Hurricane Sandy

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Anyone else in the NE shitting bricks? I'm really hoping that it recedes back to a tropical storm which is a possibility. I just moved into my new studio and of course its halfway underground. If my shit floods I'm gonna be so mad.

Opinions? How are you preparing? Every super market around here is completely out of bottled water, it's wild.

When is it supposed to hit? We are on alert here in upstate NY, but outside right now it's just an overcast drizzle.

When is it supposed to hit? We are on alert here in upstate NY, but outside right now it's just an overcast drizzle.

It's supposed to be Monday into Tuesday. You would think a fucking bomb is going off then. Every food store is out of stock on bottled water and it took my boss 45 minutes just to get gas this morning

Damn, I feel sorry for you guys, I fucking hate turbulent weather, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for those that have to commute to work, or people who have semi-long distance relationships (my gf lives 1 hour away), must be terrible, I'm so lucky to live in cali, even when it rains and thunders here I absolutely hate it. You guys are some tough cookies, hang in there.

i'm calling overblown media bluff on this one. this shit's gonna end up just like that one episode of it's always sunny in philadelphia...with most places getting 2 in. of rain and a few wind gusts

I'm flying straight into Newark tomorrow morning. Not worried about dying or anything I just hate being in transit if shit gets delayed.

I liked the comment to your post on facebook

hmmm it just occurred to me that I will be landing in Newark tomorrow at noon.
Am I meeting this bitch called Sandy there and should I be worried?

She's been a total bitch, she's always wet. Not in a good way.

I srsly ROFL'd

regardless though, fuck hurricanes, glad I don't live in hurricane and tornado territory anymore. Good luck to you guys that still live there, hope it isn't too bad.

I'm not too worried tbh, I'm in Rhode Island. I think it's supposed to be around here by monday.

I'm flying straight into Newark tomorrow morning. Not worried about dying or anything I just hate being in transit if shit gets delayed.

Yeah nothing to be worried about, no plane in the world ever is even authorized to land if weather is too shit (legal requirement), and before it takes off it has all the fuel to divert to a safe airport as a minimum, and even at least two if weather at destination is forecast not enough to land (legal requirement), and a captain would always take another 1 or 2 hours extra on top of that just to at least try a few times or have comfortable margin to take time into taking a decision (legal possibility and common sense). You just cannot be stuck in the air with no possibility unless an apocalypse started while you were in the air
Anyway, I'm so glad I live in western europe, where there is no tornado, hurricane, no earthquake, nothing !

I'm more prepared this year here in north east Connecticut - have plenty of water, non-perishable food, flashlights, wood for the wood stove for cooking if needed - much more ready for this one than Irene/then the October snowstorm last year. In both cases last year we were without power for 5-7 days - here's to hoping my preparedness will result in me just having the stuff and not having to use it.

The news is saying we won't be getting a lot of rain out of Sandy since were more on the windy side of it - 50 - 70 mph sustained gusts, however my wife and I both work down on the shore of Long Island Sound so we'll have to see if our employers have issues with the expected storm surge in the coastal communities.

I'm not too worried tbh, I'm in Rhode Island. I think it's supposed to be around here by monday.

I'm supposed to be driving into Warwick to take the GMAT on Monday, there's a good chance that'll be canceled/postponed and the testing center closed down. On the one hand, that'd give me more study time, on the other hand, I just want to get it over and done with.

I'm less than 2mi from the water here on the south coast of MA, so I'm technically in a flood zone. I don't think flooding will be an issue, but if it is, I'm screwed since I own a split level with no basement.

The wind is more of a concern for me, since I work for a telecom company. Downed lines and power outages mean pissed off customers with no phones or Internet service, so this week might mean I buy stock in Advil due to the amount I'll probably be taking :erk:

Oh. Bro, you don't need to worry about the hurricane.

Newark, NJ is a shithole.

And if I remember correctly, it is labelled as one of the "murder capitals" of the states....

Hurricanes are fun! I love walking through knee deep shit water in the street. And can we talk about power outage? That shit's awesome! Days or weeks with no damn AC or even a warm shower.

Just do what I do, drink all day and night till it's over.

Good Luck.

Oh. Bro, you don't need to worry about the hurricane.

Newark, NJ is a shithole.

And if I remember correctly, it is labelled as one of the "murder capitals" of the states....

Newark is a fun place full of magic and wonder. But yeah Newark is the asshole of New Jersey. The airport isn't bad and you don't go through Newark at all the get onto the major highways, but don't get lost. I have had multiple friends ripped out of their cars grand theft auto style and carjacked. It's wild