Hypocrites?

Owen there is a difference between you and people who can be influenced consciously or subconsciously by movies.

I hope you are not saying that seeing a cool, likeable hero solve his problems with a gun instead of with a prayer and some gentelmanly talk with his enemy will not have any effect on any movie consumer.

I change my mind. Media can influence you to think bad things. For instance... your posts Mutant - make me want to rape you in the face whilst wearing a used condom.

Seriously if for example you are strongly against abortion and some feminist group approaches you and offers 10000$ for making a soundrack or (whatever other contribution) for their movie with a strong pro abortion message, if you accept the job and still think that you are not a hypocrite... then i don't know if it is possible for me to explain to you what is and what is not hypocrisy.

Seriously if for example you are strongly against abortion and some feminist group approaches you and offers 10000$ for making a soundrack or (whatever other contribution) for their movie with a strong pro abortion message, if you accept the job and still think that you are not a hypocrite... then i don't know if it is possible for me to explain to you what is and what is not hypocrisy.

Well in that situation you're way fucked before the Feminazi's come along. Being strongly against abortion is more retarded than being a gun-control celebrity.

So I can say eating meat is terrible and you shouldn't do it, do a PSA/commercial to further said beliefs and then do a movie where I play a USDA inspector in a slaughter house because it's not real?

Good to know the double standard is still ok around here. :lol:

In before my example is "not the same thing."

:ill:
So I can say eating meat is terrible and you shouldn't do it, do a PSA/commercial to further said beliefs and then do a movie where I play a USDA inspector in a slaughter house because it's not real?

We've all been inside your mother spraying our man-made UHU glue up her walls.

Facepalm...
It is not that they have the same views as all the movie characters they played.
It is their lack of objections against working on creating highly violent content vs their pro gun control message in that ad.
Which is a prime example of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

LOL it seems you facepalmed a bit too hard right there .
It's even in the wikipedia link you kindly provided, AND you wrote it in your post yourself.

"Hypocrisy is the state of promoting or administering virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have and is also guilty of violating"

Since you play a role in a movie, how do the virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc. of that fictive person conflict with your personal virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc. (maybe exept if you play yourself in that movie)?
I'll tell you: not at all.

Nobody would make a stupid clip like the one in the OP, if Bruno Ganz (guy who played hitler in downfall) took part in an official promo spot about how terrible the actions of the nazis in WWII were.
Yet people bitch about this clip, because it is anti-gun, and that, to me, is hypocritical and a double standard.

But since you seem to think, that every (action)movie isn't aimed to entertain but to preach:
Owen there is a difference between you and people who can be influenced consciously or subconsciously by movies.

I hope you are not saying that seeing a cool, likeable hero solve his problems with a gun instead of with a prayer and some gentelmanly talk with his enemy will not have any effect on any movie consumer.

Not enough effect to cause such drastic reactions. At least if you're a sane "normal" (whatever that means) person, that can destinquish between fiction and real life. If everyone would be affected in the way you're implying, then earth population would be close to zero by now, judging the revenues of all action movies.
But both Carlos and Drew pointed that out allready.

Someone will always take something from a movie, be it inspiration, motivation or such, quite the same as sports can do, but I think that's more on a level of personal attitude, rather than dictating people how to behave. Your parents should do that, not the Tv/movies. If someone acts that way, then we're talking about a whole other problem here (neglecting children).

That would make you a hypocrite indeed, or maybe more a greedy little spineless worm who'd also sell his grandma. (dunno if the allegory only works in german though).
Writing a book/movie set in a pro-abortion group?
Not at all.

I don't see the problem with this either. There is nothing hypocritical about the concept of playing a fictional character who's life and beliefs contrast with your own. The alternative is the Clooney where every character you play is loaded with your own political agenda.

Ehhh... I dunno about the neglecting children part. Kids love fucked up shit. I watched a dude get his spinal column ripped out in Predator when I was 6 or 7. My mum sat next to me the entire time, explaining how they did the various blood effects and what not.

I've turned out mostly fine.o_O

Emotions emotions emotions :lol:
LoL i dont know if i should put it in my sig...

Nah it is just too twisted and filthy. :yuk:

Oh please please please, shut it

I know the world can probably handle your endless wisdom and knowledge of anything and everything, but it's starting to get on my nerves a lot lately ;/

Since you play a role in a movie, how do the virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc. of that fictive person conflict with your personal virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc. (maybe exept if you play yourself in that movie)?
I'll tell you: not at all.
Of course not at all.
As i already said many times here, it is about their real participation in projects that show the cool side of firearms, not about the fictional content of these works.

Nobody would make a stupid clip like the one in the OP, if Bruno Ganz (guy who played hitler in downfall) took part in an official promo spot about how terrible the actions of the nazis in WWII were.
Yet people bitch about this clip, because it is anti-gun, and that, to me, is hypocritical and a double standard.
The Downfall was not a glorification of Hitler or nazis, the makers of this movie didn't show them as cool guys every youngster would want to copy.

But since you seem to think, that every (action)movie isn't aimed to entertain but to preach:
Twisting and overblowing your debate opponents words is not a good tactic.

Not enough effect to cause such drastic reactions. At least if you're a sane "normal" (whatever that means) person, that can destinquish between fiction and real life. If everyone would be affected in the way you're implying, then earth population would be close to zero by now, judging the revenues of all action movies.
But both Carlos and Drew pointed that out allready.

Someone will always take something from a movie, be it inspiration, motivation or such, quite the same as sports can do, but I think that's more on a level of personal attitude, rather than dictating people how to behave. Your parents should do that, not the Tv/movies. If someone acts that way, then we're talking about a whole other problem here (neglecting children).
Did you see The Expendables ?
One thing that they decided was necessary for increasing the "fun", "coolness" factor was one of our heroes using explosive shotgun shells to literally blow people to bits.
I think you can imagine how a young stupid male reacts to seeing things like that.
"Whoooah his stomach exploded ! Hahahaha i want that weapon ! This is the best movie ever !"
Again it is not directly promoting or preaching, it is showing the "cool guys" using the "cool weapons" to do "awesome things".
And yes - a normal, adult, sane person will not be affected at all, sad thing is that the world population is not made 100% of such people.

Oh please please please, shut it

I know the world can probably handle your endless wisdom and knowledge of anything and everything, but it's starting to get on my nerves a lot lately ;/
Relax :) It is just Internet.
This forum has an ignore user function - i don't use it, but you can always put me on your list.

The Downfall was not a glorification of Hitler or nazis, the makers of this movie didn't show them as cool guys every youngster would want to copy.

Dude, I know you're smart. You seem to be anyway. But I don't think you understand what glorification actually is.

It isn't about making things seem cool and hip, and giving role models to kids so they can copy. Kids could choose to copy even the most bland characters - in fact they often do.

Glorification relates to exalting something or someone above its natural status. It also has pretty hefty religious connotations.

Your interpretation of it is pretty damn simplistic.

OK i'll look it up then. :)

[edit]
Well what do you know ! In english it indeed has slightly different meanings than in polish:

glorification

The act of glorifying or the state of being glorified.
The worshiping of a deity; extolment or laudation.
The portrayal of something as being ideal; idealization.

gloryfikacja, wysławianie, wychwalanie jakiejś osoby, jej czynów, jakichś idei itp.»

Google translated to:

glorification, praise, praise a person, his acts, some ideas, etc.

And maybe if i did put "and" instead of a comma between "nazis, the" it would be clearer that i meant these two as not the same.

I think what I would say is that the logicality of the argument of "glorification of violence" is the same logicality that censorship groups all around the world use. For this reason I am suspicious of the logic behind the OP's video.

In my opinion, movies - yes even extremely violent ones - don't glorify violence or guns in the simplistic way that these groups (and the OP's video) wants you to think. It's much more complex than that.