Hurricane Sandy

So apparently the storm has been "upgraded"....85 mph winds and I guess the worst is coming tonight/overnight/early am here....?!??!

Maryland and NJ will slow it down for us Pennsyltuckians. :lol:

All kidding aside though, hope everyone is safe. This does look pretty brutal.

Yeah things are picking up a bit here in the VA/DC area so far it has just been a consistent downpour. Not sure if it will get much worse but the problem will probably be that everything will be so saturated that shit just floods.

On the other hand I have the day off so this is perfect weather to sit at home and get drunk too.

Hardly any rain here in NE Connecticut but the winds have really picked up. Governor closing all state highways at 1:00pm today - seems many businesses that decided to open today will have to be letting employees out early. Gov's on the TV now saying that he understands that it's almost unenforceable since people need to get home, but the main worry is commercial trucking - he wants them off the roads ASAP.

i remember when the 2011 halloween nor'easter hit CT; we were without power for close to a week. honestly, i don't think this'll be as bad in that regard, but who the fuck knows. i'm charging up the field recorder while we still have power; should power go out, recording shit should still be a possiblilty

The power goes down, the power comes up - wash, rinse, repeat about 7 times over the past 2 hours. Local utility has my town at 80 percent down but my street seems to be holding out (I can't imagine for long).

The beer is cold, the laptop, cell phone, tablet, and spare batteries are all charged. Now it's just a matter of casting my electrical fate to the luck of a draw.

So here's my front yard right now...
treeinyard.jpg

Took out the molding and gutters on my garage roof, but that should be easily repairable. The top part of the tree is still up on the roof, I wasn't about to go up there in this wind.

I'm supposed to be driving into Warwick to take the GMAT on Monday, there's a good chance that'll be canceled/postponed and the testing center closed down. On the one hand, that'd give me more study time, on the other hand, I just want to get it over and done with.

I'm less than 2mi from the water here on the south coast of MA, so I'm technically in a flood zone. I don't think flooding will be an issue, but if it is, I'm screwed since I own a split level with no basement.

The wind is more of a concern for me, since I work for a telecom company. Downed lines and power outages mean pissed off customers with no phones or Internet service, so this week might mean I buy stock in Advil due to the amount I'll probably be taking :erk:

Sorry to hear that :/ Hopefully it doesn't get too TOO bad.

So here is a little update. Power is out everywhere, huge trees are down all over the neighborhood, there has been nothing but police and fire sirens for the past 5 hours and it only just started to pick up. Hopefully my studio has power in the morning, I'm gonna recede there for all of tomorrow. How is everyone else? Sorry for typos, posting on my phone is ridiculous

Damn guys, good luck. From the looks of that photo Russ, looks like this storm is nothing to take lightly.

finally over!

that was the worst storm prolonged storm i can remember in my lifetime here. a few years ago there was a really strong but very very short microcellthingamjig storm that ripped a narrow path through nyc (not manhattan) which was more like a tornado type thing but other than that this one was, unlike irene last year, a real deal storm. a few times i thought my windows we're gonna pop. there was a good 20 minute period of sustained intense house shaking.

interestingly enough it barely rained just really strong wind and in more coastal areas (thankfully not be me) there was a ton of flooding.

a quick glance out the window and my block looks like a forrest now with horizontally lined trees.

Are you saying it's completely died down now? Living so far away it's hard to gauge a timeline - but I was under the impression that it just started and was going to set in for quite some time due to its size.

Things have died down here in MA, we had some heavy rain overnight but there's no new damage that I can tell (so far). We lost power for about 2 hours yesterday, but that was it. Thankfully, my 4 hour test in RI was cancelled, and after what happened with the tree at my place, I'm glad I was here because my kids were absolutely scared out of their minds.

A bunch of neighborhoods a few minutes from me were evacuated due to the storm surge since they're right on the water, after seeing some pics last night people shared on FB I'm glad they evacuated when they did. Everything's a mess.

I have friends in NY and NJ who have major flooding, one took a pic of a flight of stairs in his apartment building that's completely submerged, and another is stuck in his 2nd floor apartment because the entire building is surrounded by water. And he's pretty far inland in NJ, too.

Hope everyone's safe.

yeah it lasted like 6 or 7 hours at it's peak. it's been raining and windy for a few days now and continues to be now but the really bad part lasted from yesterday late afternoon until overnight. driving around today trees fallen all over the place and a lot of wind damage all over. luckily i live on the north coast so there was no flooding but all of southern shore (facing the atlantic ocean) of new york city and surrounding areas are completely flooded. a lot of them even until now. my studio has no power but i was able to get in there with candles and jam out with some people unplugged. the mandolin i bartered from someone last year came into real good use lol.

somehow my house has power despite patches of outings and flickering but most of the rest of my neighborhood is all out. friends stuck in manhattan as all bridges and tunnels were closed for most of the day. freaky stuff!

here's some photos http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hurricane_sandy_NQrn9ilWCV5Q3KOH5H3lSI

Just got my power back here in North Eastern Connecticut at about noon today. Thankfully it seems to be pretty consistent this time, had a bit of a tease last evening about 7:00 or so when the power came on for 15 minutes but then went out again when a Transformer a mile or so away from us took a digger after being energized.

My wife and I both work down in the Groton CT area, down by the coast. My company closed the campus for Monday and Tuesday but her's was open yesterday - while her trip in was pretty uneventful, it took her three hours to get home last night because of road closures that were not there in the morning when she went through.

Hope others that still have outages get their power back soon. Also hope any damage was minimal.