How would you describe your original compositions?!

I'd say my original compositions (if I could render them properly) would sound most like Pink Floyd. The metal aspect hasn't really sunk in yet, but I know that if I could play it right, there'd definitely be parts that would get a lot louder. Probably the best comparison, overall, if I were truly doing what I wanted, would be Ayreon (though with other influences...maybe something a bit more bluesy or jazzy in places?).

RR1 Player said:
Me too... :erk:

I wish I could get protools, cubase or anything of decent quality.
The shitty Microsoft GM soundbank that comes with any soundcard is terrible, but you can write great-sounding MIDI music, provided you have a good sample library. And you don't have to spend a fortune, either. If you still want to write MIDI songs AND want good sounds, a plug-in like "Omnisynth" by Sonic Reality or "Plugsound Vol. 6: Global" by Ultimate Sound Bank would do very nicely. Both are somewhere around $80, which is extremely reasonable for a library of high-quality samples.

You'd also need a program that supports VST or DXi plugins, like Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc. Hell, you can pick up Home Studio 2 (that's what I use) by Cakewalk for a hundred bucks, and it's got most of the functionality of a top-of-the-line audio/midi sequencing program. There's a version of Home Studio that's even cheaper than that, too.

My fave band/musician of all time is Accept/Wolf Hoffmann, so I try and get my guitar tone close as I can to his as well as trying to be a riffman like he (though extremely unsuccessful at his level.)
I listen to some oldschool metal, power-metal, prog-metal, thrash and some Southern Rock so I get a little bit of influence from each. Though I have a bit of a shredder and prog mentality, I love basic open chords (but with intricate picking) on acoustic and I try to include as much acoustic guitar in my work as I can without interfering with the aggressiveness of the music.
I am terrible as a riffer, so I write on acoustic using basic open chords and make the progression more intricate just by variating chords and adding stuff in between on electric after a basic rythm has been laid down. I have written probably 50 songs. Six are acoustic, but due to my style and writing technique, I play acoustic 90% of the time. Then again I grew bored with "shredding" (don't send me hate mail.. ha ha) and started focusing more on a "song" approach.

Bryant