I could swear hell just froze over (metallica's new setlist)

Snowmaker said:
Wow, no Enter Sandman???

Yeah, I think that's actually a plus. Here's the setlist for yesterday night in case anyone was interested. Probably even better than night 1!!

Blackened
No Remorse
Ride the Lightning
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
Creeping Death
Whiplash
Leper Messiah
Master of Puppets
One
Battery
Harvester of Sorrow
Seek and Destroy
Hit the Lights
So What
Breadfan
Damage, Inc.

Dunno, it's just one of those things. I've heard from a guy who knows someone who was in the studio when Metallica recorded the Black Album who says that it's not Lars playing the drums on it... Don't tell anyone. :D

I'm going to see Metallica next month on a big festival here in Holland. I think Metallica is okay. Not good, but not bad either. My brothers listen(ed) to them and that's why I also started to listen 'metal'. If Metallica wasn't there, I bet I was listening to Britney Spears right now o_O

Macy said:
Dunno, it's just one of those things. I've heard from a guy who knows someone who was in the studio when Metallica recorded the Black Album who says that it's not Lars playing the drums on it... Don't tell anyone. :D

This "guy" you know is full of shit. Have you ever seen the Year and a Half videos? It shows Lars recording the drum tracks for various songs. I'm not saying he's good, but the parts on the black album are relatively easy but there are multiple instances where it shows him recording the tracks.

I'm not suprised so many people are giving negative responses about Metallica in a prog metal band's forum though. Prog metal fans are notorious for being "metal snobs."

yeah, i have to say metallica got me into metal, and i am not strictly a prog metal fan, so i am not a metal snob... i just don't like metallica based purely on lars (both skill and personallity). I think they are overrated, and i just know there are better bands that won't be sharing a bill with limp bizkit and linkin park.

alright ive heard the "metal snobs" comment before from people and i admit that if someone listens to prog thats usually how they turn out, but many people dont like metallica....and not because those people are "metal snobs"
personally, metallica, like some other people here, got me into metal in the first place...their older stuff of course....but i cant stand them anymore after all that ive seen from them in the past few years, ive lost respect(not all, but alot) for them and ive come to realize that theyre just middle aged guys going through a midlife crisis and realizing that they've lost something along the way and cant figure it out...they are highly overrated by both, their fans(who they dont really care about) and themselves...thats all
their music has gone downhill and theyve gone with it

BastrdDrmr said:
This "guy" you know is full of shit. Have you ever seen the Year and a Half videos? It shows Lars recording the drum tracks for various songs. I'm not saying he's good, but the parts on the black album are relatively easy but there are multiple instances where it shows him recording the tracks.

Haha, that's what they want you to think! Just a cover-up in case it leaked out, I'd say. Of course he may be full of shit, but it is no news that people hire studio-musicians and take the credit themselves. And the people who do that are usually the ones who suck - like Lars then.

Oh, and the guy who said it is a person who is a professional musician/producer/soundegineer and he knows a person or two, so it's not exactly coming from anyone. Just worth a thought.

For those interested, here is the setlist for the 3rd free show at Fillmore. This one wasn't posted at www.metallica.com so I had to do some searching. A couple new tracks leaked into this setlist (ick) but Fight Fire With Fire was added. \m/ Seeing as how Leper Messiah and Blackened have made it on the setlist the first 3 nights I think these are sure to be played at Summer Sanitarium.

Fight Fire With Fire
Fuel
Leper Messiah
St. Anger
Seek and Destroy
Frantic
Harvester of Sorrow
Ride the Lightning
Sad But True
Fade To Black
Blackened
------
The Four Horsemen
Phantom Lord
------
Die, Die My Darling
Blitzkrieg
Hit the Lights

Macy said:

OOOHHH let me guess. UM, was it actually Zack Hanson? :lol: :tickled:

Macy said:
I don't care if you belive me or not. I guess ignorance is bliss for some.

I think you took my joke the wrong way. I wasn't being sarcastic to you. Lars sucks so much that he could probably have someone as crappy as little Hanson play for him and that person would probably sound better. Thats what I meant.

If I was going to a Metallica I too would be happy to hear their older stuff more than their new, but when a band has a new album they usually promote the songs by playing them live and they aren't doing that. It looks as if they're trying to encourage the old fans to start buying their new album by playing the songs that made them popular back in the day.

Macy said:
Haha, that's what they want you to think! Just a cover-up in case it leaked out, I'd say. Of course he may be full of shit, but it is no news that people hire studio-musicians and take the credit themselves. And the people who do that are usually the ones who suck - like Lars then.

Oh, and the guy who said it is a person who is a professional musician/producer/soundegineer and he knows a person or two, so it's not exactly coming from anyone. Just worth a thought.
That's illogical at best, what's the point of getting a studio musician to lay down drum tracks (wich are more simple than his earlier works) and learn the parts by yourself and play them? James would be pretty damn stupid if he permitted that, it's a lot easier to pick a full fledged drummer to lay down and play his own drum tracks. Anyway, Lars sucks so much because he's not a dedicated musician (specially nowadays). The guy doesn't practice enough, he was decent in the early days (considering the time period), but now he's too lazy to practice and play some decent tracks.

Dream Symphony said:
I think you took my joke the wrong way. I wasn't being sarcastic to you. Lars sucks so much that he could probably have someone as crappy as little Hanson play for him and that person would probably sound better. Thats what I meant.

Oh, I see. I took it like it was the Hanson guy who said it to me. Well, it's hard to know some times.