, but I've had it much higher before and just turned the gain down on my 2i2. Just curious where you set yours in that clip.

2) Are you just using a plain 1/4" cable to hook it up? I would think it's a TRS jack, so a 1/4" TRS cable should work, but I've never had any luck(or with a TRS-XLR cable for that matter).

I guess this question was directed to me? If not, still going to answer it :p

1) I have my volume output pretty high actually, between 2 and 3 o' clock, with the gain on my preamp pretty low. I think it tends to open up a bit more when the volume is pretty high. My gain is maxed out (even with OD808 in front)

2) Yessir! Just a plain TRS cable into my Saffire Pro 40. I do have the Inst. button engaged so it goes in as a line signal (which you should)