I am looking for bands similar to Amon Amarth.

This is the most similar band that I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seawolves want to be Amon Amarth very badly. But they are not. Not even close. But they want so badly...if only they could drop the gay jollyfolk shit.

**youtube video - wont include this in quote to save space**

This one is alright. Poor vocals. Musically, this is stuff that AA would play, but structure-wise they're not there yet.

I kinda like this band , the only bad thing is that I can't find lyrics anywhere? Anyone have them? I might be able to do an in-depth search for them but I'm overloaded atm.

I felt like this Thread needed a push again because I think it is pretty useful. So I recommend another band to you which is one of my favourites these days: Agrypnie
They're definately not sounding like Amon Amarth but they're fucking good :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
No band is similar to Amon....none.........NONEZ I TELL YOU! Now go watch Anime!! :rofl:

I have searched high and low for a long time to find another band like Amon Amarth. After an extensive search I have come to a very concrete, singular conclusion. The is NO other band like Amon Amarth. And here is why.

1. Continuity - Amon Amarth has had the same lineup since 1998. 15 years. It helps to know your bandmates and be able to work together and leave each other alone when necessary.
2. Style - Name another Death Metal band who uses so much Tremolo picking and do it anywhere near as well as AA! They have a very distinct sound and approach to their music that no one has been able to effectively, consistently, duplicate.
3. Role models - There are plenty of great people in metal. These five guys like to have a good time but within reason. They're not out there causing havoc off the stage. Young bands should look to them as an example of how to conduct themselves in public.
4. Stage presence - If you haven't seen them live, well, you should. Watch the most available videos, Cologne, Summer Breeze 2007, Bloodshed over Bochum to give you an little idea of how good they are live. Then actually go see them. They're that good.
5. Support - For one, Metal Blade Records. Hopefully they will continue with them after this album. They surrond themselves with good people and it has paid off.
6. Johan Hegg - Not to take anything away from the rest of the band but no one else has Johan Hegg. He simply has no peers right now in his vocal style and stage presence. The guy is incredible.

Look, I love metal and vikings. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a metal band, any genre you can think of, who isn't singing about vikings, mythology, paganism, etc. There are many bands that do it extremely well, and differently, Tyr, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Turisas, King of Asgard to name some of the "big" ones, but when all is said and done, to me, Amon Amarth is at the top of the mountain. For the foreseeable future I do not see that changing. Check out the band Vinterblot and their album Nether Collapse. They are from Italy and if they can follow up their first album with another solid release they will be a band I continue to watch. Still not AA but interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: grivera503
I completely agree with you thornh, I have listened to a lot of similar but 'not exactly' similar bands to Amon Amarth.. and I have to say that AA are truly unique!

And in my opinion bands like Bolt Thrower, Summoning and Windir are unique as well..

That's also my conclusion. As for me deciding however is point 2 (including voice style from point 6 of course) The other items just are additional goodies. First time listening to Amon Amarth was like "love from the first sight" and that's a matter of sound style I guess. Of course there are some other bands I had similar experience with. But actually these bands are not that similar to Amon Amarth. So, yes, there is NO band like Amon Amarth.

I completely agree with you thornh, I have listened to a lot of similar but 'not exactly' similar bands to Amon Amarth.. and I have to say that AA are truly unique!

And in my opinion bands like Bolt Thrower, Summoning and Windir are unique as well..

And Agalloch also.:)

amon amarth is unique, but you can try kalmah, its a pretty similar sound and, like aa, theyre awesome in their own way. look up a song called hades