How would you describe Katatonia's music

Oh my god people, why wasn't his question answered in one post?

DOOM that's what it is, plain and simple! They used to be doom death, now they are doom. Granted that this one word description of them doesn't even touch the surface of KATATONIA but that is what they are. DOOM KATATONIA style, in their way!

Shogunaut said:
Oh my god people, why wasn't his question answered in one post?

DOOM that's what it is, plain and simple! They used to be doom death, now they are doom. Granted that this one word description of them doesn't even touch the surface of KATATONIA but that is what they are. DOOM KATATONIA style, in their way!

YEAH!!

doom is slow, mournful, heavy = not Katatonia as they are today

they have nothing to do with doom, and they never were doom-death, more of black-doom in DODS and BMD...

FuckinShit said:
doom is slow, mournful, heavy = not Katatonia as they are today

they have nothing to do with doom, and they never were doom-death, more of black-doom in DODS and BMD...

KATATONIA is doom, were always doom, and will always be doom!!! They used to be Black Metal in their first demo, then Doom Black Metal for one album and ep, then Doom Death for one album and ep, and since then they have been doom!!!
That's it, plain and simple! I have ALL their CDs so your not telling me! 'Nuff said!!

Shogunaut said:
KATATONIA is doom, were always doom, and will always be doom!!! They used to be Black Metal in their first demo, then Doom Black Metal for one album and ep, then Doom Death for one album and ep, and since then they have been doom!!!
That's it, plain and simple! I have ALL their CDs so your not telling me! 'Nuff said!!

you didn't said anything. you just repeated your previous post. prove me wrong. i proved my point very much, you didn't.
go to www.doom-metal.com and find out what "Doom" means.

Genres are stupid and cliché. Listen to the music and decide whether or not you like it, don't let genres and categories get in your way. There isn't anything wrong with broad genres, but seriously when you're arguing over whether so-and-so is black, death, doom, or goth metal, then it gets to be ridiculous. They're atmospheric and brilliant. And they're definitely rock or they're definitely metal. That's all that matters. If you want a descriptive term for those who haven't listened to them before, simply try "atmospheric."

Violin said:
Genres are stupid and cliché. Listen to the music and decide whether or not you like it, don't let genres and categories get in your way. There isn't anything wrong with broad genres, but seriously when you're arguing over whether so-and-so is black, death, doom, or goth metal, then it gets to be ridiculous. They're atmospheric and brilliant. And they're definitely rock or they're definitely metal. That's all that matters. If you want a descriptive term for those who haven't listened to them before, simply try "atmospheric."

Egg-zactly! Is it important to label Katatonia, or any other band for that matter, as doom-metal? I mean, yes it is important for people trying to sell their music so they describe it sometimes in lazy-ass ways like "my music is doom-metal. Nuff said." But is it important for the listener to have the music they love and enjoy be labeled a specific brand? I can't see how it's important at all, and it's a waste of energy to argue over it to. Bleh.

@Seventi:
Jonas sings clean on every album since Discouraged Ones till this day. Mikael of Opeth sang/screamed on Brave Murder Day and Sounds of Decay MCD and Jonas growled and howled on Dance of December Souls debut.
@Kyrsorgness:
I agree that the sound of discouraged would be Katatonia style. You see, in labeling these kind of bands(at least trying to) you need to search the specific words, even making them out of their own lyrics.

So the Tool would beshismatic rock , the Gathering what would you be listening to while measuring a planet?, Opeth Serenity painted Death ,In the Woods... Strange in Stereo and Anathema? Let's say the sound of fragile dreams .Or SOMETHING. :)

Violin said:

EvilGenius said:
Egg-zactly! Is it important to label Katatonia, or any other band for that matter, as doom-metal? I mean, yes it is important for people trying to sell their music so they describe it sometimes in lazy-ass ways like "my music is doom-metal. Nuff said." But is it important for the listener to have the music they love and enjoy be labeled a specific brand? I can't see how it's important at all, and it's a waste of energy to argue over it to. Bleh.

My thoughts exactly, I agree with the both of you because that is the way I feel as well, but remember the his questiuon was what does KATATONIA sound like!

"describe it sometimes in lazy-ass ways like 'my music is doom-metal. Nuff said.'" All I'm doing is giving him a general example just like EvilGenius stated. But SOMEONE had to take the post ANAL and start a dumbass war of words!

OracleDeist said:
fuckinshit Dude you have one of the gayest avatars ever you might as well have put an erected penis as your avatar.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

LOL! Oh shit, my stomach hurts!! He's right, as if Fabio wasn't already gay looking someone came and tok his BIG GAY THRONE! "I can't believe it' not BUTT-er"!

Seriously dude, your AVATAR is supreme homo!

FuckinShit said:
you didn't said anything. you just repeated your previous post. prove me wrong. i proved my point very much, you didn't.
go to www.doom-metal.com and find out what "Doom" means.

I fuckin know what DOOM means! I had to repeat myself again because it seems you didn't understand the first time so I had to spell it out for you!

And your avatar is gay! LOL! :)