How would you describe Katatonia's music

seventi

Viva Lonliness!
Mar 8, 2002
The Third Place
Visit site
I'm quite new to Katatonia. Just got to myself a copy yesterday of Viva Emptiness and I must say it's really good. But when listening to it I was wondering how I would describe that kind of music to someone if that person would ask me. I am not much of chategorizing bands, but I'm still curious how you would desribe it.

Any ideas?

just say its good. well very good, no brilliant.

um, you might wanna check some of their influences, i know jeff buckley and that guy they done a cover of on the tonights music single...will oldham or something.

i'd put some of their stuff under heavy rock/metal if theres such a thing, im not really bothered about what theyre classified as really, just as long as they sound good.

First of all, welcome to Katatonia forum.

You know, it is something special being a fan of Katatonia, and concerning the 'term' for describing the music they play...
Well, it's...Katatonia! You just can't call it anything else. I mean, it would be unfair just to call it 'metal', or 'dark metal' or 'heavy alterock' etc.
In Viva Emptiness (and Katatonia albums in general), you can hear so many influences: Slowdive, Pink Floyd, Jeff Buckley, the Cure, Nick Drake, Radiohead, the great feeling of 70s, the Great Doom of the 90s(PL, Anathema, MDB), Portishead, great guitar sound in general...

the same is with bands such as Opeth, Tool, Anathema, the Gathering.
How WOULD you call them? Exactly like they are - Opeth, Tool, Anathema, the Gathering.

Hope I didn't disappoint you, but that's the way it is(or at least the way I see/hear things).

cheerz

First of all just wan't to say that Viva Emptines is so fucking awesome! Much better for every listen I give it. Have almost digested the whole album.

@Discouraged1: Thanx. I agree with you. I would not try to label Opeth if someone ever asked me. They sound so diverse on each album, but as I have not heard any other Katatonia album than the latest I was just curious. The one thing that got me hooked is that the singer has one hell of a clean vocals. Is he singing clean on all albums?

NP: Katatonia - Burn the remembrance

Even if I tried very hard, there really isn't a specific or definite category for them. All their albums have a different feel to them. They just sound so...perfect to me. They're in a category of their own.

Look stop trying to label everything just be thankfull that they make the great brilliant music that they make nobody else sounds like them
(that I know of) so labels arent really necassery just appreciate and stay shut.

@OracleDeist: Man, I really don't care what kind of music Katatonia is labeled as, I was just curious if someone maybe had a description since this was the first time I heard the band, and I still haven't heard their old albums.

@ben4g: Those post are everywhere but here. I am still new to this board!

I call them doom, though they are not really doom anymore (well, there is doom in there, but it's one of many influences now), but it is a basic reference point for the emotion, atmosphere, and melodic approach of the guitars. I think labels are important so that unfamiliar people can have a basic understanding of something, but I'm not so caught up in labels that I need to come up with something that covers every aspect of a band's sound.
So, doom is sufficent, for my purposes :D

Schism said:
I have seen them referred to in a new category "dark metal"
If that helps!

There's already a category under the name "dark metal". Bethlehem, Deinonychus and Cultus Sanguine are some examples of bands playing dark metal. Doom metal with strong black metal influences... ;)

opeth doesn't belong there. i would say melodic death metal for brave murder day are early opeth. now what's with dumb people in opeth forum saying opeth is progressive metal. thats like.... projector by dark tranquillity or something.