i am an opeth newbie..please help me

i am kinda a newbie with opeth too, me friend told me to listen to them, so i did and i made a mistake, and for my first cd i bought Damnation, so when i bought me next cd Deliverance i was surprised, and i really didnt like the screaming, until i listened to the second song Deliverance i loved it, and now Opeth is my favorite band, and probobly always will be

Rose Immortal said:
And just because someone doesn't want to be a part of that particular audience (in this case Christian death-metal) doesn't mean they should tell those bands they don't have a place in metal...the solution is simple: if you don't like it, don't listen to it and don't buy it.

Exactly. Music is an expression of one (or a band's) person's feelings, emotions, beliefs, etc.

Don't like it, don't listen.

ChrisEmerson said:
hmm i got into in flames first (my first death metal band - before they got shit), and that band is what got me used to death vox. Listening to opeth was no big deal after that, i liked a lot of death metal bands before that.
actually i lied. the first death metal song i liked was Thyrfing - Dryckeskvade. Although i guess thats black metal. its still got growly vocals.

Mike's vocals are incredible whether you like growls or not. Most "death" vocals are terrible. Mike deserves alot of credit. he gets it from the death metal community of course but he should get it from everywhere. ie: Yngwie bores the shit out of me, but he sure is a good guitarist........

dorian gray said:
Mike's vocals are incredible whether you like growls or not. Most "death" vocals are terrible. Mike deserves alot of credit. he gets it from the death metal community of course but he should get it from everywhere. ie: Yngwie bores the shit out of me, but he sure is a good guitarist........

I do not think Mikael Akerfeldt gets as much credit as he deserves. I mean he's more than incredible. Most people can't growl then sing off an on like he did in concert (in Houston, so if he didn't do that well when you saw him shuv it), and he's a great composer/song writer. If you are scarred off by the vocals from Opeth then I'd recomend treatment by listening to nothing but 'Blackwater Park' all day. Like many other Opeth was my first heavier than 80's thrash metal band, didn't like the growls, etc.. and I listened to BWP none stop because the music is so damn good. That really made me enjoy the growls.

I only listen to Yngwie for the solos. He makes the most boring/cheesiest music ever, but he has some great guitar parts.

Too you I'd reccomend Porcupine Tree, they have brilliant instrumentation, great songs, and no growls, plus M. Akerfeldt is on the upcomming album.

wow, this thread is all over the place...
anyway, i too was somewhat put off by the growlies, but now i like them. it was the musical sophistication of Opeth that kept me listening and also amazement that M.A. could sing so damn well in addition to growling.
honestly, i still have no clue what the lyrics are to most of the songs. i read the liners a few times, but not at the same time as listening since i do that in my car mostly. but none of what i read was in the least bit off-putting...there's a difference between "evil" and "dark." Opeth, for me, is the latter.
(hi rose!)

koolboee cdmo87 said:
The only times that the growls bothered me at first were the really shrill ones on Orchid and Morningrise.
Shrill? They're just delivered more powerfully, not as gutteral. You want shrill, listen to Mayhem with Maniac on vocals.

mysweetdeath said:
Exactly. Music is an expression of one (or a band's) person's feelings, emotions, beliefs, etc.

Don't like it, don't listen.
Yeah. And also, if you don't like it, don't bitch about it. It is called musical taste.

dorian gray said:
I agree.

koolboee cdmo87 said:
The only times that the growls bothered me at first were the really shrill ones on Orchid and Morningrise.
Iam not wure what you mean my shrill, but the vocal styles on Morningrise aren't as good, I think atleast, as the styles put out on all of the other albums. But I wouldn't go as far as saying they were bad, because they weren't at all.

Apprentice's Master said:
Listen to more Death metal and you'll get used to it. Or you can just listen to Opeth and get used to it. Either way, get used to it.

I can't imagine Opeth without growls anymore. Well...actually I can...Damnation. Meh.

I cant [or couldn't] stand "Death Metal screams" (as I called them) but the more I listen to it the more it seems to fit in. I generally go for most anything with clear lyrics, but you can actually understand the songs.

sorry for bumping this thread but it really is for an Opeth-noob like me :D

the growls.. well, i agree with some people when they say Opeth is a perfect balance of beauty & brutality.

fuck those critics who say they aren't playing real death metal or whatever. these guys play the music they wanna play and i respect that. :worship:

im looking forward to getting a few more albums.