i am an opeth newbie..please help me

Listen to nevermore, good riffs, good metal, clean singing,

or some blind guardian, and iced earth

you should liek them coz you are into dream theater which is similiar to those vocals

i didnt liek growls at first, you will get into em

whats wrong with being demonic

at least there not religious

Death metal growls just isn't for everyone. If you can't get past it, there's nothing wrong in sticking with bands like Metallica, Nevermore and Iced Earth.

The band that introdused me to the death metal scene was Dark Tranquillity. Both the Haven and Projector albums are quality releases that may serve as a nice introduction to the growls.

yeah, new guy, the growls have nothing to do with religion, cus there are plenty of christian death metal bands out there, i have listened to death metal for a while now, several years, i have always liked the vox, they fascinated me from the first time i heard them, cus i was like, how the shit do they do that, and yeah, opeth came after more brutal metal, the likes of cannibal corpse, morbid angel, nile, the black dahlia murder, stuff like that, i didnt like opeth at first cus of the song length, cus i was more into the fast 3 minute songs of cannibal corpse.

and demon ethereal, what the fuck does a bands religion have to do with metal, if there can be satanic metal bands, pagan metal bands, atheist metal bands, why not christian, the music can be just as good, the lyrics are just a little less brutal

I'd recommend listening to the "Gothenburg" stlyle bands:

-Soilwork
-In Flames
-Arch Enemy (I was bloody suprised it was a woman singing)

Or you cna just do what I did and download about 500 mp3s of really extreme bands and listen to them all in a row every day for 5 weeks. You should have gotten used to death vocals by then :Spin:

nemzy said:
when he growls..it makes opeth sound demonic....is this a demoinc band??
Yeah, it is a demonic band, and Mr. Åkerfeldt is a demon. If you don't like it, forget it...
Ah, yeah, you may try also "Damnation"... It's totally demonless.

nemzy said:
can any1 explain to me opeth's history? thanks
Yep, here you are: Death.

Well, all I can say is oh well. That's what Opeth is, a lot of metal, a lot of prog, and there's gonna be growls... so if you don't like the growls then don't listen to Opeth or any other band that growls for that matter... Opeth opened my eyes to underground metal so let it do the same for you....

Who cares if they're demonic, which they aren't but if they were they still have great music so who cares.

I'm a young'un (17), but I got into mainstream stuff like Rammstein, Slipknot and korn etc. when I was 12. (please forgive me btw, I'm over it now... Rammstein still rock though \m/) By 14 I was into Cannibal Corpse & Deicide and around that time I saw the light of Opeth so I think it really does help listening to more standard deathmetal before Opeth to really appreciate it...

MoonRaven said:
and demon ethereal, what the fuck does a bands religion have to do with metal, if there can be satanic metal bands, pagan metal bands, atheist metal bands, why not christian, the music can be just as good, the lyrics are just a little less brutal

Well stated, MoonRaven.

What's more, any band's got a right to put whatever they want in their lyrics, even if somebody disapproves of it for whatever reason. None of us are obligated to buy it. There are some bands that I would never buy CDs from due to lyrics--but I am not about to tell them they can't write it, because they have every right to. I don't even list the bands I wouldn't buy because just the same as I don't think its right to tell them what they can and can't write, I'm not about to tell people what they should and shouldn't listen to. It's their decision to make.

About Christian death-metal bands, I am very certain there is an audience for that. Especially given the nature of music--you can like the sound of a certain kind of music regardless of what belief you are, so should it be so surprising that there have been Christians who got the idea to work with a form of music that may have been appealing to their ears? And just because someone doesn't want to be a part of that particular audience (in this case Christian death-metal) doesn't mean they should tell those bands they don't have a place in metal...the solution is simple: if you don't like it, don't listen to it and don't buy it.

Well, I wouldn't buy music from some bands because of their lyrics, but not due to the fact that the lyrics are evil, I like evil lyrics. I wouldn't buy a Slipknot album, but they also have bad music. People should look beyond the black and white of life, if the lyrics are "evil" see why and what meaning it has. Don't just say, "they said the devil so they are bad". Be intelligent and look beyond the black and white

ethereallights said:
Well, I wouldn't buy music from some bands because of their lyrics, but not due to the fact that the lyrics are evil, I like evil lyrics. I wouldn't buy a Slipknot album, but they also have bad music. People should look beyond the black and white of life, if the lyrics are "evil" see why and what meaning it has. Don't just say, "they said the devil so they are bad". Be intelligent and look beyond the black and white

Actually, I do enjoy full lyrical analyses, and I don't agree with the ideology of all the music I listen to, believe it or not. The primary thing I'm interested in is whether the writer(s) can express themselves in ways that are original, thought-provoking, and powerful. I don't care for writers who put no thought or effort into what they create. As for content, I am not content just to stay with the "surface" layer; I don't think that does one any good. Beyond that, though, I do have my preferences for which I make no apology and will go into no further detail except to say that lyrically I think quite highly of Opeth, and that's one of my reasons for being here.

Opeth/In Flames were my first...I got a few recommendations from some people on the metallica forum...so I got In Flames' Bullet Ride and Opeth's Blackwater Park. Opeth's harsher vocals and longer songs really turned me off, and I deleted BWP, Bullet Ride however, was a lot catchier and I put up with the vox...a few months later I decided to check out opeth again...and I downloaded A Fair Judgement. No growling in there...and it really got me into Opeth's music. Few weeks later I downloaded some Damnation stuff and went out and bought it, couple weeks later got Deliverance, and a little after that I got BWP. I must say once you get used to it their heavy stuff is a lot better than their light.

Definiitly check out Iced Earth. Go pick up "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
IM sure some do, but you bring up a good point here. It seems for some reason Opeth is often the first semi-brutal sounding band many people have heard. Now i understand Opeth is getting more popular, but its odd that people can introduce them to Opeth and have the heaviness be that mind blowing to some people. I myself had liked a lot of extreme stuff before i got into Opeth, mainly bands like Bathory, Venom, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Emperor, Deicide, Burzum, Ulver, etc...so it was nothing new to me, all i knew was that Mikael had some of the best growls i had heard up till then. I was quite pleased with the dynamics the band had, and am quite sure that was the main draw for me initially.

Speaking for myself here, id heard some more brutal stuff like Emperor before Opeth, but it just sounded messy and rubbish. It sounded like "lets all make as much racket as possible in one go". So i get turned off really heavy. Remembering here that i was into straight heavy metal. When i heard Opeth, yes it was heavy, but there was the melody element and so on, and that helped me to become more accustomed to heavier stuff, and enjoy listening to it more.

I think most people come from the less heavy side for the same sort of reasons Metallica is the first metal band for lots of people, theres that X factor they have that makes them appealing.

But i still cant stand Emperor or anything like that. Yuk.

ShroudOfDusk said:
I still dont get the dislike for growls thing. It seems like everyone hates them 'at first' it's the story of this bands life. Doesnt anyone listen to brutal death before finding Opeth?
Yes. I have been into death metal for a few years now. Suffocation was the band that got me into it. I enjoy a lot of death metal now.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
listen to it more. The reason why Opeth is good is because they have a complete balance of brutality and beauty. Without the growling, it wouldn't be Opeth. You may say, what about Damnation? Damnation is a softer side of Opeth and Mikael said he mightn't be doing that type of thing anymore. The dynamics make Opeth who they are.
VERY well put. I agree.

Like the trend goes, Opeth was my first venture into extreme metal. The growls did turn me off at first, just because of the fact that I wasn't familiar or comfortable with the convention of growls in music. I wasn't conditioned to listen to growls and shrieks in music. A few months later, however, it was just another normal part of music. In fact, I now view growls as necessary when listening to extreme metal. I mean, there wouldn't be death and black metal without growls.