Humans and their love of violence

mutantllama

Nov 24, 2005
Maine
The sad part is people watch it and enjoy it. One question that came to my mind is that are we much different from the Romans and other ancient people? I think it is human nature to watch violence and others be abused and killed. Does everyone have a bit of sadism in them?

This is my response to someone who said something about the video where two girls beat another girl in the gmd social forum. What are your thoughts?

Yes, it is interesting how I once felt compelled to watch faces of death footage, and yes i did, and never again. Perhaps we take joy in suffering of others, but shouldnt we be able to curb our passions for these things and put our energy and time towards more productive and generally harmonious endeavors? I personally feel at fault for allowing such harm to take place, and certainly watching unable to help is a further pain.

I've always been repulsed by violence, the sort of aestheticized violence you get in Tarantino movies anyways. I can watch brain surgeries and stuff of course.

Being products of a struggle for existence, I think that humans have an innate capacity for cruelty and violence especially towards those who don't look like us, but I think that it requires a social trigger. I think that most small children have an innate aversion to violence, and I honestly think that many people would have trouble killing their own dinner if they had to.

Could it be that during these times when we take joy in others pain that we block our connection with them as humans? In wars i know the enemy is often referred to not as fellow man, but as something more of a sub-human or creature.

Absolutely. In the American Civil War, a very large percentage of soldiers on both sides fired over their enemies' heads. Compare this with taking Japanese skulls home as trophies, or the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII. In today's armed forces, nobody aims high as the training is so rigorous and intense. That'd be why so many soldiers are mentally scarred when they're expected to return to society.

I'm not afraid to admit that violence is fascinating. I try to resist those urges, since I'm well aware that they're unhealthy, but I do watch violent movies (usually not the goriest though), I've seen a lot of disturbing photos of dead people, I play violent videogames, and I listen to music that describes truly despicable acts of violence. However, I never really have violent urges.

Anyhoo.

I think that people as a whole do have a tendency towards violence for various reasons. As a means of survival, as a means of social dominance, as a means of expression feelings, as a means of getting what you want.

However, I think that today people have been largely pacified by violent media.

We evolved from animal, so of course our nature is just an upgrade of that of an animal. However, humans are a lot more sophisticated and I think that may be some of the problem. An animal doesn't enjoy violence because it acts upon its basic animal impulses. Violence isn't good for an animal, it's just there, and if its impulse is to attack it attacks.
In humans it's different. We do occasionally have these impulses, but due to our advanced brains we overcome ourselves and repress those impulses, those urges. When we can't be violent ourselves even when our basic instincts tell us to, we see violence as fascinating, something to be admired, in a way, because we can't achieve it. I think this is at least one of the reasons that we have always been fascinated with violence.

Can it be argued that man has both animal and human natures?

Well, if humans don't have human natures, who does?

We definitely have some animal nature, but that's kinda been bred out by civilization. I think that people are literally less genetically predisposed to aggression (as a whole, there are certainly exceptions) than they were several thousand years ago. I can't back this with any of those "facts," if you were wondering. I'm going for the truthiness here.

But humans as are cats animals, therefore shouldnt they have the same nature, as in, animalistic goals? Procreation, dominance?

Yet we have something it appears that maybe called human nature. There are those who suggest that some humans seek more monastic lives that go contrary to animal nature, defying the chance for procreation or notions of the ego, which is necessary in my belief to find a mate.

I dont like violence or cruelity to any degree and have never watched any of that sick shit it disgusts me. However I do like stupid movies where ass holes get exterminated. Where Im going with this is I dont think people should confuse violence with survival instincts. We are all decendents of warriors and hunters but today we are not allowed by law to make a stand on our behalf. Yet little more than 60 years ago they had us storming the beaches of Normandy as expendable utilities or worse the unworthy cause that was Vietnam. Theres a big difference between going to war for a worthy cause and throwing people into the Coliseum for entertainment. So there is a instinctive nature for making a stand and the other a sickness, the two should not be confused.

You may call it sickness, but if so it is a sickness that is extremely common and I believe exists to some degree in every single human being. You name the difference between a fight for survival and things such as the Coliseum, but isn't the Coliseum in itself about two men fighting for their on survival?
I'm not saying that I support violence in any way. All I'm saying is that something about it is intriguing to the human mind, because it is something that is not usually a part of our every day lives and something we know is morally wrong for us to do, and people compensate for that by watching violence.

No because the people were throw into the Coliseum for reasons of gory entertainment, protecting ones property or beliefs is a far cry from entertainment. As entertainment it is a sickness and I have no doubt that those that find it great fun would cry like babies if it became their reality.

We all have the capacity to commit violence. The trick is suppressing the urge (then, of course, there's the argument of whether or not we should suppress the urge). We shouldn't be afraid of our infatuation and fascination with violence. It's part of human nature. It's embedded in our minds, and it was born innately within us. To yearn for a state in which violence has no effect on our minds is to reach a state with no opposition, no internal struggle. I don't want that. The real war is within us, and we all have to fight it. Tendencies toward and fascinations with violence aren't something to be ashamed of.

It seems as though Humans always need to find solace in others; whether it be in pain, in suffering,or even in love.They need something to back up there life;there existence, or the meaning of there existence. Same reason so many people follow trends for absolutely no other reason than to be a certain person, and to fit in. Largely, Metalheads even do this.( actually quite largely. The whole satanist thing etc pertains to this)

but pertaining to the love of Violence in Humans:

For example, teenagers carry out acts and thoughts like this due to this whole "Teen Angst" thing.It's cool, its rebelious, etc seem like probable thought that would go through there head.
But all in all, I just usually say to these people,plain and simply

" Would you like that to happen to you"?
This could be a useless piece of an opinion, but so be it.

amusing... not violence itself... just those that applaud it... yet shrink in the corner and cry when it confronts them

seems the great philosophers are tongue tied ?

My whole life I never understood the infatuation people had with gore movies. It seems there is no explaination.

seems the great philosophers are tongue tied ?

My whole life I never understood the infatuation people had with gore movies. It seems there is no explaination.

mystery, surprise, violence, etc. sense-experience inspiring endorphin release... some shit like that, easy evolutionary psychology account...at least for the scientists if not 'the great philosophers'.